IDP

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My dd was 4 when she was selected in the idp program. I have to say when I took her for the trial I was almost crying as my little one couldn't do anything compared to the girls that were there. I felt so bad that I had put her there then the coaches came out and said they loved her and want her to start there. I couldn't believe it. So
Eventually I found out those girls were 3/4 years older so that was why they were so good. After a few years my dd wasn't enjoying it so
We put her back to levels but then she found that so boring so after a year she is back in the idp and loving it. In the state where my dd is from they don't do many comps a year but that suits my dd she likes to train skills and learn fast. She found national level boring as they spend so much time on routines therefore not learning skills

So the assessment was this afternoon. There were about 15 to 20 little girls. I was a nervous wreck. My dd did well. All of them were very cute. We now have to wait till the coaches go through the data and decide who goes where. Still not sure where where is?

Supportive Mum, We never heard back from you. How is your DD? Is she in IDP or back in NDP? Hope all is well with you and your DD.

Hello all , such great information on here for new IDP mums I wish I had known and had the support of the CB when my daughter first started IDP programme having come out the other side now coming back to national programme, it was a massive commitment on my DD 5 yrs old at the time and her first year at school. Also a big commitment for the family with travelling, fees and uniforms adding up fast. We wouldn't have changed it for anything now she has used the IDP program to progress fast and has skills beyond her age. I also feel IDP made her strong in mind body and soul. It is very tough with long hours and mood swings and emotions from little miss, but they adjust so well and if she really enjoys it go for it !!! Good luck we had WAIS take a little girl from our club this year she is doing so well down there. Such a great opportunity.

Hey all sorry I haven't been on for a while. Well she wasn't taken on by WAIS but she is doing development at her club which she is loving. We are hoping she will get another opportunity to try out come the end of this year. She had only been doing rec up to this point so fingers crossed. She has learnt so much in her development classes so we are still hopeful that she has a successful gymnastics future. TBH I was a little disappointed when she didn't get in. Not sure if they try them out again.

Coaches : Is WAIS the only avenue to international gymnastics within Western Australia?

Hey all sorry I haven't been on for a while. Well she wasn't taken on by WAIS but she is doing development at her club which she is loving. We are hoping she will get another opportunity to try out come the end of this year. She had only been doing rec up to this point so fingers crossed. She has learnt so much in her development classes so we are still hopeful that she has a successful gymnastics future. TBH I was a little disappointed when she didn't get in. Not sure if they try them out again.

Coaches : Is WAIS the only avenue to international gymnastics within Western Australia?

A few other select clubs do train IDP our club has idp1-6 and lots of the girls have been rejected by WAIS but still meet the requirements in our club to be in elite , the girls also do very well at comps against WAIS trained girls ,our club also takes upper national level ,to international comps eg Singapore ,USA

She has learnt so much in her development classes so we are still hopeful that she has a successful gymnastics future. TBH I was a little disappointed when she didn't get in. Not sure if they try them out again.

She can still have a successful gymnastics career in the national program. Very very few girls who train IDP get to compete internationally either.
She may well do better in competitions, have a much nicer gymnastics experience and stay in the sport longer by training NDP than IDP.
I hope your dreams for her future haven't clouded her love for the sport.

The opportunity to compete internationally has not passed her...she is 5 years old. I am pretty sure her club competes internationally as they recently had gymnasts go to japan. She loves gymnastics and is none the wiser about assessment and competition...however she does talk about wanting to be the best and does strive towards this. It's her nature...she is like this academically too. I want her to have every opportunity to be the best as I am sure most mums do but not to her detdetriment.

Last edited:
She loves gymnastics and we still have Olympic dreams
OK well I hope she continues to love the sport and that your Olympic dreams don't cloud that for her. It's a long long slow journey to level 10 ndp or elite idp that very very few gymnasts no matter their talent ever achieve. I hope your daughter gets to enjoy the milestones along the way and relish every one of them, not some long term 'maybe' dream.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back