ILP levels ages

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think at the end of the day it's going to be more important to have a high quality coach than whether you are in the IL or NL program. Some states have very limited IL opportunities, and as a few people have pointed out, the age limits are restrictive in IL. I think you will find in the next couple of years that there are some amazing girls who move over at Jnr or Snr Int from the NL program. The benefits of the NL program in levels 7 and up is that girls can compete optional routines, rather than compulsory skills. This benefits girls who are too old for the IL levels or who don't have all the skills for one level.

Gymnastics is such a small sport in Australia that girls who have the difficulty and execution will be chosen, regardless of what pathway they have taken. Up until now the traffic may all have come from the IL stream, but I don't think that will always be the case.

In most states to out a child into international stream means that the gym will need to give them up. Sure in states like mine they still maintain their gym identity and compete in their clubs colours but once they are handed onto high performance centres, they often don't have a great deal to do with their home gym anymore.

It means the gym must give up the fees they collect from that student, it means they won't have them going with their team to comps to help them win big. Not all clubs are going to be prepared to tell them about the international stream.

In most states to out a child into international stream means that the gym will need to give them up. Sure in states like mine they still maintain their gym identity and compete in their clubs colours but once they are handed onto high performance centres, they often don't have a great deal to do with their home gym anymore.

It means the gym must give up the fees they collect from that student, it means they won't have them going with their team to comps to help them win big. Not all clubs are going to be prepared to tell them about the international stream.

I believe it is up to the clubs discretion as to whether or not they pass on letters from ILP scouts. So some parents/kids would never know..

I believe it is up to the clubs discretion as to whether or not they pass on letters from ILP scouts. So some parents/kids would never know..

I think that if parents believe their child has what it takes and that The family can commit to the life of an elite gymnast then the parents needs to contact the high performance centre in their area for assessment.

Recently in WA gymnastics Wa posted on Facebook for parents to enter their child in the talent id day so that the clubs could not be the sole owner of these decisions.

I think that if parents believe their child has what it takes and that The family can commit to the life of an elite gymnast then the parents needs to contact the high performance centre in their area for assessment.

Recently in WA gymnastics Wa posted on Facebook for parents to enter their child in the talent id day so that the clubs could not be the sole owner of these decisions.

Yes, you're right! The Victorian Women's High Performance Centre in Melbourne also did that.
I dont think any parent can ever know if they can commit to that life until they are doing it, and even then it often seems parents then chose not to continue.
The other issue with International Stream Gymnastics is the cost! Most parents cannot afford the massive fees. There is between $8,000-12,000 a year in fees + comp fees + uniform and comp leotards + insurance + Pilates + massage/physio.. Not to mention the time and petrol money, particularly from those kids who do t live close to the gym.
I think this plays the biggest part in whether or not kids continue in international stream or even accept a position in the first place

The average gymnastics parent would not know such a place even exists. Our HPC won't take them without consent from the gym. I have had parents contact the HPC before not knowing the process and the HPC will contact me to see if I want the kid to trial. I do support the HPC and would not deny a kid the chance to try if that is what they want, but many gyms don't.

Yes, you're right! The Victorian Women's High Performance Centre in Melbourne also did that.
I dont think any parent can ever know if they can commit to that life until they are doing it, and even then it often seems parents then chose not to continue.
The other issue with International Stream Gymnastics is the cost! Most parents cannot afford the massive fees. There is between $8,000-12,000 a year in fees + comp fees + uniform and comp leotards + insurance + Pilates + massage/physio.. Not to mention the time and petrol money, particularly from those kids who do t live close to the gym.
I think this plays the biggest part in whether or not kids continue in international stream or even accept a position in the first place
The difference in cost between il and nl is a not a massive factor.
Many parents don't want their 5/6 year old training multiple hours or fund that but once the kids start training higher hours and competing (esp once travel competitions come into it) it is an expensive sport whichever stream (and similar figures) .
Cost and time factors to get to training are big ones for those considering a HPC .

The difference in cost between il and nl is a not a massive factor.
This might vary state to state though. Here we don't have HPCs and our IL gymnasts have comparable training fees to NL gymnasts. IL training is cheaper per hour than NL at some places, not sure about all.

Yes but even if they don't choose to continue with International, gym helps them transition into anything else. Like my daughter decided to give up a few years ago to get into dance from international, now She is the top of her class in dance, has all the tumbling needed for dance, and now starting to audition for musicals which they get paid for. If i wasn't for gym and all those hrs training in international she prob wouldn't be at the level she is in dance in such a short period of time.

For me the il route is because my daughter wants to represent Australia at an international level. I know it's a long shot but I figure that she deserves a chance to live her dreams if I can help. I owe the person I brought into the world an opportunity to fulfil that.

For me the il route is because my daughter wants to represent Australia at an international level.

Pretty much every gymnast in the world has the ambition to represent their country☺
Our IL Dd was bored in her previous stream because of little/no upskilling-she loves the open-endedness of IL with the constant upskilling.

Where this will take her lies in the future but at the moment we have a happy contented gymmy enjoying every training...sure there are some tougher days but overall she is loving it; coach is happy- therefore the long hours in the gym, expense,travel etc etc are worth it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back