Welcome to our Gymnastics Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

I can't kickover!!!

Glomallow

Gymnast
Fan
Jan 21, 2019
Country
New Zealand
Hi all,
I've been trying to get a back kickover for ages and I can't seem to kickover from the backbend. If anyone has any suggestions please post!!!:)

Glomallow

Gymnast
Fan
Jan 21, 2019
Country
New Zealand
I'm on holiday right now and I'm desprate to get my back kickover! Any suggestions?

triplethreat+1

Proud Parent
Sep 10, 2016
Ontario
Country
Canada
The coaches at my dd's gym start by having the kids do rocking bridges, progressing to raising a knee when rocked over shoulders.
Once ready to do the actual kickover, they have feet higher than hands to help them get over.

JessSyd

Proud Parent
Oct 10, 2013
Sydney Australia
Country
Australia
The Australian section doesn’t get much traffic and is generally used for discussing the system, program changes, specific competitions and things like that rather than skills. You might get more answers if you post in the gymnast section.

Isla_gymnast37

Gymnast
Jun 11, 2019
Country
Australia
Maybe try kicking over off a high surface then make it lower and lower until you have it on the floor.

AliyaFan76

Gymnast
Fan
Apr 7, 2019
Country
USA
It takes some time, but just think about pushing as hard as you can off of your leg, pulling your hips over your shoulders, and pushing through your shoulders.

Cmumgym

Coach
Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
Apr 26, 2019
Nsw
Country
Australia
Start with a platform a box or ledge on your feet and slowly lower that platform. Shoulder flexibility training is extremely important.

Tea

Gymnast
Jul 2, 2019
Country
United Kingdom
My suggestion would be to kickover from a high platform like panel mats, and as you get more comfortable keep lowering them until you've reached the floor. If you don't have panel mats you could use boxes at home or just improvise?