Ideas for strength conditioning exercies at home

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have a 10yo level 6 gymnast that needs to build up strength (mostly for bars). What are some good exercises we could do at home as a family that would help compliment what she is doing at the gym (I know I need more exercise, too! :) )

Probably the main thing she is working on at the moment is cast handstands.

for cast handstands one thing she can work on is press handstands. Either from sitting on the floor in a straddle (ideal) or from standing in a straddle, but no jumping off her feet.

Arm strength or body/back&tum strength?

All around I would say. In the short term arms for bars but watching the optional girls I know she will need more power all around. She has strong level 6 tumbling skills, just trying to keep her prepped for what is coming I suppose.

Forward grip Pull-ups (works triceps, shoulders and traps), reverse grip chin-ups for biceps, and hanging leg lifts for core. All can be done from a standard home pull up bar. Her goal should be to be able to work up to doing 'her age' in number of reps. It takes time, and practice. Please don't push her to do any of this if she doesn't want too, or doesn't feel like it. Fitness should always be fun - not a chore. Let her impress you.

I would also agree with press handstands from a straddle. To me this is the pinnacle of fitness. Every once in a while my DD will do a few while watching iCarly.

Core strength is always important. There are lots of exercises that you can do for this at home - v-snaps, dish rocks, arches, dish hold, crunches. She can also work on her handstand, but it is important that she keeps a good shape (no arching). She could also work on her flexibility at home.

i totally agree with rocky those all would do reaaly good for her.... this is what rocky said :) Core strength is always important. There are lots of exercises that you can do for this at home - v-snaps, dish rocks, arches, dish hold, crunches. She can also work on her handstand, but it is important that she keeps a good shape (no arching). She could also work on her flexibility at home.

YouTube - GymnasticBodies.com - Cast Wall Walks

These are an interesting element I found in the gymnasticbodies program. They are tougher than they look. 1 repetition isn't so tough but 5-10 are.

More press HS. More HS on the wall or "Wall Runs under GymnasticBodies".

Working some progression of a handstand pushup or doing dips on chairs.

Pullups on a bar at home and leg lifts besides mastering the V-hang (hang on bars with toes to bar and head in between arms (not sticking out) and the L-hang.

If you cannot do an L or V-hang or straddle-L hang ( hang from bar with legs in straddle at 90 degrees at waist/hips like L ), you are not strong enough in your core and need to get there.

I like body levers but they are tricky at home since you need to have a heavy counterweight. The underside of a doorframe works well or having her hold on to a parent's legs.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back