Parents I want a gym bus!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mommyof1

Proud Parent
I am posting this as a new thread so as not to take the other thread off topic. I just have to say that I want a gym bus to come pick my kid up from school and take her to practice! It would save so much time, hassle, and $$$$$. Alas, I have not heard of such a thing in our area.

I agree....that would be cool! But I'm thinking it would only work in a bigger city, where everyone is close by or there are several kids all at the same school? No one else at my DD's school goes to her gym.

Our gym is tiny, but they do have a little minivan they use for this purpose. It's really for the after school program, but I know a couple of team kids use it.

I remember having a conversation with a mum of a junior national squad member. They spent some time in South Africa. She told me that when her DD started school at 5 all the little people were lined up in the school hall and were tested by the local University. Basic test like if they could catch and throw, running, jumping, flexibility. If they had real natural talent they were then sent home from school with a letter telling mum and dad what sport they excelled at.

Her daughter was picked up as a gymnast. She got picked up from home in the morning at 7, was taken to the gym, trained fro 2 hours, was taken to school. In the afternoon was picked up from school, taken to the gym, trained and then dropped home. The same happened to the swimmers, cricketers, rugby players etc.

Bliss !

Lol we have said the same thing. Dds teammates are also her school mates and we could have the bus round them up lol. Oh how it would free me up a little bit :)

There are several gymnasts on team that are going to different schools, but the schools are not that far from each other. We parents could probably get together and organize a taxi driver with a van to do this if we were really motivated. It would take someone to organize it, find the right driver, price the service and collect the money etc., but it could be done. Seems like it could get complicated though.

you would probably have to contract a service (plus a regular contract would be less than a one off) and get the parents to pay in advance, there's always one who never seems to have the cash right now !

We were very lucky, our school bus happened to pass right by the front door of the gym, so it dropped off the team kids from our school.

Worked great for me. Of course pick up was an 80 min round trip.

My dd rides a school bus to gym. There is a stop right across the street. It makes my life so much simpler only having to pick her up. The one day a week she doesn't go to gym she rides a different bus to our house or walks with her siblings if the weather is nice.

If your gym is located within the school district geographic limits of your gymnast, look into busing. For us, it only took putting the gym address down as the afternoon address. DD was dropped off at the door.

Isn't that called a carpool? Here is the gym is in the same district as the schools, they will frequently drop kids at the gym. That has never been an option for us though.

Our gym offers it, but it is technically for their after school care. You can't just get a "ride" for team. Well, you can but you have to pay the full fee, which is something insane like $500/month.

I want a gym bus to take us to meets, lol. It would be so nice not to have to worry about my brother getting lost (even with GPS & printed directions, it never fails... he gets lost at least 3x per season)... then, this "car baby" could sleep on the way to the meets.
It could be like: have your gymnast to the gym at x:00 am if you want her to ride the bus. You can come ride the bus too or come when it is time for her session.
If you drive separately, you can take her home with you. If she is riding the bus back, we will text when we are an hour away from the gym. We will stay until the last session of awards are done.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back