WAG Ideal training hours

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I poked my head into that facebook group but pretty much ran as soon as I saw the kind of stuff that was being posted. It's so harmful, too because so many parents with a child starting in this sport don't know anything about gymnastics and are seeking out a community where they can learn. If that's the one you come across it looks normal for an eight year old to train twenty hours a week and homeschool just to get more gym time. And once a family's in that "all gymnastics all the time" mindset it's really hard to shake.

Same here. I lasted less than a day and left. Luckily, this new mom found CB first. (Lucky for my daughter, too! )

I've been working on a "gymnastics for dummies" kind of list (but I won't word it like that). I'm going to finish it up and post it to both the gym mom facebook groups. Not sure it will do any good but at least I can say that I tried!
I think that's a fantastic idea! And given how talented and successful your daughter is some of them might even listen to you. Maybe call it Gym Parent 101 or something like that.

I don't get it, my kid would be in so much trouble for climbing like that anywhere but the gym or playground. Can you imagine if they fell? I guarantee you they would be looking at holding the store responsible.

I started to go down the wrong road on hours for my youngest. She was invited to pre team at 4 which was two one hour sessions, completely reasonable. At about 4.5 they bumped her up to the older group which was two two hour sessions, nothing crazy. Then she made the bronze team and all of a sudden it was three three hour sessions. We went from 2 to 9 hours in about 8 months. She was exhausted, especially since she did camp as well. We ended up switching gyms more because of some coaching concerns and my 8 year old is doing 12 hours a week now and my youngest is back down to 3 hours for pre team. The plan with her is to possibly just start her at a higher level in competition but take a gradual approach and let her mature a bit, she just turned 5. We don't plan to compete now until next fall.

I don't get it, my kid would be in so much trouble for climbing like that anywhere but the gym or playground. Can you imagine if they fell? I guarantee you they would be looking at holding the store responsible.

I started to go down the wrong road on hours for my youngest. She was invited to pre team at 4 which was two one hour sessions, completely reasonable. At about 4.5 they bumped her up to the older group which was two two hour sessions, nothing crazy. Then she made the bronze team and all of a sudden it was three three hour sessions. We went from 2 to 9 hours in about 8 months. She was exhausted, especially since she did camp as well. We ended up switching gyms more because of some coaching concerns and my 8 year old is doing 12 hours a week now and my youngest is back down to 3 hours for pre team. The plan with her is to possibly just start her at a higher level in competition but take a gradual approach and let her mature a bit, she just turned 5. We don't plan to compete now until next fall.
I did too with my older daughter. If the talent and self motivation is there, they do not need to check out of school and do a million hours at the compulsory levels. Making it too serious and intense at those levels is a sure recipe for burn out and quitting. What the kids need is a good coach, and I question how great some of these coaches are if they think these babies need so many hours.

The most talented kid in my DD's pre-team group, would have lived in the gym by choice. She went through the levels as fast as they could push her. She did three years of preteam (usually they did 4 there for kids who start at 4 y.o.), did 4, did 7, and quit because she suddenly realized how much of life she was missing.

Mom doesn't know for sure that so much so fast contributed, but she's putting lil sis on the slow path.

Reactions: SMH

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back