WAG IGC requiring female campers to wear shorts or leggings

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

reluctant

Proud Parent
I thought this was interesting in light of another thread recently about having the options of wearing shorts with competition leotards.

"International Gymnastics Camp’s concern with the current issues facing USA Gymnastics drives us to take a pro-active approach to ensure gymnastics is a safe sport when it comes to abuse. International Gymnastics Camp is advocating that, across the entire nation, shorts or leggings be worn with leotards during both workouts and junior competitions in the women’s programs. In that regard, and to accelerate this trend for change, IGC is requiring our female campers to wear shorts or leggings during workouts at camp. Thank you for your cooperation."

It's on their website under packing list.

I was just going to post this! Honestly, I think that is silly and backward thinking. Allowing girls to wear shorts in practice or competition is one thing, but requiring it is quite another. It’s again implying that girls/women are sexually abused or assaulted because of their clothing.

An extra inch of fabric isn’t going to stop someone who wants to abuse girls/women. The problem is not the clothing. It is the sick, twisted bastards that prey on others.

I fear they are focusing on the wrong thing here.

Soooo lets make it the responsibility of our children to make sure they're properly covered and aren't abused by an extra 2 inches of fabric covering their legs? Sounds like a great idea. Our gym tried to make this change right before DD left, let me tell you it's a really fun thing to try to explain to a 10 year old. Ridiculous.

Allowing it based on the gymnasts comfort level is great. Requiring it after years of not allowing it, however, is crazy.

I was just going to post this! Honestly, I think that is silly and backward thinking. Allowing girls to wear shorts in practice or competition is one thing, but requiring it is quite another. It’s again implying that girls/women are sexually abused or assaulted because of their clothing.
Good thing my kid has no interest in their camp. Because she hates shorts and leggings and won’t wear them in the gym.

I agree that ALLOWING them to wear shorts / leggings is one thing but REQUIRING it is another.
However, I would LOVE to see more of the "modified" leg cuts on leotards (making the current modified cut the STANDARD... and offering a more coverage cut than that - because WE get the modified cut and it is still high cut on SOME of our girls because of their body shapes).

I also think that some of the feeling that it implies that the victims are to blame is off... I think it more goes along with the "not photographing girls in straddle positions" (there was a CB thread about the fact that when they came out with the photography recommendations, the same issue of the USAG Magazine had a cover photo that violated the photo policy), they are trying to limit the exposure.

Just my 2¢.

What about the pool at camp? Do they have to wear shorts and rashguards?
Lol, my gymmies went to summer camps one year (granted, it was 2 different church camps, a week at each with a week in between), and they each had a rule against bikinis and had a swimsuit "modesty rule" ... they preferred 1 piece suits, with a modest leg cut and no cleavage showing. They also encouraged rash guards or t-shirts and board shorts, but didnt require them. And at the one camp, the girls and the boys didnt even swim together.
However, due to the girls long torsos, 1 piece suits didnt work for them. They wore tankini tops... with boyshort bottoms... which we had to get approved in advance for each camp.

I would rather it be voluntary.

But anything that limits say “interpretive” photos I’m good with. Or slows someone down.

My daughters summer camps had similar rules, one piece bathing suits and the like.

I agree that ALLOWING them to wear shorts / leggings is one thing but REQUIRING it is another.
However, I would LOVE to see more of the "modified" leg cuts on leotards (making the current modified cut the STANDARD... and offering a more coverage cut than that - because WE get the modified cut and it is still high cut on SOME of our girls because of their body shapes).

I also think that some of the feeling that it implies that the victims are to blame is off... I think it more goes along with the "not photographing girls in straddle positions" (there was a CB thread about the fact that when they came out with the photography recommendations, the same issue of the USAG Magazine had a cover photo that violated the photo policy), they are trying to limit the exposure.

Just my 2¢.

I wasn't planning to send my kid to this camp, so there is no direct impact on my family, but if the camp wants to demonstrate its commitment to athlete safety, rather than requiring a wardrobe change for girls they could share what they have done (background checks, intensive training with all coaches to clearly outline unacceptable coaching practices, steps they take to investigate any allegations of inappropriate coaching, etc.). Changing the culture starts with the adults, not the children.

That's so horrible and victim blaming and it makes me so angry. DD is just entering the age of going to gymnastics summer camps and now I know IGC will never get a dime from us.

My daughter's summer camp (girl scouts) prefers swim suits with as much coverage as possible (either one piece or long tankinis) because the Texas sun is horrendous and they apply their own sunscreen. I would never send her to a camp that required a one piece to (supposedly) prevent her from being abused. Barf.

Igc camp is an absolutely amazing camp. I received an response to my email sent.

Hello John,

We thank you for your feedback.

We will be putting out a blog next week regarding the decision, and encourage an open discussion on the topic.

Thank you, and have a nice weekend.

Kind Regards,

Carlene Eckhart

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back