WAG I would like some input on these form of skills.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi

I would like some input on the back handspring and round off instructions in this clinic with Wade Petersen.

March 4, 2011 MOV08635 - YouTube
March 4, 2011 MOV08636 - YouTube
March 4, 2011 MOV08637 - YouTube
March 4, 2011 MOV08638 - YouTube
March 4, 2011 MOV08640 - YouTube
March 4, 2011 MOV08639 - YouTube

This isnt they way i've been told to teach these skills. So I am a bit curious about if there can be consequences later teaching the gymnast to do the round off - back handspring this way. I tried it a bit on a few of my gymnast and they thought it was alot easier to learn it this way then the most common us leaders have been teached when we learnt gymnastics

So far I watched the back handspring and I have to say I don't like it at all. The kid needs to open the arm body angle (don't know how you call it) but with the way he is holding her it is not possible ! The second thing I don't like is the position the kid has on vid no 2 (?). She is laying on that block with an 90 degree hip angle. There is no position in an back handspring that looks like that…and then again he is catching her with the hand on the neck...

Regarding the round off..need to watch the others :)

Ok I am a long ago ex gymnast, but back when I was taught this I remember being told to get my chest up as quick as possible out of the roundoff, so you are coming out in a straight body position, not piked way down like he has this girl doing it. But that is dusty old knowledge,so... Anyone else?

I was taught to finish my roundoff in a piked position, arms beside the ears. I teach this way too. I like the fact that the hand can prevent the head from being thrown too early. But, I think it makes the gymnast keeping her body straight too long.

I once had a gymnast having a hard time arching, even with help. She just wasn't able to get her hand fast to the ground These kind of drills would have made it really difficult for her I think to get the skill.

Well i find the back handspring to be interesting.
If you watch youtube, clinics and from experience at competitions.
You can see so many variation of it.

The start:
Some jump and throw them back
Some do sitt, fall and stretch out
Some do fall, bend knees and stretch out

Not forgetting the arms
Some have them at the side
Some have them more in a hollow position
Some have them somewhere in between the first 2.

The end
Some arc their backs a lot
Some are almost straight through the whole skill

It would be interesting to hear those that knows a lot point of view of what is the correct way.
Or maybe more of what is the advantage and disadvantage with the styles.

I saw these videos a few weeks ago and I had a similar reaction, at least to the round off. I do tend to teach most back handsprings in a "hollow, lean, sit, jump to tight arch" manner similar to his method, though I think the lean in these videos may be a bit extreme. Though that may be an exxaggerated version, as the girl in the video is clearly new to the skill.

However, I have never taught a second variation of a round off like in the fourth video posted. At about 4:30 in video 4, he explains the reasoning. And... While I can understand the reason and the fact that young kids just lack the ability to block properly, I am just not sold just yet on the idea of altering the technique of the round off in order to be able to connect a back handspring to it sooner. I would love to hear input from other coaches about this, though!

However, I have never taught a second variation of a round off like in the fourth video posted. At about 4:30 in video 4, he explains the reasoning. And... While I can understand the reason and the fact that young kids just lack the ability to block properly, I am just not sold just yet on the idea of altering the technique of the round off in order to be able to connect a back handspring to it sooner. I would love to hear input from other coaches about this, though!

Yes...same here...would love to here input on this.

1st video.....I like the implied emphasis given to the notion that the rotation of the bhs is provided by the energy of the jump and a corect body position. His hand on her neck is a message that throwing your head back will only destroy correct body positions and won't help the "flip", just make it harder. The only issue I have is that the kid needs to learn how to keep her head posture without the coach's hand.....and I'm hoping the fall back into the "sit-push" is an exageration.

2nd video.....I'm still hoping the falling backward phase as before her "sit" is an exageration. I think the rest of the presentation falls in line with the idea of creating energy in a smooth line with as few up movements as possible....because when you move up, you'll have to move back down to return to the energy building process of creating linear speed.

The pike.....watch standing round-offs on youtube. I don't think he's trying to coach a pike into the skill, but recognizes that a certain amount of pike depending on the tumbling speed and strength of the gymnast will happen, and is working with the pike to help the kid understand that the roundoff needs to move into the next skill.....look again, and you'll see a hollow happen as she moves out of the pike.

3rd video.....I'm thinking this was not intended for gymnast consumption, but was more intended to explain the body's strengths and weaknesses.

4th video....he wants to slow the roundoff down by having her work it from a lunge position....great stuff really, because it makes the kid work efficiently, gives her a tempo she can relate to, and pays homage to the value of a good round-off.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back