I need help keeping my legs straight in my back fulls.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I can do my full twisting backflip on the trampoline, but for the life of me I can't keep my legs straight! I practiced layouts with my arms to my side, but when I tried it in the twist I forgot to use my arms to initiate the twist. So, I started practicing my layouts with my arms crossed, but neither of these have helped me keep my legs straight. Has anyone else dealt the the same problem?

Thank you!

Sounds like you're trying to twist with your knees. Try to use other body areas to twist - hips and shoulders, for instance. Normally a kid that keep their legs straight is actually using their legs to twist and often crossing their feet. Try visualizing the skill feeling rotation in your shoulders and hips, not your knees.

Thanks!

Now that I think about it, I think I am trying to twist with my knees!

My coach says that I'm not kicking my feet over fast enough.

Does this mean I should put more power into my backflip?

I know it's hard to give advice without being able to see what I am doing. Maybe I should post a video so that it will be more clearer what I'm doing =).

Thank you for your advice =).

Video

I couldn't find where to edit my post, sometimes it's there and sometimes it's not...

I uploaded a video so you guys can see what I'm talking about =).

Keep in mind I've only been doing Gymnastics for 3 months now, so I'm still just learning =).

09.30.08_-_77_Fulls.mpg - FileFront.com

EDIT: (This edit button seems to only last for a certain amount of time...)

Anyways, I am very open to try different techniques and not afraid to try any suggestions. Any suggestions are helpful.

Thanks!

Someone look at my video? I never post videos of me on the internet (for other reasons).

It's my first time doing so, actually.

I guess my first question would be - can you do a good regular layout? It would be hard for you to get your legs straight on a back full without a plain layout somersault.

If you can, there are lots of drills to do. I can give you some ideas if your coach hasn't already come up with some for you.

p.s. in many of those fulls it appears you are twisting right off the ground rather than setting up the salto.

Yeah I can do a normal layout. My gym doesn't know much about trampolining because it's mostly just floor exercise. I am pretty much self taught on the trampoline, so my layout may have problem as well. I will upload a video of my layout as well.

EDIT: The videos right after those fulls were actually me practicing my layouts...

Here they are...

I do 2 layouts then I try to do a full with my hands to my side on accident, so I cancel.

http://files.filefront.com/093008+78+Layout+Layolmpg/;11997312;/fileinfo.html

So, I start practicing my layouts with crossed arms to get used having crossed arms and also keeping my legs straight, then I will add the twist (hopefully) later.

http://files.filefront.com/093008+79+Cross+Armedlmpg/;11997313;/fileinfo.html

But I'm just making these drills up myself =/. As you can probably tell =).

Thanks for the response =D.

EDIT: Also, why is it important that you delay the twist so that you don't do it off the ground? Wouldn't it make sense to start the twist as early as possible? I will delay the twist, but I'm just not sure why, I will definitely give that a try!

Thanks!

Yeah I can do a normal layout. My gym doesn't know much about trampolining because it's mostly just floor exercise. I am pretty much self taught on the trampoline, so my layout may have problem as well. I will upload a video of my layout as well.

EDIT: The videos right after those fulls were actually me practicing my layouts...

Here they are...

I do 2 layouts then I try to do a full with my hands to my side on accident, so I cancel.

09.30.08_-_78_Layout_Layol.mpg - FileFront.com

So, I start practicing my layouts with crossed arms to get used having crossed arms and also keeping my legs straight, then I will add the twist (hopefully) later.

09.30.08_-_79_Cross_Armedl.mpg - FileFront.com

But I'm just making these drills up myself =/. As you can probably tell =).

Thanks for the response =D.

EDIT: Also, why is it important that you delay the twist so that you don't do it off the ground? Wouldn't it make sense to start the twist as early as possible? I will delay the twist, but I'm just not sure why, I will definitely give that a try!

Thanks!

Delaying the twist ensures that you get the proper amount of "set" or "height" or "rebound" (Whatever you want to call it) so you can actually do the layout position. Once one becomes an experienced twister and flipper, you will notice triple twists for instance being done with the twist initiating as SOON as the feet leave the ground. However when you are just starting out, one normally learned to twist with their body at 12 o'clock (or upside down). Every coach does this differently - some people ask for different angles.

I have coached with two very good trampoline coaches, and they teach their athletes as well as the team gymnasts to do layouts and spot the middle of the tramp. Often there is an "X" or some marking in the middle. They are asked to spot the "X" before twisting. That is something to think about.

That's great advice, I will definitely try that. Can you give me some of the drills you were referring to before? Thanks =).

Also, are those proper layouts? What do I need to do differently? Thanks =).

The layout position is pretty straight from what I can tell, however it appears you aren't really setting up before pulling your feel around. If you watch the vids you'll see that your body rotates around your head, and the height of your head doesn't really get any higher when you jump into your layout. Does that make any sense?

I'm not so sure what you mean. I assume by 'feel' you mean to say 'feet', right?

So you are saying the height of my head doesn't really get any higher when I jump into my layout because I am not really setting up before pulling my feet around?

What do you mean by 'setting up'?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back