Parents If you can, support your gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

profmom

Proud Parent
Many gyms are closing, and I anticipate by the end of this week, all or almost all in the US will be closed. We will all face different forms of financial fallout during this period, but some of us are in positions in which we are expected to keep working full time and will continue to get our regular paychecks. I encourage those of you who are in this position to keep paying your gym fees. Don't ask for refunds. Don't ask for reductions. Just keep paying, and let your owners know they can count on you.

Gyms are going to lose all their class income and they will lose team training fees from parents who work in jobs in which their incomes will be drastically reduced. While not having to pay part-time staff will help, it's still going to be a huge blow. We want these businesses to be there when this is over. Let's do what we can to ensure that they are.

ANd some are trying to continue to pay their hourly staff, especially those who rely on it to live, in order to allow them to continue to pay their bills, etc. I applaud that. So, they will need our help to do that! My son is a part time coach, and does not expect to get paid during this, but there are many, many who rely on that for their livelihood.

Our gym owner "laid off" all our coaches so they could apply for unemployment and closed the gym until at least April 1st. He offered to prorate the lost weeks of March to our April tuition, but I know most (if not all) team parents are planning on paying full tuition as he has to do what is best for the gym long term and its a small way we can help.

Our gym is offering make ups for missed classes for rec kids so unless the kids quit completely there should be no change to revenue stream. Team will just continue to pay normally, since it really isn't a pay for class deal, you kind of pay for the total training program. Many rec coaches are high school and college kids so hopefully it is just spending money for them, but I hope they help out the adult full time hourly coaches and office workers.

When our gym owner sent out the email announcing they were closing with the schools for the safety of everyone, I replied with a "keep charging my card as usual and not to bother with talks of credits" I hope others follow suit. Our gym owners ar wonderful and our coaches ar amazing. I can't even imagine if they couldn't survive this financial hit.

Unfortunately, most gyms depend on the rec program/families to pay the bills (not team), and those folks are less likely to keep paying without classes in session....

Slightly off topic but financial related -- will meet hosts offer refunds for fees paid for meets that will not take place now?

I have no intentions of asking for a refund; I'm just curious about what might happen in this regard.

It might also be a good idea, if you can, to reach out to your coaches.

We're gonna be hurting when the next round of bills arrives
I know many of the team parents have taken up collections for the coaches for grocery and gas gift cards, items for babies, etc. so the coaches who have been temporarily "laid off" can bridge the gap. I know the termination letters allow for coaches to receive "unemployment" but it could take a while to get started. I hope other gym parents who can help do the same. I know not everyone is able to help as they are facing uncertain financial times too, but those who can have been willing and quick to help.

Slightly off topic but financial related -- will meet hosts offer refunds for fees paid for meets that will not take place now?

I have no intentions of asking for a refund; I'm just curious about what might happen in this regard.

The one we were supposed to be at last weekend offered $20 off next year per gymnast as well as waiving the team fee for gyms that were registered this year. Way more generous than I expected considering they were all set up and ready to go when they canceled.

I told our owner this morning to keep charging me and not to worry! They are under so much stress right now and need our support. They give us, the gyms and coaches, so much throughout the years we can give back to them in this way!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back