Ideas for goodie bags

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My dd's gym is having a meet on Feb 14 and 15 and we are trying to think of something to give each gymnast. It is a level 5 and 6 state qualifier. We have given out bags and water bottles in the past and are looking for something different. Candy is out because the girls aren't supposed to have candy during meet season. Any ideas for something that only costs a few dollars?

Try these two websites we got some cute things for our girls through them

cartwheels.com

ten-o.com (they offer a discount when you buy in bulk)

T-Shirts are always cool, but that might be too expensive.
Something that has the name of the meet on it are always the best ones.

sorry i wasn't very helpful but good luck!

I would also say ten-0.com.

They will supply free bags with a cataloge and post card for each gymnast.

The also have some very cute socks which are not too expensive. Some even have hearts:

ZD92 Gym Candy Hearts

<< Socks
ZD92_R.jpg

and could go with the Valentine's theme. And who couldn't always use another pair of socks? My daughter has gotten these socks at a meet and loves them! Prices are very reasonable, especially when buying in bulk.

Good luck with meet.

Somewhere on this board someone supplied the CUTEST idea for a goodie bag... I will have to look for it cause I have been thinking about it for some time.

There was like a stick of gum - to stick your landing, a dime for getting a 10... a whole bunch of really great items and saying. Does anyone remember where this was? Or who posted it? It was adorable!

Found it.. of course it was Lemonlime :) - Thank you, I love this

http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/parent-forum/4351-competition-goody-bags.html

Last edited:
We've made personalized luggage tags for each girl competing in our meets. It's a little bit of work, but the girls love them.

Everything you need is at your local office supply: Luggage tags--known as "laminating pouches," business card sheets, and a personal laminator (somebody in the gym surely already has one).

We put a little gym-related graphic, the girl's name, and their gym on each one. You do need to be organized about how you pass them out at the end to make sure there's not too much chaos.

One thing that we received at a meet was one of those fabric bags full of rice that you heat in the microwave. It was made with very cute fabric and embroidered with the meet's name.

Good luck and have fun!

check out www.orientaltradingcompany.com
they usually have really cute Valentine's items - like cute purses that could take the place of a bag - for little $.
there is a company in Ca that sells Teddy Bears w/t-shirts and they print what you want on the t-shirt - these were $5/bear.....I will try to find theri website.

We get the randomest things you can think of at meets. At states last year we got bright pink lunch boxes with a scrunchie and a jump rope.
When my gym hosted states we gave out the state t shirt, shorts from IGC, and then just like candy and little trinkets I don't remember.

For one meet we put all the little goody bag items into a bandanna and used those as bags and the bandanna was a part of the fun.

We get a lot of bottled water in our goody bags. It's kinda lame but they usually include a propel to go mix thingy.

Thank you everyone. Since this is a state qualifier the meet fees are only $35 per gymnast so we have to keep it cheap. So far these are great ideas and really help.

Just out of curiosity, I keep hearing of goodie bags and giving the kids something to take home from meets. In the USA is this done at all meets?

In Australia this is very, very rare. In fact only one comp our girls have competed in in the last 5 years has done this.

This seems similar to the idea of giving out so many placings, in Australia it's 1st, 2nd and 3rd or possibly up to 6th regardless of how many gymnasts are in the even which can often be well over a hundred.

Dont you feel that this promotes the idea that kids should always get "something" when they compete? How do they learn to enjoy competition for competition sake, rather than the "stuff" they get to take home.

Just out of curiosity, I keep hearing of goodie bags and giving the kids something to take home from meets. In the USA is this done at all meets?

In Australia this is very, very rare. In fact only one comp our girls have competed in in the last 5 years has done this.

This seems similar to the idea of giving out so many placings, in Australia it's 1st, 2nd and 3rd or possibly up to 6th regardless of how many gymnasts are in the even which can often be well over a hundred.

Dont you feel that this promotes the idea that kids should always get "something" when they compete? How do they learn to enjoy competition for competition sake, rather than the "stuff" they get to take home.

At our gym, we don't see the goodie bags as a "Sorry you didn't win a medal, so here's something instead so you don't feel bad" gift. We give out gymnast gifts as a "Thank you for choosing to come to our meet and spend your day with us instead of going to one of the 4 other meets that are also being held that day" gift. These gifts are not given out as pacifiers to the girls who didn't place or who maybe had a bad meet. It is done out of the goodness of our hearts and the girls really seem to appreciate it. Yes it is an expense, but they have worked very hard so aren't they worth it?

Now on to the gift ideas.....It seems that in our area everyone is giving out coupons worth $10 to $15 to get a "basic" t-shirt with the meet logo iron-on transfer on it, made at the meet. My DD has a closet full of them. :eek: The company also has many other shirt styles and decals that you can upgrade to for a charge above the coupon amount. The mom that has taken over the gifts for our gym tries to stay away from t-shirts. At our last meet we gave out polar fleece scarves (from ten-o.com). Each gymnast also got a hand beaded gymnastic charm bracelet made by a very talented 10yr old sister of a gymnast. She made 65 of them in about a week. The girls LOVED them!! We are still trying to decide what to give out at our next meet. Maybe key-chains or cell phone charms?

Goodie bags have been at every meet I went to with my team. I see how it can be seen as something strictly materialistic I suppose. I see them as gymbratsmommy does. A thank you for for participating. On a personal note, I love the bags with keepsake type items that mark the date. Once the girls got little wallet sized photo frames with the competition name and date painted on. We won't always be able to perform the skills, so having the item to bring back the memory is always nice to walk away with.

It does seem that if all the meets around your area have them then you must have them too, in order to attract the competitors. I can imagine how it starts with one meets doing it and then the competitiors think it's a good idea and they do it and before you know it everyone is doing it.

The only one we ever had the girls got stickers, a colouring in sheet, a gymnastics cross word, a fridge magnet, a voucher for a free ice block at the canteen, some other vouchers for things around the area and a water bottle.

I once got a gymnast decal to put on a plastic cup they gave us. I also got a journal with the meet's name on it (_____ Cup 2010) with a pen that said the same thing. It was pretty cool.

Goody bags don't happen here in Canada, and our meet fees are about $80 per child. Sometimes I wish we had a bit more of the "fun" stuff at our meets.

Goody bags don't happen here in Canada, and our meet fees are about $80 per child. Sometimes I wish we had a bit more of the "fun" stuff at our meets.

thats odd because here in Alberta, we get goodie bags almost every meet.

Personally, I like it when we get something that we can actually use. My favourite goodie bags would probibly be wrist bands, a gym suit, or these slippers that look like tennis shoes. I HATE some of the junkey stuff they will give out like one time they gave out these giant plastic cone shaped cups. They were useless and didnt hold water without leaking everywhere.

I think it is Quebec that is particularly pathetic where meets are concerned. I know there are some cool invitationals in Ontario that have themes and stuff.

well i kno its after the fact but you could have got grip bags in all different colors and put like socks or something inside

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back