WAG Ideal training hours

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm at the point where most of those FB group posts drive me nuts. There is a whole category that really shouldn't annoy me, but does: it's those "she does gymnastics every where!" posts. The first type are photos of a girl doing a handstand in the middle of a supermarket or something, and all I can think is "Tell her not to do that. It's not an appropriate place for gymnastics...", the second type is "This is how a gymnast eats cookies/watches tv/does homework" etc. with a picture of a girl in a split or whatever while she's doing the activity. They are completely harmless posts, but the "my kid is so dedicated to gymnastics she never stops!" bit gets to me.
Of course, I should probably just leave that FB group! :p
I’m the wrong one for those because my gymnast has never ever done gymnastics anywhere but in a gym. She’ll see some of those sometimes when we are sitting together and either ask why or comment that it doesn’t seem safe or like a good idea. I don’t think I could bribe her (not that I would, but that’s another thread) to do a flip on concrete, sand, or in a store. Not even on mats at home. :D

I don't think it's necessarily staged. In her early years, my dd did do gymnastics whenever and wherever she could. It wasn't until she was diagnosed with Osgood- Schlatters and her knee hurt all the time that she stopped the constant gymnastics. I do avoid the Facebook groups, though.

Me too. The doctors office (or shopping mall, or whatever) is not the place to do back handsprings, or cartwheels or handstands...
And no your kid does not naturally do their homework in a handstand for hours on end, you totally posed them that way...
The best are the people who have installed ropes in their kitchen ceiling for rope climbs and the videos of chin ups on the fireplace mantel. Both featured on instagram. My kids enjoy gymnastics but they would look at me like I was out of my mind if I installed a rope in the kitchen. They don't do gym at the supermarket or the mall either. The floor is dirty.

The best are the people who have installed ropes in their kitchen ceiling for rope climbs and the videos of chin ups on the fireplace mantel. Both featured on instagram. My kids enjoy gymnastics but they would look at me like I was out of my mind if I installed a rope in the kitchen. They don't do gym at the supermarket or the mall either. The floor is dirty.

I know! I remember one where a girl was doing a handstand in an elevator and her long hair was dragging along what looked like a very dirty floor. I wondered if her mother had her wash her hands after that handstand. ick.

I was a part of one of those FB groups. I scrolled for about 5-10 minutes and

Ropes in the kitchen? There are no words.

And I just saw a post on one of the Facebook groups where a mom was wondering if she should move her (just turned) 4 year old to pre-team, pre-team that practices 10 hours a week. I can’t imagine the hours a level 3 or 4 must do at that gym, if a 4 yr old on pre team is doing 10.

I saw that and my jaw about hit the floor. Seriously do these people want to rob their kids of a childhood just so they can burn out at age 7? I wonder if this would ever cause regret or resentment down the road between these parents and kids. People are crazy. It’s why I think someone should set an hours limit to protect the kids from fame seeking parents.

I think I’m part of the group because it’s a train wreck, I just can’t look away. And sometimes the crazy is funny. The posts that drive me crazy are the “we are taking a vacation and will miss one day of practice, where can my Xcel bronze train at while she is gone?”

I saw that too....and the mom isn't concerned at all about the 10 hours per week of training, shes concerned with how her 4 year old will be accepted by the "older" girls (the 5 and 6 year olds)
I am part of those Facebook groups and I made a snarky comment on a post, although it was very true and quite funny.. But I think i had lost my mind because without a doubt people post on those forums and DO NOT want advice that goes against what they are wanting to hear! I lost someone in which i thought was a friend due to that post because she thought i was out of line.. and that made me really sad, but then really what kind of friend judges someone based on a silly facebook comment right?

I saw that and my jaw about hit the floor. Seriously do these people want to rob their kids of a childhood just so they can burn out at age 7? I wonder if this would ever cause regret or resentment down the road between these parents and kids. People are crazy. It’s why I think someone should set an hours limit to protect the kids from fame seeking parents.

I think I’m part of the group because it’s a train wreck, I just can’t look away. And sometimes the crazy is funny. The posts that drive me crazy are the “we are taking a vacation and will miss one day of practice, where can my Xcel bronze train at while she is gone?”
I commented on a post like that before.. someone was going to California for a week and wanted to find a gym for her daughter to practice at a few times while on vacation.. I simply said have her do cartwheels on the beautiful beaches! Her reply was of course.. well my daughter really wants to go and she loves it.. ugh i just can't..

I commented on a post like that before.. someone was going to California for a week and wanted to find a gym for her daughter to practice at a few times while on vacation.. I simply said have her do cartwheels on the beautiful beaches! Her reply was of course.. well my daughter really wants to go and she loves it.. ugh i just can't..
Yes. Whatever. Just like the kid with the rope in her kitchen is just begging to do rope climbs for TOPS day and night at home in the kitchen. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: SMH
Yes. Whatever. Just like the kid with the rope in her kitchen is just begging to do rope climbs for TOPS day and night at home in the kitchen. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
My daughter would die if i put a rope in the house! Not ever going to happen! We do have a foam roller, does that count for gym equipment?

Someone got mad at me this week because I said her kid wouldn’t lose skills over a 4 day break for Thanksgiving!!

Someone got mad at me this week because I said her kid wouldn’t lose skills over a 4 day break for Thanksgiving!!
I just don't get it? Maybe they just don't know better? My daughter has been in the sport for over 7 years and maybe i used to think that, but heck even if she did .. she will get them back! It's not the end of the world right?

I can see maybe if a kid asked to do one practice at a different gym just to see how different gyms work or to meet new girls or something fun I would *think* about it but probably not cause its going to take away from MY vacation time ;). My daughter asked for a rope in our garage at one point I laughed and said she would crack her head open. But in less than a year no more requests for home conditioning equipment lol she gets plenty at gym now. She has never asked to go to practice on vacation or worried about missing in fact she likes the break. I think the kids that *want* more hours is just cause the other girls at thier gym do more hours and they are picking up on that "dont want to be left behind" energy that is a lot of places these days. I am realizing things ramp up quickly there is no need to rush it with asking for more classes/hours/privates I try and remind others of that but often they dont want to hear it.

Lily has been on vacation all week, with strict instructions from her coaches not to step foot in the gym. She's had the most enjoyable week just being a kid!! I know that when she goes back to the gym on monday that it's going to take a few days to get back in the groove and she'll probably be pretty soar the first few days but it was totally worth it!

Lily has been on vacation all week, with strict instructions from her coaches not to step foot in the gym. She's had the most enjoyable week just being a kid!! I know that when she goes back to the gym on monday that it's going to take a few days to get back in the groove and she'll probably be pretty soar the first few days but it was totally worth it!
Coaching (and parenting) done right!!

I feel like other moms need to hear this. If Lily on her level is taking a week off, then all the little level 3s and 4s can as well. Not sure it would do any good though.

I poked my head into that facebook group but pretty much ran as soon as I saw the kind of stuff that was being posted. It's so harmful, too because so many parents with a child starting in this sport don't know anything about gymnastics and are seeking out a community where they can learn. If that's the one you come across it looks normal for an eight year old to train twenty hours a week and homeschool just to get more gym time. And once a family's in that "all gymnastics all the time" mindset it's really hard to shake.

I feel like other moms need to hear this. If Lily on her level is taking a week off, then all the little level 3s and 4s can as well. Not sure it would do any good though.
I've been working on a "gymnastics for dummies" kind of list (but I won't word it like that). I'm going to finish it up and post it to both the gym mom facebook groups. Not sure it will do any good but at least I can say that I tried!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back