WAG I don't see the point of this!!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flipomaniak

Gymnast
Ok so I had a backhandspring step out (flick) back tuck connection on beam. It seemed pretty good, I could do it on the competition beam without nerves or fear. Then my coach had me start flicks layout step out on the extender beam. I had to do these almost everyday. My coach said that this was a must for level 10 and that no more flick back tucks! So I suddenly had to start working flick layouts on the low beam and slowly got up to doing it on the high beam. The thing is, it's very inconsistent. I fall on more than half and I get very nervous when I have to do them. Like I go for it but i get nervous and I have to really focus. Plus I fall on most of them (no bad falls though).

I know that flick lay is worth the same as flick tuck, so why was it a MUST? What was the point of learning a whole new series, going on the low beam again, ect. And it's so inconsisntant that wouldn't it have been better to just stick with the other consistent series? Plus the fact that flick lays make me nervous and jittery...

So what's the point? And was it worth it to switch? And do you agree with my coach?

It must be frustrating to be working on a series that is worth the exact same thing as your old one. However, as comfortable as you were with your old series, bhs layout step out is a MUCH better series.

Not only does it flow better, but if you look at elite gymnasts, almost every time they will do a layout step out in their series as opposed to a back tuck.

Also, since you already have a good series, there really isn't any harm in having you work on something new.

Good luck with your series, and I hope that this was at least a little helpful!

I wonder if it's easier to spot the beam? I mean in my experience my tucks are more of a blind landing than layouts because the layouts on beam end up looking like more of a whip. And I also agree completely with GetaGrip.

Its easier to connect the layout step out to a third element and allows for more progressions i would say.

You're probably rushing through your take-off on the lay-out. All beam tumbling takes is a take-off that provides the energy to rotate while traveling in a straight line away from the end you start at. You've already proven to have a good and consistent take off, so try to get the initial stretch away from the beam and then follow through with the layout motion. If you start the lay-out motion before your take-off is well established your direction can be influenced by the slightest imbalance of arm swing, chest lift, hip lift......and more. So concentrate on establishing energy in a straight line away from the beam, and that straight line energy will dominate the rest of the skill to keep you in alingment.

IMO, yes a must for level 10. Had a daughter go to level 10 Nationals twice. She did a flick back tuck one season of 10 and a flick lay next season. Both level 9 daughters did flick lay in level 9. More impressive to do the flick lay. Like another poster said, just watch college and elite gymnastics, it's a flick lay all the way! Keep working on it:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back