WAG Illness before meets...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Tbrower

Proud Parent
Just curious. My DD got sick this past weekend with flu like symptoms. She has been fever free since monday and went back to school and practice yesterday but she is still coughing and her energy level is not back up to normal. She has a meet Saturday and she wants to compete. Practice yesterday was super rough with a bad fall off bars and a beam fall. Do I just follow her lead even though it may be a disappointing meet for her or encourage her to just stay home and get back to 100 percent this weekend?

I would follow her lead. She will likely feel much better by the weekend. A meet is less strenuous than practice as well. If she has any hint of fever, light-headedness or weakness though, it's time to step in and say no. Missing a meet won't be the end of the world.

If she’s feeling better by Saturday and wants to compete I would let her. But if she’s not showing any improvement by Friday afternoon or feeling weak, I would skip the meet and let her recuperate.

It also depends on the child too. If she just wants to go out there and have fun and get another meet under her belt and is ok with it not being her best meet, then go for it if she’s feeling better.

But, if she’s a perfectionist and would be super disappointed in herself if she doesn’t score well, then maybe skipping it would be a better idea if she’s not feeling 100%.
Hope she feels better soon, good luck!

Our coaches wouldnt necessarily let them compete if they didn’t feel they had enough practice prior to the meet. So if an event didn’t go well in practice they might scratch them. Or downgrade some things for optional kids.

Beyond that it’s up to the kid. Mine would want to compete.

Our coaches wouldnt necessarily let them compete if they didn’t feel they had enough practice prior to the meet. So if an event didn’t go well in practice they might scratch them. Or downgrade some things for optional kids.

Beyond that it’s up to the kid. Mine would want to compete.
[/QUOTE

That’s true. At our gym, the coaches require you to attend a minimum of 3 practices the week of a meet or they can scratch you. Or they can scratch you during warm up at the meet too if they don’t think you’re ready.

Depends on the illness and the gymnast. If my dd is really sick, it takes her a while to recover. For her, I would have her skip the meet.

A meet is less strenuous than practice as well. If she has any hint of fever, light-headedness or weakness though, it's time to step in and say no. Missing a meet won't be the end of the world.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back