Parents I have to anty up

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I took DD to the gym today for open gym. We had practice cancelled. Well I gave 3 objectives for the practice. She needed to get her dismount consistent on beam, her handstand and hold it, and her shoot through. She hasn't been going it consistent. I told her I would take her leo shopping tomorrow if she got all 3. I am thinking this is a tall order.

Well 3 hours later we have our dismount, handstand, shoot through, and almost got the mill circle. A little motivation goes a long way. I swear making a deal with DD is like making a deal with the devil. I was so proud of her hard work and getting the skills but what are the odds that that would all happen in one open gym. The only thing we didn't work was the front hip circle. She was even teaching a much older Lev 4 how to do the shoot through. It was so cute.

So that being said I am off to Reading tomorrow to fullfill my deal. My friends were laughing telling me I better learn my lesson. DD told me tonight what we are looing for tomorrow. I think I am in big trouble.

I swear making a deal with DD is like making a deal with the devil.

It may well be, you can't really bribe your way through and to every skill. The financial and emotional implications can be too big. Remember she is little now, what will you do when she is 14?

IMHO that is of course.:D

Cute story! She is 5, right?? Be careful what deals you make with her because at this rate she will probably be getting a new cell phone before she is 7 years old!!! LOL I know the "deals and bribery" seems very innocent at first and it may seem like a great motivational tactic at first, but eventually it will backfire on you.

But, all in all, great job to your dd for working so hard and getting those skills!!

OOhhhhh shopping! That must have been a huge motivator, LOL

I don't really have to give my DD anything, she likes me to leave her "mail" when she gets a skill. Her "letter" is usually a note done on the computer w/gymnastics image on it and date...I get off easy.

Let me know how you make out in Reading. It's only about an hour from my house and I would love to go but I am afraid I might spend too much money in there.

I might just try a handstand on a balance beam if someone promised to take me shopping, lol. Congrats to her on her skills.

I might just try a handstand on a balance beam if someone promised to take me shopping, lol. Congrats to her on her skills.

Okay Flippy, I double dog dare you to do a handstand on the high beam at the gym, post the video on youtube, and I'll buy you a new pair of gap jeans.

Bog

Okay Flippy, I double dog dare you to do a handstand on the high beam at the gym, post the video on youtube, and I'll buy you a new pair of gap jeans.

Bog

You do realize I just might try it - of course that is if my kids let me - they might be afraid I'll break a hip or something.

Oooh oooh--can I play??? What do I get if I do a cartwheel on the high beam??? LOL You know Bog and Flippy--you two may have just started the "Chalk Bucket Challenge"!!!!!!!

So....what do I get, what do I get?????

LOL, as much as I would love to go shopping there is no way I would be able to the do that. Plus, it would be pretty hard to go shopping if I had a cast on my arm or leg, LOL

ROTFLMAO...the "ChalkBoard Challenge" Invitational

Open to all "older" gymnast with almost no experience.
Warm-ups begin when ever you want and last as long as you can without requesting O2
Ambulance will be on hand for those that need spotting, splints and cervical collars
Goody bags to all who survive which will include band-aids, nail glue and ice-packs.

ROTFLMAO...the "ChalkBoard Challenge" Invitational

Open to all "older" gymnast with almost no experience.
Warm-ups begin when ever you want and last as long as you can without requesting O2
Ambulance will be on hand for those that need spotting, splints and cervical collars
Goody bags to all who survive which will include band-aids, nail glue and ice-packs.

OMG--I love it Blackie!!!!!!!! We gotta do it!!!!

You all crack me up. We always reward both of the children when they get things that have been a challange. When DS got his wrist shot we purchased him an all star jersey for practice. We NEVER go over the top just little insentives. If he gets a hat trick in a game he then gets a new video game or something.

DD has had a HUGE fear of those skills on the beam and I was feeling a need to go shopping anyhow. Yes I am a HUGE shopper and so is DD. So it really worked out. I try to make two trips a year to the store and I like to do one in the fall. So that was the reason for my bribe so to speak. I know many don't agree with incentives but in our house we do use them. I had them as a child and they worked very well. Of course my parents put HUGE incentive on the table. For one compeition I had a car on the line, diamond earings. That was my parents way. I go far far far lower end for the kids but they are appropriate things for what they are doing.

BTW DD already has a cell phone so she wont be getting a new one for a long long while. DS is bugging me for his. DD's is pink and she is happy until she learns to text message then we will have to upgrade at that point.

I am so excited for our trip. DD woke up this morning telling her daddy guess where we are going to get me NEW LEOTARDS!!!!! She has this all worked out in her little mind what she is looking for. She wants a halloween leotard. I hope they have something that will work for her. She has her snowman one for the winter holidays. LOL. She is a silly little 5 year old. I swear.

Well gymnasticsgirl I think it is very honourable of you and your family to try to keep the nations economy afloat single handedly.:D:D Personally I love to travel so every penny I don't waste on eating and putting a roof over the kids head goes to schlepping around the planet.

As for the Chalkbuket Challenge, I seem to remember someone not long ago doing a front tuck on floor, they of course will have to perform a double back layout on the floor. We could assign a handicap like in golf based on weight, age and previous gymnastics experience ooh yes and alcohol consumed!!! Ah the fun I have with you people is priceless, anyone want to move to Quebec?

Omg you guys are too funny with your invitational! It would be an unfair advantage to compete, so I humbly offer my victory dance services to anyone who gets injured yet prevails. I'm thinking along the lines of Karolyi when he picked up Kerri Strug, so get ready to be tossed around. I also promise my best (aka the worst ever) Russian accent to lend an air of credibility to my 'coaching'!

I totally understand the point thats being made about 'buying' skills or hard work, but I'd be a liar if I said I've never done it. There's a list of 'intangibles' I pick from for everyday goodness from her. Just stuff she enjoys and would like to do more, like another bedtime story, or measuring ingredients when I cook. We have a 'treasure box' at home that she gets to raid an item from at the end of the week if she got all good behavioral marks at school and did her chores without having to be asked. It's silly stuff like bouncy balls, little notepads, stickers, fake jewelry, ring-pops, that kind of thing.

For the biggies, I've been known to buy her a coloring book, or a leo, or take her out to ice cream. I try to keep the item related to what she did well at (leo for gym, tights for ballet, coloring books for school, that kind of thing), but it's still buying something for a skill or behavior essentially. It's fun to take her out and have her choose a reward at the store, she gets so excited! I hope the OP and DD have fun with their outing, it sounds like it will be awesome. Maybe I'm fooling myself, but she remains polite and without expectation so far. If she morphs into a greedy 'GIMME' kid suddenly I suppose I'll know who to blame lol!

Well gymnasticsgirl I think it is very honourable of you and your family to try to keep the nations economy afloat single handedly.:D:D Personally I love to travel so every penny I don't waste on eating and putting a roof over the kids head goes to schlepping around the planet.

As for the Chalkbuket Challenge, I seem to remember someone not long ago doing a front tuck on floor, they of course will have to perform a double back layout on the floor. We could assign a handicap like in golf based on weight, age and previous gymnastics experience ooh yes and alcohol consumed!!! Ah the fun I have with you people is priceless, anyone want to move to Quebec?

Oh snap, I didn't see this before I posted. I'll be happy to drown myself in either Newcastle or Tequila sunrises and then bust out my drunken gymnastics style. If anything it would only improve my Russian accent :p

I am assuming that you are referring to my front tuck Bog, that I haven't done in a looooong while! Man! I was so motivated back then and went to my Saturday morning 90 min adult class religiously!!! And I even did open gyms a couple times a week as well! But, that was a while ago and now I do pretty much nothing so trying to attempt a double back layout would be truely a challenge! I would probably end up breaking my back as well!! LOL

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back