Ideal Skills testing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yes, but it would not be appropriate to post them on a public forum as it is a resource which gymnastics Australia charges for.

You have to buy it from Gymnastics Australia and it is only available to gymnastics Australia affiliated clubs and currently registered technical members.

I think the point that Aussie Coach is repeatedly trying to make is that it is not available for a reason. Actually, several reasons: 1. It is a copyrighted document that is charged for by GA. To freely distribute it breaches copyright and robs GA of income. 2. GA has chosen to make it accessible only to certain people - basically coaches. That's who needs the information, not parents.

Thats all well and good but GA is terrible at communicating with IDP parents I have had exactly zero communications from them in the three years we have been in the IDP program. What I want to get an idea of is what is expected of our girls and what they need to achieve and then I can gauge how far off we are. For instance advice on paediatric nutrition for elite athletes would be awesome, how to avoid injury out of gym, how much sleep should they be getting, how to cope with school, when should we start with tutors because we are missing school (which we already are), stuff like that. as a parent who has never been a gymnast Im having to learn as I go and its really hard when everything is so secret because its Elite! How are we to know what will be expected in the future to help us decide if we should even stay in the program for example. I love that my DD has some great skills and I am very proud of her achievements but to be honest what Australian Gymnast has really made a career out of it - none, thats why we need to make sure they have good lives and get a good education and think forward to a life beyond gymnastics. If I thought that there was no way in the world she would get the skills needed to pass IDP three by the time she is eight or nine I would seriously reconsider staying in the program. There needs to be better info for the parents, I mean what do they think we are going to do with it besides inform ourselves - create little back yard olympians?

sorry addition to my above post: The US even put videos up to help you understand, I would love to see that here. A perfect example is I was watching my DD attempt a move on the bars that I had no Idea what it was called - turns out its a toe on and toe shoot (thanks you tube!) I wanted to know if its in the skills or not.

I've had zero communications from GA in 3 years also, and I am not in the slightest bit surprised by that. Apart from a name on a list somewhere, they probably don't even know my daughter exists, and why should they, until she starts getting nearer the pointy end of things?

Gymnastics Australia aren't your daughter's coaches. Your gym should be providing that sort of information to you about your daughter's gymnastics career. If you want to know answers, ask questions. Ask your daughter's coaches. They're the ones who know your daughter, know her skill level, know her mental toughness, know her ability to learn and pick up skills. Ask the parents of older IDP girls in your club about what it is like for them to support and live with a higher level IDP gymnast, and fit in education and training. For identification of skills etc, look on You Tube. And if you're not getting stuff like sports nutrition from the gym, you can always go and see a sports nutritionist.

Gymnastics Australia's job is not to educate parents about gymnastics. Their job is to run the sport itself.

Reactions: COz
I do believe they have an older version on sale, however I don't know if they will actually seem it to you without a technical number. But even if they do You can't reproduce the material and put it on here because it is copyrighted.

But if you want to PM me at anytime I can help give you an idea of what is going on and what will be expected.

The IDEAL skills are not what is expected to be achieved by a certain age but what would be the ultimate to achieve by that age. Don't feel like your kid is not good enough if they don't have all the skills none of the kids have all the skills. There is not a pass or fail mark for the IDEAL skills test, they just have to have had the test completed to compete at a certain level.

The school business is concerning. In my state the kids training IDP attend the High performance centre and they are encouraged to go to a certain school. There is a bus that takes the kids from the gym to school in the morning and from school to the gym in the afternoon. They have a modified school schedule where a lot of the extra things are left out and they focus on the important subjects. The kids all do very well at school.

Is there nothing like this available to you?

Reactions: COz
I do believe they have an older version on sale, however I don't know if they will actually seem it to you without a technical number. But even if they do You can't reproduce the material and put it on here because it is copyrighted.

But if you want to PM me at anytime I can help give you an idea of what is going on and what will be expected.

The IDEAL skills are not what is expected to be achieved by a certain age but what would be the ultimate to achieve by that age. Don't feel like your kid is not good enough if they don't have all the skills none of the kids have all the skills. There is not a pass or fail mark for the IDEAL skills test, they just have to have had the test completed to compete at a certain level.

The school business is concerning. In my state the kids training IDP attend the High performance centre and they are encouraged to go to a certain school. There is a bus that takes the kids from the gym to school in the morning and from school to the gym in the afternoon. They have a modified school schedule where a lot of the extra things are left out and they focus on the important subjects. The kids all do very well at school.

Is there nothing like this available to you?

I think her dd is only 6 so maybe not old enough for that school yet?

Our kids at 6 have the same opportunities. They attend a certain primary school or a certain high school depending on their age. Its a local state school who have modified their schedule to suit the gymnasts.

Wow that's full on, I don't think we have that here in WA? All the kids training is done after school, unless you are accepted into WAIS (West Australian institute of sport) which I don't know a lot about to be honest, but have heard they are taken out of school for training..?

Our kids of that age should not be missing school either. The training does not start to impact school until they are a little older. But they can still utilise the bus and go to the selected school so they are comfortable there for when it becomes essential.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back