WAG I can't tuck!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

How flexible are you? That may be the cause because I have boney knees and it looks like they do not straighten all the way! But yet I am pretty flexible? Are you able to do it with a spot? Or is it a fear?

How flexible are you? That may be the cause because I have boney knees and it looks like they do not straighten all the way! But yet I am pretty flexible? Are you able to do it with a spot? Or is it a fear?
I'm not vary flexible. do I need to be flexible to tuck? I can do a tuck jump it's just when I'm up side down I don't tuck.

I'm not vary flexible. do I need to be flexible to tuck? I can do a tuck jump it's just when I'm up side down I don't tuck.
I would not think you would have to be flexible to tuck. But, when you flip are you flipping slow or fast? As for the squat on at my gym we do not have to bend in a squat all the way so it's like a half-ish bend.

ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1424023333.019808.jpg
this is the position we are supposed to do in a squat on. If that's what yours looks like I would think that would be fine! But if your gym has a policy on straight leg/complete bent legs then you would have to think of it as a pile stretch or a "frog squat"

Sorry I don't know if I'm helping but, do you grab your legs in a front tuck?

Hmmm..? Trying practice backward rolls and tucking got knees in all the way to your chest. Pulling them in is key to your situation. Make sure you think in your head repeatedly "tuck in to chest" or some kind of phrase to help or remind you! I hope this was helpful or I at least helped some :)

Also I did read something that does say you need to have flexibility! ;)

Hmmm..? Trying practice backward rolls and tucking got knees in all the way to your chest. Pulling them in is key to your situation. Make sure you think in your head repeatedly "tuck in to chest" or some kind of phrase to help or remind you! I hope this was helpful or I at least helped some :)
Thanks!

Just to add, your core could be weak, which causes you to be unable to pull your knees in. A tuck jump takes some core strength, but you can still achieve a decent tuck position by using the momentum from the jump. When you're in the air or doing a squat on, it requires more strength. You can do sets of what we call "lemon squeezers". You lie on the floor in a hollow position with your arms above your head, then pull your legs in to a tuck position & bring your arms down next to your knees & return to the original position. You can do these in sets of 20, or work up to that if you can't yet. It's important to make sure that you are hollow when you are extended & not arched, which puts pressure on your back. If necessary, you could put your hands under your bottom for support to start out. Tuck ups hanging from a bar will also be helpful, but I don't know if you have access to one. These two exercises will work the strength & help you get the feel for the tuck position.
Another problem on your tumbling could be that you are whipping your shoulders back for the back tuck & your chest down on the front tuck. Since you said you flip fast, it sounds like that may be the case. When you initiate the rotation by whipping the shoulders around, it will make your rotation very fast & uncontrolled, which is why a lot of gymnasts have trouble tucking. You want to "set tall" with your arms above your head, then once you set up, initiate the rotation by pulling your hips up & over in the tuck. Imagine that there's a rod through your shoulders & you're flipping around that. Right now, you're probably flipping around a rod in your hips. Have your coach spot you on a lot with this as the focus.

well, there is a first time for everything i guess. would sure like to see this on video. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back