Parents If you knew then what you know now....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This is so interesting to me.

Of note is that most of the people who said "Yes, we would do it again!" have children at the lower end of the hours/seriousness/level end of the spectrum. Most of the people who have said, "No!" have children at the higher end of the hours/seriousness/level end of the spectrum.

But..........

When someone posts on here about a 5 year old that shows promise and loves gymnastics and might be able to compete Xcel Silver next spring, you will see the majority of replies advising the mother to check out more serious gyms nearby and not to "waste" their time at a lower level program.

It's just interesting to me.

I vote yes, we'd do it again, but all my children have topped out about Level 6 or 7 and at fourteen hours a week or less. Even then, there were struggles with time management and body aches, but the good has outweighed the bad.

I would say absolutely 100 percent yes bc although gymnastics is a sore subject for dd right now (still very emotional about having to give it up) she had nothing but pure joy for the sport. I think one day she will look back on her gymnastics years as some of the best years of her life.

However I would have changed some things. I would have stressed and worried a lot less about levels, skills coming and going, scores, etc and would have spent every moment just enjoying seeing her do what she loved. At her state meet this past spring I sat there bummed the whole time bc she had fell on bars on what had otherwise been her best bar routine of the year. Had I known that would be the last time I would be able to watch her compete.....I sure would have reacted a lot differently.

So my advice would be as long as your kid loves it, just sit back and enjoy seeing them enjoy what they love, don’t stress, comfort them through the bad days and if at any point the sport isn’t fun anymore for them, then try to gently help them move on and find a new passion. But don’t sweat the small stuff along the way.
Thank you for this reminder as we move into meet season this weekend!! I need to just be happy to watch her and stress less. I haven't seen my DD do a full routine on any event since Regionals in April and I am beyond excited to see something yet so nervous for her. I'll try to remind myself to just enjoy watching her and stress less!

When someone posts on here about a 5 year old that shows promise and loves gymnastics and might be able to compete Xcel Silver next spring, you will see the majority of replies advising the mother to check out more serious gyms nearby and not to "waste" their time at a lower level program.

I think much of that comes from those of us who have kids in programs for a while realize its much easier to switch into an Xcel program at the upper levels but hard to go from Xcel to JO as you go up.

We switched gyms back when my kid was a 6 yr old Level 3 because the gym were were at wanted her in the gym more hours then I thought a 6 yr old should be. And was told well that's how JO and if you can't do the hours now maybe JO isn't for your daughter. Perhaps she should do Xcel.

But I knew my kid could do JO. So I found a gym that she could JO in with hours that worked for her and us.

So now she is a L8 gymnast. That never would of happened if had moved her to Xcel. And it never would of happen if we stayed JO at the other gym because the hours would of driven her out.

If mine tops out at L8 so be it. But she could easily move to Xcel where she would have more wiggle room on whats required and she could add skills at a slower pace and still "do" gymnastics.

As a parent of a 9 year old level 6, I would never have chosen this sport for her because of the opportunity cost, but she’s so lit up, I can’t say no yet. My greatest hope is that when /if it’s time to quit she realizes it sooner, rather than later, so she can explore some other gifts and talents. I anticipate a very frank conversation at about 13, when she’s knocking at the door of elite or levels 9/10, and it’s time to either go all the way or quit before the other opportunities have passed her by.

My daughter graduated from high school last spring, so we have completed our journey in the sport. The experience definitely evolves over time, but I can't imagine not participating in the sport. My daughter still loves gymnastics and it was her total passion for many years. However, the last 4 years (all at level 9) were fraught with issues related to growth spurts and injuries. She came very close to quitting her senior year -- it was emotionally and physically draining, but she finished it out. Looking back, I wish she had tried a couple other sports in high school. I see gymnasts quickly making a mark when they move to other sports (whether track, dive, cheer, or lacrosse), so I would definitely encourage parents to be open to trying other things as they get older. Even if it's just a week at a special sports camp to see if they really like it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back