WAG I Don't Know What To Do

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

XP20

Gymnast
So, earlier today, I made a thread (To Quit Or Not To Quit) and I was pretty sure I wanted to quit but was unsure how to tell the people close to me and what I would do afterward. But after tonight's practice I think I might have a different perspective. I am just not sure if I will always enjoy practice like I did today or if it was just "luck". I know that I have decided to wait until the end of the season to decide whether or not I want to quit, but now I feel like if I do I will miss out but if I don't I will regret it and be miserable. Some people have suggested I take time off but if I do that I feel that it will be really hard to get back in the game if I decide to stay. Plus I feel like I have no one to talk to because I don't want to tell my parents in case it isn't true and I certainly can't tell my teammates, and people who don't do gym won't understand. And on top of that, my back injury is making me change my beam acro and I have a meet in two weeks and no skills I could put in. (If anyone has any suggestions to replace a back walkover back walkover on beam that is easy and doesn't require bending my back, for platinum, pls tell me :))

Yes, a Cartwheel-cartwheel connected is probably the easiest one. If you can do a round-off, that is a "flight" so you don't need to connect it to anything.

As for quitting, no decisions need to be made yet. Try sticking out the season - without mentioning to teammates - and see how things go. I have a teen daughter, and I really get how hard it is to push through injuries. Consider talking to your parents, not just about quitting, but about your struggles and what you are thinking. I think you may be surprised that they will have good advice for you!

Maybe you had more fun last night because you took the pressure off yourself after deciding to make a decision after states?

The thing is, good practices will come and go. You are looking for something deeper than that - a true joy and commitment to the sport that pushes you forward, even after bad practices. I'm not saying that won't happen for you, but be aware that your emotions about an individual practice are fleeting and only as good as the next practice. Keep working hard, exploring how you are feeling. Maybe you should start writing in a journal after practice, if you don't already. Sometimes, being able to look back and see your collective thoughts and feelings makes a decision much easier than if you are just making it in the moment. Best wishes to you! And seriously, talk to your parents. You don't have to know what you want to do, that's what they're there for - to give you guidance!

My DD had back issues for a long time and had good success on beam with a cartwheel-roundoff. I'm glad you've decided to hang on.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back