I lost my back handspring but can't seem to get it back in the right form.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Last may at my gymnastics recital i had my round-off double back handspring all by myself with no spotter and started working on back tucks. But this summer i was out for two weeks and when i came back i couldnt even do a round-off back handspring. Ive been working on my back handspring since then. I can do it now but its just really weird. I either jump straight up and not back very much or undercut a lot and sometimes my hands dont even touch the floor. My gymnastics coach and i are both comfortable with my doing it by my self but i just want to get it in the right form so i can start working on higher levels. Any suggestions? Thanks! :)

Have a teammate or coach stand behind you to catch you. Stand in front of them in a small squat (as if you're sitting down). Lean backwards (keeping your back straight) and right before you start to lose your balance swing your arm up past your head strongly (this is where you would need someone to catch you).

That's the kind of motion you want to have when you do your backhandspring.

Good luck and keep working at it :) You'll get it back!

I had a similar problem myself after i hurt myself doing a backhandspring the bhs just felt weird and i couldnt describe it but i felt that if i really concentrated on the elements within bhs it made things easier because i could think about what i needed to and slowly correct each problem and if another were to arise i fixed it (or found a way to) and continued. Its hard and annoying sometimes but its gets easier and they will become more comfortable. Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back