Parents I Hate the Cold Weather...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hope it warms up soon for all of you. I can just imagine how stir crazy everyone is inside, since it's so hard to go out!

Here in the Caribbean we don't have temperature extremes, hot or cold. We are in short sleeves and flip flops all year no matter what. Gym will only be cancelled for the occasional tropical storm in the summer/fall.
That's it. I'm moving there!

Hope it warms up soon for all of you. I can just imagine how stir crazy everyone is inside, since it's so hard to go out!

Here in the Caribbean we don't have temperature extremes, hot or cold. We are in short sleeves and flip flops all year no matter what. Gym will only be cancelled for the occasional tropical storm in the summer/fall.
I lived in Africa, ON the equator (almost literally... only a few miles away) for a few years in my early 20's, but at a high enough altitude that it wasn't ungodly hot. Highs in the 80's every day, lows in the 60's every night, low humidity, 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of dark year round. Seasons were "short rains", "long rains" and... I don't know... no rain? Even during the rainy seasons, it never (and I mean NEVER) started to rain till after 4 or 5 in the afternoon and never rained past 7am. It was, quite possibly, as close to absolutely perfect weather as exists anywhere. The song from the muppet movie... "I'm going to go back there someday" springs to mind. Someday when I can spend money on plane tickets rather than gymnastics, I guess.

I am guessing that people who live in such beautiful places, like the Caribbean, don't get "bored" with their weather! That's a common phrase around here-I work in public service so weather is something to talk about it with customers......people often say if they lived someplace where the weather was nice all the time, they'd get bored with it. I'd like to try boring! The snow storms and polar vortex are getting boring!

I am guessing that people who live in such beautiful places, like the Caribbean, don't get "bored" with their weather! That's a common phrase around here-I work in public service so weather is something to talk about it with customers......people often say if they lived someplace where the weather was nice all the time, they'd get bored with it. I'd like to try boring! The snow storms and polar vortex are getting boring!

We don't bored with it as such, but we do appreciate it when we get to experience something a little different. One of my favourite things about going to the meet in South Carolina in November is seeing the beautiful fall leaves! And even though we grumble about how cold it is when we are there, I secretly like it, just because it's different.

On an everyday basis, having predictable, even temps makes it easy to dress for things. It means we don't have to have a wardrobe for every season. We can do all of our outdoor activities year-round. There are definite advantages. However, the humidity in the summer months will kill you!

P.S. people still talk about the weather here, but we talk about rain. Just like you guys further north, we have been seeing unusual weather patterns, such as rain when it's the dry season and vice versa. And we can go from brilliant and sunny to torrential rain in 5 minutes, and then back to brilliant in 10! So rain can be a little unpredictable, and we have to always have a rain plan for outdoor events.

Billise, I hear Florida is pretty cold right now too. I hope you Floridians can arrange for warm weather for the Sand Dollar Invitational in 2 weeks. I'm counting on it!

I agree! We are headed down for that meet as well...warm weather would be great. Of course, warm to us (shorts weather) is 50s, so i guess we will be happy regardless!

I agree! We are headed down for that meet as well...warm weather would be great. Of course, warm to us (shorts weather) is 50s, so i guess we will be happy regardless!
Yes, this week was miserable! 2 days where the high temps never got out of the 50's :) Next week is suppose to be pretty chilly too with highs only in the high 50's and low to mid 60's most of the week. Hopefully we are getting all the "chilly" weather out of the way now, before you guys head down for the Sand Dollar! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back