IDP New Zealand

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ashvan79

Proud Parent
I am wondering if anyone has any opinions in the IDP levels in New Zealand, compared to the Step program my daughter is 8 and has been asked to join an IDP Group, It would mean leaving our current gym that we are extremely happy at and I am not sure whether this would be the right move for her.
I have heard that NZ has only ever got half the program is this true? is it worth the time and money. I would love any information you have.

I haven't heard anything about 'half the program', can't comment on that. IDP training will mean a lot more hours and pressure. Some girls thrive on this, others burn out. There is potentially a higher risk of overuse injuries. The IDP girls do become excellent gymnasts with great shapes, tightness and presentation. They can apply for permission to move back to STEPS later on if IDP gets to be too much. I know a few gymnasts who trained IDP for a year or two then transferred back to STEPS. I think in New Zealand you don't have to go through the IDP stream to get to international level, so going through STEPS shouldn't be 'career-limiting'.

I think the hardest thing in your situation is deciding whether to leave a gym you're really happy with. If she later decides IDP isn't what she wants, would they take her back? What is the STEPS program like at the gym offering IDP?

The "worth it" is all very subjective of course.

In addition to the questions above:
How does your daughter feel about gymnastics, does she live and breathe it and ask for more hours/days?
How many hours does she currently train? Do you know how many hours they are suggesting now? In the future? Are you willing to do that?
Are you unhappy with the training that she currently receives?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back