Parents Ideas for displaying child's medals from meets

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Finished up our first year competing at level 4. Wow it sure was exciting with all the ups and downs of placing and not placing. We bought our daughter a medal holder at one of the meets and it's pretty full :) which is a great thing. So that had me thinking long term. How do parents of older gymnasts display their medals? I don't think I can buy too many medal holders. That just seems like it would get expensive fast and there is only so much wall space. Any creative ideas out there? My daughter said one of her friends had a shoe rack on the back of her door and it was full of medals. She said another older gym friend (high school girl) had her entire wall covered in medals (sounds cool but I can't picture it!). So if y'all have any ideas you'd like to share, i'd appreciate it!

They just hang from the bed post. There are a ton of them and it's a big mess, but that's where she puts them.

We haven't had a lot of meets with medals so we have them on a hook. The majority of our meets do ribbons. We used a 4' piece of heavy gauge jewelry wire and strung it with beads. We used metal scrapbook letters to spell out Level 4 between the beads. The ribbons can be looped over a bead so that they stay spaced evenly and don't slide around. The ribbon display is attached to a hook at each end that is also used to display the ribbons. A simple shelf is mounted above for her trophies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

DD's Grandfather built a shelf that is about 18 inches down from the celing on one side of her room it holds most of the trophies. On the bottom side of the shelf are wooden pegs about 2 or 3 inches apart and she hangs her medals from that.

We also just finished up our level 4 couple weeks ago. We used cork board and pushpins to display her ribbons and medals along with her scorecards. We also mounted a simple self on the wall to display her trophies.

DD's Grandfather built a shelf that is about 18 inches down from the celing on one side of her room it holds most of the trophies. On the bottom side of the shelf are wooden pegs about 2 or 3 inches apart and she hangs her medals from that.

We have this as well, but a small shelf. Dd puts current yr medals and trophies on it. The medals from former yrs are kept in keepsake boxes. Special trophies are spread around her room. She determines what is "special". Usually that means 1st place but she loves her ozone trophy so that will probably stay up next yr, even though it wasn't 1st place.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I have a few of these types of shelves in my room:
log coat rack shelf 5 peg.jpg

When I first started competing, I put all of my trophies and medals on a shelf like this. Now that I have been competing so long, displaying all the medals would be too heavy (Last year I put too much on the shelf...It fell off the wall in the middle of the night. Lots of broken trophies...not pretty. DO NOT hang up a shelf like this above where you sleep!!). I hang a few medals on each hook and the rest stay on my doorknob.

You can purchase a rack like this at A.C.Moore or a craft store fairly cheap, and paint it yourself.

I got something for DD's room that is similar to gymnastbeth's: Beadboard Peg Shelf | PBteen
Works really well for the medals and I place her trophies on the shelf. I will need to come up with a storage solution if she stays in for a while.

Yes, save your 40% coupon for Michael's out of the Sunday paper and you can get one similar to gymnastbeth's for less than $10. My daughter has two of them. You can put trophies, pictures, etc. on the shelf and hang the medals from the hooks.

My daughter didn't like the medal holders she saw because they had hooks that would wrinkle the medal ribbons. So we bought four wooden peg racks at a craft store and painted them. They had about 6 pegs in a straight line (not the accordian style). Then we put them on the wall with two on top (ends touching) and the other two just below the top two (but touching the top two) so it formed two rows with the bottom pegs staggered with the top pegs. It didn't take up much wall space and since the pegs are longer they can hold several ribbons per peg. I hope that all made sense. I would have included a picture but they are packed until we move.

We do similar things like these shelves however between last season and the new season we only keep the gold medals or the special medals and put the rest in a shoe box labeled in her closet where she can see them anytime she wants. Keeps the clutter down and her favoirites out in the open.

I took a 12x12 memory box & put a photo of my daughter in the middle and then put the medals around it (I removed the ribbons first). Saved a ton of space.

I have dowels in their rooms that sit down on Command Adhesive hooks. This one is holding all swim stuff, but the one in my son's room is about half swim half gym. The thing above it is a participation trophy that conveniently, could have the support removed and made into a flat plaque. It's on the wall with Command velcro.
.001.jpg

Got a 12" shelving board from the hardware store for the stuffed animals to sit on and ran a piece of 1"x3" cedar board under it, and simply screwed 2 1/2" wood screws part of the way in. Each wood screw has about 8 medals on it. Starting on the left in '06 at L2 and going to the right up to the optional state championship last weekend. She takes time to write in sharpie on the back of each one. Date, meet, and event.

medal wall

IMG_0175.jpg

She has also been fortunate enough to take home a few trophies. They are on the opposite wall.

trophy shelf

IMG_0176.jpg

I was just informed we need more wood screws! Out of room again.

We just ordered these for all the girls as an end of year gift.

Home

We got a significant discount with a large order and they will also pay back to the booster club. I think like 15% but don't quote me on that.

Yup that wooden one is what DD's grandfather made but DD's is the full length of one wall so its 15feet long (DD has a BIG Room - OK we have a big house with big rooms in general)

Like the one Sam I am has posted a photo of.

We hung them on a curtain rod over her curtains hanging down from the two windows in her room.

We have this as well, but a small shelf. Dd puts current yr medals and trophies on it. The medals from former yrs are kept in keepsake boxes. Special trophies are spread around her room. She determines what is "special". Usually that means 1st place but she loves her ozone trophy so that will probably stay up next yr, even though it wasn't 1st place.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I don't know that I could ever get my daughter to move any of her medals and trophies to a box! But it is interesting to see which ones they determine 'special'!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back