I want your IGC Info

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Wow Lynn,

That is just great, that is exactly the info I have been waiting for.

I am thrilled that your DD had a blast and got to try out some higher level skills.

Based on what you have said I think my girls would love it. I am off to bed now as we are off to Gymrep in the morning, a week without the girls, weird!

Lynn,
Just wondering what you packed for your DD for the week at camp. Mine is going in a few weeks. What did she bring? Did you call her? Here is a strange question, but did she leave her shampoo, soap, toothbrush etc in the bathroom or do I need to send her something to carry them to the bathroom in? Did you bring rain gear (I am not sure what that is, but it is on their list)?

Is there anything she wishes she brought with her, but did not?

Any other tips?

Igc

My daughter has been to IGC the past 3 years, and already can't wait to go back next year for her 4th! She uses Christmas and birthday money to pay the deposit (my way of know she really wants to go) The cabin counselors are mostly from Ireland and Australia, and are great with getting all the girls to know eachother. There was a cheer the first night and each cabins did there own, so they got to know eachother right away, . My daughter made friends with someone from Canada, and seemed to always spend time with girls who weren't necessarily from her gym. She enjoyes meeting new people. When they were placed in groups, she told me they asked what the goals were of the group and worked from there - they picked the skills to work on. It is definately more structured that Woodward. The do have a sports camp, but it is located down the road and has separate facilities. I love being able to check the pictures each day. You cannot visit the camp during the week. They are tight with security. One mom who picked up an injured camper had to wait in the office while they got her, she wasn't allowed to walk through the camp. You can walk about during drop off and see the different gyms. It is a great place! I'm sure if you decide to try it, your girls will love it.

Stuff to bring

They can do laundry while at camp if the need to. My daughter has only gone for 1 week, so I just send her with enough. Definately need lots of leos. Don't bring a trunk if you can help it - they don't fit under the beds. They have bureaus in the cabin, and each girl get 3 drawers where she can leave shampoo and stuff. The showers are right in the cabin, so they won't really need anything to carry it in. The do need to bring towel, facecloth, etc. They need sleeping bags, bottom sheet, pillow. They may also want to bring a flat sheet as they sleep in bunk beds and if they are on the bottom they may hang the sheet from top bunk for privacy. If she wants a top bunk, plan on being there when they open the gate as they usually go first. My daughter also brings a flashlight (the bathrooms are right in the cabin, but after lights out it helps to find them). Rainwear is just a raincoat or something in case it rains, since they are outside when switching gyms.

You can call, I believe only certain hours (it's on their website). Has to be during their "open" time only. I did call this year. I wasn't on hold very long. I have not called the past two years, but she was excited I did call this year. I've heard it can be hard to get through sometimes, but I didn't have any problems. If you are going to mail anything, mail it the day or so after dropping her off. Mine brings favorite stuffed animal and picture of family. We also send her with note cards and stamps, even though we sometimes don't get the letter until after she gets home. The don't allow cameras, cell phones, MP3 players, video games, etc., so leave them at home or in the car. If she has grips, she should bring them since they are on the bars for about 45 minutes every day. When you get there, you can visit the canteen (camp store) - they sell leos, t-shirts, shorts, etc. You can buy them at drop off or pick up in case you didn't leave too much canteen money.

Hope she has a great time.

Hi Gymmom14: I think Flippersmom covered everything and more than what I would've thought to say, even detailing that each girl gets three drawers. Good job!

Also, make sure you refer to the "packing list" supplied by IGC. You'll need to remember to bring a fitted sheet for the mattress and then her sleeping bag goes on top of that. When we got to camp, the counsellors actually did say that they were allowed to keep Ipods w/them at camp. BUT, the whole point is to have the girls interact w/each other and participate in activities, so why have an Ipod? Katy did NOT keep hers w/her.

I'm so excited to hear that everyone who goes has a fantastic time!

-Lynn

Bogwoppitt, her club was there week 1. (Burlington) She's heard all about it and is just happy to be training again, now! But this IGC place sounds pretty awesome... I may have a look online

Last edited by a moderator:
We have family in Burlington and hear great things about the club there.

Next year my girls will do week 5 at Gymrep and most likely the week of IGC that falls around the 4th July, it looks great.

I would love to have a Chalkbucket week at one of the camps, we get along great, I'd love for our girls to meet.

We have family in Burlington and hear great things about the club there.

Next year my girls will do week 5 at Gymrep and most likely the week of IGC that falls around the 4th July, it looks great.

I would love to have a Chalkbucket week at one of the camps, we get along great, I'd love for our girls to meet.
Wouldn't that be great?!? Even better if we could "coordinate" a group and get a further discount on the cost of attendance!!

-Lynn

What a great idea, that would be so much fun - as much for us all to get a chance to meet as well as the girls (of course my dd would be the one desperately trying to sneak in cell phone).

regarding swimsuits for IGC!

My dd didn't go this year, but went two summers ago, and I loved it! She didn't like Woodward as much as IGC, and I loved how much safer and more stuctured IGC was than WW.

My only complaint about IGC is that they did NOT tell us in advance that they don't allow bikini bathing suits and I'm not talking about string style. My dd had two or three suits with her and all were from Limited 2 and again, were not the skimpy string style. Before I left, she started to change into her swimsuit and was told (point blank) that they can not wear those kinds of 2 piece suits, and that they must wear one piece or longer tankins. It was a pain, but I went home and on Monday I overnighted (US mail) her two tankin suits. She doesn't (and didn't then, either) own any one piece suits.

Although I don't agree with their ruling on this, I can respect it. I just find it frustrating that they did not mention it at all in their paperwork. Perhaps that has changed since we were there and maybe they do now mention it, but in case they don't, I wanted you all to be prepared.

What I found frustrating, though, was that in a few of the photos, I DID see a few girls wearing two piece suits that were not tankini style. You can even see some of those in their advertising photos.

I'm totally confused by this post... DD took bikinis w/her to IGC. Of course they weren't any micro styles or anything like that... Her first year she ONLY took one pieces, but then told me that very few of the girls brought one piece suits. In the camp literature, it only states that they have to bring "appropriate" swimsuits.

Bathing Suit

My daughter told me she she could wear her two piece, but was told she needed to wear a t-shirt when she was just walking around. If she was in the pool or where the make a waterslide, she was fine in just her two piece (which wasn't a takini).

Maybe she just had a very strick counselor, or was older. My dd is only 10 and this was her 3rd year.

It was 3 summers ago that this happened to us, but we were told that ALL girls with two piece suits that were not tankinis had to wear a tee shirt over their suit, even while in the pool. Perhaps she did have a more strict counselor, but I did make a phone call before sending that very expensive package and was told that it was true, so who knows? Maybe they've lightened up their policy. I will say that dd's suit was so NOT skimpy and even had a bit longer of a top than a regular two piece, and it was not ok. At the time, she hadn't even begun to develop (she was 11) and had a very small childish body. Again, maybe they've changed their opinions, but I just thought I'd mention it because it did frustrate me that I had to overnight her tankin bathing suits (which I also had to buy) because my dd will not swim with a wet tee shirt on.

Wish IGC had an adult week, the pictures of the place look amazing - all that foam! Or even Gymrep, it's closer! Is it only Woodward that does?

Wish IGC had an adult week, the pictures of the place look amazing - all that foam! Or even Gymrep, it's closer! Is it only Woodward that does?

Email the owner of GymRep, Robert Majeau, he is very personable. Maybe suggest to him that on one of his gymnastics weeks (they do cheer too) he could add a group of adult gymnasts. There are other accomodations there that could be used besides the dorms and they also split up into small training groups. It is all girls, so there shouldn't really be any issue with having adult women with the younger girls.

There are 18 year old who go and they still have a blast.

If you don't ask you won't get!:D

Email the owner of GymRep, Robert Majeau, he is very personable. Maybe suggest to him that on one of his gymnastics weeks (they do cheer too) he could add a group of adult gymnasts. There are other accomodations there that could be used besides the dorms and they also split up into small training groups. It is all girls, so there shouldn't really be any issue with having adult women with the younger girls.

There are 18 year old who go and they still have a blast.

If you don't ask you won't get!:D

I think it would be fun if we had a CB week like for the kids - parents that maybe weren't current gymnasts and adults attempting it already alike!

I'm too broke this year...depressing, since everyone else at work is taking vacations and I'm covering for them, and I've got a sick cat that just ate my last paycheck as soon as I got it, but next year, if I'm still at it, I may have improved a bit that I might be able to go away for a week and *learn* something! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back