Parents I Hate the Cold Weather...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ok, so we had winter break at the gym from December 20 to January 5. Our next meet is January 11 at HOME.
Well, today, practice was cancelled due to the extreme cold (wind chill in the -30s) and it is being cancelled tomorrow too. There is a High School Meet at the gym on Wednesday, so no chance to make up a practice then. We have our regularly scheduled practice (2.5 hours) Thursday... and coach has added an extra practice on Friday.
I know that there are some girls who did their conditioning over the break or went to an open gym at another gym, but there are also some who didn't.
I am so worried about these girls. I want them to do well at the meet since they will all have family watching.
Please keep your fingers crossed for my girls (all 46 of them).

Our weather is the same here, but it doesn't cancel practice...... Unless we can't drive due to copious amounts of snow or ice. Is it just that you are so unaccustomed to it or is there limited heat at the gym?

Ha! School is cancelled tomorrow due to the extreme cold, so practice got moved up. It may be too cold for school, but apparently it's never too cold for gymnastics! I wish it was too cold to go to work. I am not a cold-weather person, but I could get behind a day at home in front of the fire... other than leaving to drive to gymnastics, of course.

I know this is not helpful, but you could move to Australia. We're enjoying summer here at the moment. ;) Seriously, I hope that the awful weather you're having ends soon.

Same here. Had two practices canceled last week, and DD's first L3 meet is this Friday! Ugh!

Good luck to your girls, raenndrops!

Our weather is the same here, but it doesn't cancel practice...... Unless we can't drive due to copious amounts of snow or ice. Is it just that you are so unaccustomed to it or is there limited heat at the gym?
if the YMCA itself is closed, then practice is cancelled... even though we aren't at the Y.. .we are at an "old" middle school (the district houses it's IT department there, but it was closed as a school when they built a new one in 2002... but they will be reopening it next year for a new tech program)... the schools were closed too - and all they were supposed to have today was staff professional development.

There was rain last night before a steep temperature drop, so there is a LOT of Ice too!!! And for some reason, as cold as it is, the rock salt isn't working, lol.

Windchills are -40ish here and yeah, we still have practice. No school yesterday or today. I wish they would have moved practice to earlier in the day, but I guess logistically that might be too hard with parents working and people coming from all over.

I wish I could take all my kids to the gym because they are going stir crazy at home.

Windchills are -40ish here and yeah, we still have practice. No school yesterday or today. I wish they would have moved practice to earlier in the day, but I guess logistically that might be too hard with parents working and people coming from all over.

I wish I could take all my kids to the gym because they are going stir crazy at home.

Same here....My kids are driving each other nuts! Yesterday they made dance routines to space unicorns....If I hear that song one more time....

Raen, when DD was on the Y team, it was the same... if school was cancelled, there was no practice. Very frustrating since the hours they had to practice were so limited already.

Billise, I hear Florida is pretty cold right now too. I hope you Floridians can arrange for warm weather for the Sand Dollar Invitational in 2 weeks. I'm counting on it!

Ollie, there is a song called Space Unicorns? I have not had the pleasure. On an only slightly related topic, DD is going to the Pink Invitational next month and when I start to type "Pink Invitational" into Google, one of the choices that pops up is "Pink Invisible Unicorn." How can something be both pink and invisible? And why is this a common google search?

Clearly the cold has addled my brain.

Houston is cold for us, we are in the 20's at night. Hopefully it will warm up soon. I put it on fb knowing that my family and friends in Michigan would laugh and they did. Mary A, How is your dd doing as a first year level 8? We haven't heard a meet report from you yet.

She actually hasn't competed as a level 8 yet... A long story involving an aborted camping trip. I'll post on the BA group after her meet this weekend. Let's just say that I suspect she has another year of level 8 ahead of her. ;)

It is terrifying sitting in Australia reading news reports about a type of cold that most Australians cannot begin to imagine. The storms in the UK are something else too.

Meanwhile they are predicting up to 54 (129.2F) in the shade for parts of Australia today. Parts nowhere near me thankfully. Our gym will never have to close due to the cold, but apparently it will close if it gets too hot. It hasn't happened to me yet, but with another heatwave forecast for next week I might get to find out. In our gym, the parents sit on a raised loft area near the gym ceiling, overlooking the training area. It is always much hotter there than it is on the floor so training on an extremely hot day becomes an endurance test for parents as well as the girls and coaches.

Can never picture what it would like to be in the minuses. Havering a nice Sumer over in Australia! :)

Raen, when DD was on the Y team, it was the same... if school was cancelled, there was no practice. Very frustrating since the hours they had to practice were so limited already.

Usually, school being closed doesn't affect us... but if the YMCA is closed, then we are closed... and if it is a Level 3 Snow Emergency, we are closed (That's the only time I ever remember the YMCA being closed too). This is the first time in the 8 years we have been involved that they have closed w/o a Level 3 snow emergency... and the schools have been cancelled at least 5 days a year (some years 10-14+ days).

We have had practices and gone to meets in Level 1 and Level 2 Snow Emergencies... it is a matter of leaving early.

I think part of the problem is that the sidewalk slopes DOWN toward the doors... with all the rain... then the rapid freeze... then the snow and 40 mph+ winds, it might not have been possible to even get SAFELY to the doors to open them.

Hope it warms up soon for all of you. I can just imagine how stir crazy everyone is inside, since it's so hard to go out!

Here in the Caribbean we don't have temperature extremes, hot or cold. We are in short sleeves and flip flops all year no matter what. Gym will only be cancelled for the occasional tropical storm in the summer/fall.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back