Coaches IGC

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

coach1234

Coach
Hi
I am thinking of going to IGC summer 2017 as a coach/ camp leader type role, I have looked on here but can only find threads of going as a gymnast rather than a coach or camp leader, has anyone ever done this or know someone that has and can give me some tips/ information about your time?
:)

Cannot help, but it is an awesome camp. My kids went a few years in a row and still talk about it almost 10 years later. Our HC also went to do a weeks coach training, the standards are very high.

Food is very good too.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by the standards being very high?

They were very specific about the way things were done, spotting done in a certain way, progressions too. Chucking skills not really a thing that was encouraged unlike other camps my kids attended.

They were very specific about the way things were done, spotting done in a certain way, progressions too. Chucking skills not really a thing that was encouraged unlike other camps my kids attended.

That's amazing to hear! I will be going for coaching experience so the more drills and progressions rather than chucking skills the better!

They have some kind of coaching certification program, not sure if that is what you were planning to apply for? You help out with coaching and other camp roles but also have coaching clinics, hands on work, classroom seminars, and are tested and observed on the material learned in order to "pass" the program. It is pretty intense as all of the work is crammed into 4 weeks, at least for the first year. You can do additional years of the program as well, not sure how long those last. Here is the info: http://www.internationalgymnastics.com/staff/program.php

Though I know they do offer evening training and hands on spotting sessions to coaches who are just there for a week or two as well- either as coaches traveling with a team or there as staff.

As far as Bog's comment about high standards, I can't speak for IGC as I've only been once as a gymnast (in 1998- yikes!), but I worked in a supervisory capacity at another camp and staff were held to much higher standards than they would have been at a day care or day camp type program. I think it's just the nature of camp and having a mix of fun and education- and at IGC, making sure parents get their $1000 worth! It's also only a week, so coaches need to be able to jump in with a group of kids right away, no time to adjust to different coaching styles or abilities- just need to take whatever is thrown at them and adapt. Coaches are a big part of the camp experience and if they aren't living up to expectations as far as knowing their stuff gymnastics wise but also providing the proper encouragement and fun for the kids, gymnasts won't want to come back and parents won't want to send them. And IGC has quite the reputation to uphold!

I worked at IGC one summer (about 5 years ago) and did the PCD (coaches training class). (There are 5 levels of PCD so if you went 5 years you would learn new things each time and focus on a different skill level.) The coaching classes were awesome. Fantastic guest speakers and presenters, very organized and planned. Camp was very focused on drills and spotting. Everything at IGC is spotted and there is no chucking of skills or spotting athletes for skills they aren't ready for. They have tons of pits and great facilities. You get evaluated in the gym and take written tests on material you've learned and I felt very confident with everything I learned. I knew how and why and when and what to do.

I found the camp environment difficult to transition to. You're expected to counsel in a cabin and then coach and then attend coaching class at night so it was very minimal time off (about 2 hours a day) and no electronics in camp so you only have access to talk to home or email during your few hours off. And you can only use electronics in one staff room so the room is crowded during that time. It was difficult for me not to have some alone time built into the day to regroup but many people were fine with it.

It was an awesome opportunity and I'm glad I went. If you want to do the coaching class, you have to commit to nearly the whole summer. I believe the classes lasted 8 or 9 weeks of the summer. If you go for one week, they will take you from group to group during the workout and give you little tidbits or teach you things you request but you don't attend the evening coaching classes.

Side note: many of the staff are international so it was a fun way to meet new people from other places.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back