Parents I know gymnasts are small..but

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I did this a few months back (post on first page) but here's the update for DD#1 who is now my height:

At 11 years and 9 months:
your child is 95 pounds, and that is at the 61st percentile for weight.
your child is 63 inches, and that is at the 92nd percentile for height.

I don't know what little Monkey's ht & wt are...will update tomorrow.

It's been a while...

My dd called me this afternoon to tell me that they had physical fitness tests today at school in gym where they also took their height and weight. She was a little upset to hear that she hasn't grown a lot since last year. Poor baby girl is in 6th grade now and it seems like all her friends are towering over her :(. I told her not to worry in that I didn't hit my growth spurt till I was in 8th grade. Here are her stats as of today:

At 11 years and 7 months:

your child is 69 pounds, and that is
at the 9th percentile for weight.

your child is 55.5 inches, and that is
at the 15th percentile for height.

Well all three of my kids are small, but Mamma and Daddy are as well. Our 6 yo DD is wearing still a size 4, and she just told me she is the second shortest in the class. She weighs about 44lbs. My 12 yo DS is even tinier than I remember my older DD. He currently just reached 54in. and is 80-82lbs on a good day. He has always been on the 5% since he was born. So clearly, he nor our 6 yo gymmie will never be very tall.

I will have to look at what my daughters height and weight are tonight and do the calculator. Will be interesting to see.

Also since Shawn was out of gymnastics for almost 2 years doing other stuff she has grown now. She grew 5 inches. Not saying that happens to everyone.

At 9 years and 7 months:

your child is 69 pounds, and that is
at the 50th percentile for weight. your child is 52 inches, and that is
at the 26th percentile for height.

According to the hight predector she will be a very tall 5"5, LOL

DD had a HUGE growth spurt & weight gain over the Summer, she will start to this out now that we are starting season again. She's one of the youngest in the group but not the shortest.

Last edited:
Also since Shawn was out of gymnastics for almost 2 years doing other stuff she has grown now. She grew 5 inches. Not saying that happens to everyone.

Shawn Johnson??? Wow-that is a big growth spurt. I think she was around 4ft 9in when she competed in 2008. I bet she is so psyched now to be over 5 feet tall!!

I'll have to measure my daughter tonight, but I believe she's about 38# and 42". Here's what the calculator gives me:

At 4 years and 11 months:

your child is 38 pounds, and that is
at the 40th percentile for weight.

your child is 42 inches, and that is
at the 44th percentile for height.

She just in the past year or so has started to come down from the top of the chart for height. From the time she was born until past 3 years old she was always 75-90%. She's usually around 50% for weight so she's down from that. I think in the past 2 years she's only gained maybe 2-3 lbs. She a little tall and definitely a string bean. :D

Shawn Johnson??? Wow-that is a big growth spurt. I think she was around 4ft 9in when she competed in 2008. I bet she is so psyched now to be over 5 feet tall!!

Yes Shawn Johnson. This is from an interview she did.

Johnson is five inches taller than she was in Beijing, when she was a powerfully-built 4-foot-7. Hitting 5-feet was a welcome milestone for her life outside of gymnastics, but more of a millstone for her return. “Coming back to gymnastics, it makes things a lot harder,â€￾ she said. “But I like it.â€￾

Those height prediction things were never right for me, I was a string bean until I was 9 and I reached 5' and I haven't grown an inch since.

And there is an old wives tale that works quite well, in my experience. Add the parents heights up and divide in half, add 5 inches for a boy and take 5 inches off for a girl.

And there is an old wives tale that works quite well, in my experience. Add the parents heights up and divide in half, add 5 inches for a boy and take 5 inches off for a girl.

Wow. That comes out way different from the height predictor calculators online. Those list DD's future height at around 5'7" (same as me) but this old wives' calculation only gives her 5' 4.5". I had to do it twice to make sure I was doing it right! LOL

I've heard this, but I've heard add 2" for a boy and take away 2" for a girl...which seems about right to me. If I did 5" either way, my daughter would be 5' 3", which could happen, but my son would be 6' 1". Given that I'm 5'6" and my husband is 5'10" that doesn't seem likely, thought I guess could happen.

If I do 2", my daughter comes out to be the same as me, 5'6", and my son would be same as my husband, 5'10"...funny that it happens like that. I think it's just because we're 4" difference in height.

Last edited:
At 6 years and 7 months:your child is 52 pounds, and that is
at the 69th percentile for weight.
your child is 49 inches, and that is
at the 83rd percentile for height.

She definitely looks older than 6. :D

So two years later, here's where she is:

At 8 years and 11 months:your child is 65 pounds, and that is
at the 55th percentile for weight.
your child is 54 inches, and that is
at the 76th percentile for height.

She seems to have slowed down a bit. :rolleyes:

When I look at my 5 year old dd, I really don't see her as being small. When she is with other kids is when you really notice it. She doesn't even reach her classmates shoulders! She is in proportion but will be lucky if she reaches 5 feet even fully grown. I think the charts say right under 5 feet. She swims in size 4 clothes.

LOL! Fun to revisit this. Here's where my dd is:

At 8 years and 11 months:

your child is 54 pounds, and that is
at the 17th percentile for weight.

at the 8th percentile for height

So she has come up a tiny bit on the charts. Yay! I know gymnastics has put a lot of muscle on her but was surprised to see how little she still weighs when we weighed her the other day. I guess that is still over 10 lbs of weight gain in two years - pretty good. Still in size 12.5 shoes; mostly 6X clothing. :)

My little one just took a five month break from the team and was off her adhd medicine for the summer. At her 8 year check up, she was in the 3rd percentile for both weight and height. I could tell she had grown, but I didn't realize how much. She still likes for me to hold her and she is getting so heavy! Glad you posted this and that I went and checked her.

At 8 years and 5 months:

your child is 48 pounds, and that is
at the 8th percentile for weight. your child is 49 inches, and that is
at the 16th percentile for height.

She wears size 5/6 slim street clothes and has a tiny foot--toddler size 11 1/2 and some 11s. She is one of the smallest kids in her class at school. Summer clothes are easy for this skinny girl, but winter pants are going to be a problem--thank goodness for slims!

Last edited:
I just weighed and measured mine and I was a bit off.... Here's her updated stats:

At 4 years and 11 months:

your child is 40.2 pounds, and that is
at the 56th percentile for weight.

your child is 43 inches, and that is
at the 65th percentile for height.

So she's a tall little string bean. She seems so skinny, but at the same time she seems "solid"...if that's possible. For height I have to buy pants that are size 5 (though for shorts/capris she's still wearing a couple that are 3T), but her waist is so tiny that I have to cinch them in as tight as I can. Thank goodness for adjustable waistbands!!

At 5 years and 11 months:

your child is 37 pounds, and that is
at the 8th percentile for weight.

your child is 43.75 inches, and that is
at the 25th percentile for height.

Children's Growth Chart Percentiles Calculator

At 8 years and 2 months:

your child is 51 pounds, and that is
at the 22nd percentile for weight.

at the 23rd percentile for height.

Fun to see the difference. DD appears to be following her height curve, but she has put on some weight!!! I guess muscle really does weigh more.

Here is my daughters

At 6 years and 11 months:

your child is 54.2 pounds, and that is
at the 69th percentile for weight.
your child is 47 inches, and that is
at the 36th percentile for height.

My daughter is 8 years, 2 months. The indicator has her at 9th percentile for weight (@47 lbs) and less than 3 percentile for height (at 46 inches). At the doctor's office she has always been low but always in a higher percentile for height than weight.

The predictor had her growing to 5' 2" which doesn't seem that off to me.

The old wives tale predictor has her at 5' 1.5", so not that much different. At gym she blends right in although quite a few of the girls are 6 & 7. I changed dd's age on the indicator to 6 years 2 months and she went into about the 55 percentile in both.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back