Ideas for level 8 beam series???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jaden

Gymnast
Hey all! I am a level 8 gymnast, and having trouble with a beam series. Most girls do bhs bhs, but at the moment my back and shoulder flexibility is not allowing me to do that... basically anything out of a bhs is hard for me. I can do a back tuck bhs on beam, but my coaches don’t want me to do that because judges and themselves don’t really like the series. Anyone have any suggestions?? And can a back tuck back tuck be done in level 8?
Thanks,
Jaden

I think a back tuck on Beam is a C ... and you are only allowed 1 C acro on Beam in L8, so you could not do BT BT on beam.
What about a RO-BT? RO is a B and if you think you could connect 2 back tucks, you should be able to connect a BT to a RO.
OR Dive Cartwheel - Roundoff with a separate back tuck.

Hey Jaden - I have the same problem with the back and shoulder flex it's really inconvenient isn't it!? Could you do back tuck back pike?

I was asking about Level 8 skills in another thread (they had lots of good input if you want to check it out) They said that you could still do a Handstand BHS for your series you would just need another flight element so you could do the standing back tuck as a stand alone element and do Handstand BHS as the series. I bet the issue with the Back Tuck BHS is that you are likely to pause just enough to not get the connection, when we had girls doing cartwheel cartwheel as a series in level 6 (while they got thier BHS) they had trouble getting credit for the connection. Maybe even Cartwheel BHS as the series and once again have another flight element (your back tuck) as a stand alone skill. you could even get your other flight element as part of your dismount... have a roundoff back tuck dismount for example.

Just want to reiterate that BT BT would not fulfill the series requirement because the second BT or BP would be an unallowable skill as L8 has difficulty restrictions around C acro elements. That connection would result in the loss of the .5 special requirement and a .5 off the start value for the unallowable skill.

BT BHS does count but is difficult to connect. Judges don’t “dislike” that connection, it is just hard to connect those skills. Two backward elements connected require an immediate take off of the second element. Slow connections are considered broken connections for two backward skills or a side to backward connection. So those skills are connectable you would just have to connect them immediately with no delay

Handstand BHS does not meet the acro series special requirement. However a press handstand (not the mount) to BHS will. (Pg 169 item 4.a. of the electronic code.)

Another interesting option could be dive roll to BHS or BT.

Cartwheel to BT or BHS would also meet the requirement but would need that immediate connection.

The additional acro outside of the series don’t have any bearing on the special requirement. Only on the composition deduction, which is up to .2 for acro up to the competitive level. Always happy to elaborate on that if anyone is interested.

Hey Jaden - I have the same problem with the back and shoulder flex it's really inconvenient isn't it!? Could you do back tuck back pike?
Oh that sounds cool! I will definitely try that, but I’m not sure if I’d be able to do that for level 8...?

I was asking about Level 8 skills in another thread (they had lots of good input if you want to check it out) They said that you could still do a Handstand BHS for your series you would just need another flight element so you could do the standing back tuck as a stand alone element and do Handstand BHS as the series. I bet the issue with the Back Tuck BHS is that you are likely to pause just enough to not get the connection, when we had girls doing cartwheel cartwheel as a series in level 6 (while they got thier BHS) they had trouble getting credit for the connection. Maybe even Cartwheel BHS as the series and once again have another flight element (your back tuck) as a stand alone skill. you could even get your other flight element as part of your dismount... have a roundoff back tuck dismount for example.
Thank you so much!! I will definitely ask my coaches about that. Ive done hs bhs on low beam before, so it seems a lot more doable than the bhs bhs. I have a round off into my dismount already, so I’d probably just add the back tuck for extra if I can. I love this idea, thanks again! Also, will you tell me the other tread you were discussing this on? Or attach a link if possible?

Just want to reiterate that BT BT would not fulfill the series requirement because the second BT or BP would be an unallowable skill as L8 has difficulty restrictions around C acro elements. That connection would result in the loss of the .5 special requirement and a .5 off the start value for the unallowable skill.

BT BHS does count but is difficult to connect. Judges don’t “dislike” that connection, it is just hard to connect those skills. Two backward elements connected require an immediate take off of the second element. Slow connections are considered broken connections for two backward skills or a side to backward connection. So those skills are connectable you would just have to connect them immediately with no delay

Handstand BHS does not meet the acro series special requirement. However a press handstand (not the mount) to BHS will. (Pg 169 item 4.a. of the electronic code.)

Cartwheel to BT or BHS would also meet the requirement but would need that immediate connection.

The additional acro outside of the series don’t have any bearing on the special requirement. Only on the composition deduction, which is up to .2 for acro up to the competitive level. Always happy to elaborate on that if anyone is interested.
Thank you for all the info!! This is much appreciated! I will look into these options. :))

Thank you so much!! I will definitely ask my coaches about that. Ive done hs bhs on low beam before, so it seems a lot more doable than the bhs bhs. I have a round off into my dismount already, so I’d probably just add the back tuck for extra if I can. I love this idea, thanks again! Also, will you tell me the other tread you were discussing this on? Or attach a link if possible?
EDIT: I just read the other responses. No worries about your mistake! I would still love the link to the other conversation if possible tho :))

I think this is the right way to do the link :) lots of good info on Level 8 skills for multiple events.

Thank for the explanation. Would a back walkover back tuck get the “up to level”?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back