WAG I have a question about Xcel/prep op competitions ....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Bajanswife

Proud Parent
Do your gyms travel out of state/country for Prep op or Xcel meets? Are there many meets that incorporate both tracks in the same meet? Do you need different judges for prep op/Xcel? The reason I am asking is that we have had a request by a foreign club to add novice optional to our meet next year and we don't currently train or compete prep op/Xcel in our region at all. I don't know first of all how hard it is to include that category in a JO meet, and secondly I don't know if this club will have anyone to compete against! I guess I am just wondering how likely it is that we will get any clubs from the US willing to do a travel meet to Barbados for their Xcel/prep op teams. I am guessing not many!

My DD is currently an XCel gymnast and we did travel to Florida for a meet this past January. The one thing I did notice is that within XCel there are different criteria in different states and countries. Our girls competed directly against girls with far greater skills and girls with far less skill. Plus, rumor has it that our gym may compete in cancun this year. Maybe I should mention to them that barbados would be much more fun! LOL

Traveling out of state for Prep Op is going to be easier once it becomes Xcell and it's standardized across the country. Right now it's just too different. That said, every IN state USAG meet we went to last year had a Prep Op category, which I don't think would have been the case even just a couple of years ago, so it's definitely taking off. It's the fastest growing group at our gym.

The biggest thing that I'd beware of is the travel cost. Many gyms use prep opt as their "less intense"/"lower committment"/"less expensive" option to their JO program. I can not see many of the parents agreeing to travel to barbados for a meet.

I would be weary of setting this up for the one team that is requesting it, only for them to compete against themselves. As far judges, the meets that we have been to all have both xcel and jo and they use the same judges.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back