I'm feeling about ready to quit

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I just don't know where I'm going in gymnastics. I love it but I'm not sure if the time put in to being on team is worth it...cheer me up and tell me your favorite thing about gymnastics.....doing your back tuck or staying at the same hotels as your teammates for meets or some inside joke that you and your teammates have...anything

I think you answered your own question... "I love it", every gymnast finds themselves in a slump or questioning their choice at least once. If I remember right as I watched these past Olympic Games Gabby Douglas said she almost quit, until her sister talked her into sticking with it. Good thing she did, look where it got her.
Do you look through the TV listings stopping when it says "gymnastics"?? Or do you find yourself perking up when your at a store of in public somewhere and someone says they are a gymnast (you feel that common bond)
Anything worth having is worth the sacrifice it takes to put into it. If competitive gymnastics were easy everyone would do it and excel at it.
I really hope you find what you are looking for weather it be gymnastics or something else, as long as you are happy :)

Watch Stick It or a Peaceful Warrior (though Spiderman tends to make me want do gymnastics as well). Perhaps that might work for you.

And remember the good days at gym when you felt like you were on the top of the world? When you first got a new skill? The moment in each skill when you're flying? Being with your teammates? If you say you would miss any one of those, it is likely not time to quit. Being on the team is very well worth it. I know perhaps this will sound horribly cliche, but all those hours, months, years spent in the gym does pay off. It doesn't come in a form of, say, a Ferrari or cheque. You get all these traits and values like perseverance, integrity, responsibility, etc that are instilled in you basically forever. Also coordination, strength, agility among others.

Don't make a decision about quitting or staying when you're feeling tired or dejected. I had quit for 2 years, but I was miserable and I missed gym too much so I got involved again. But then again, the choice is yours. :eek:

When I was 9 I got hurt at a meet. I had to take a month off and when I came back I lost a few skills and was scared of a lot of things. My coach decided to compete me at the meet the next day, when I got hurt again and scored horribly. I decided to quit, and when I was 12 I realized I missed it too much. When I came back again I lost almost everything I could do, but I didn't lose my love for gymnastics.
Moral of the story: think this through, sometimes you don't realize what your have till its gone. I regret quitting every day

When I was 9 I got hurt at a meet. I had to take a month off and when I came back I lost a few skills and was scared of a lot of things. My coach decided to compete me at the meet the next day, when I got hurt again and scored horribly. I decided to quit, and when I was 12 I realized I missed it too much. When I came back again I lost almost everything I could do, but I didn't lose my love for gymnastics.
Moral of the story: think this through, sometimes you don't realize what your have till its gone. I regret quitting every day

I did Similar but now I'm really competitive again!!

T the gymnast :), gymnastics isn't about how good you are, it's how much you love it. No matter how good you are, if you love it, you are better then the Senior Elites who compete in the Olympics that don't love gymnastics. I've already fallen in love with gymnastics, depite my bruises and calluses, and i'm thirteen and a level 1. I know that love will get me someplace, just maybe not the Olympics, which is my dream. If you say to yourself: Will I miss gymnastics? and the answer is yes, then there you go. When you're down in the dumps about gymnastics because you can't get a skill (or something), and compare how good you are to how much you love it. If it is equal or the love is higher, then just remember: gymnastics takes two things: love, and the strength to go on.

Some ways to tell if you really love gymnastics are:
Do you feel in top of the world when you get a skill? Like you just wanna dance and tell the whole world?
Do feel a rush of adrenaline when you are do a awesome tumbling pass?
Do you totally agree with the problems on gymnastproblems.com?

If you just said yes to two out of the three, I say that you should Keep Calm and Do Gymnastics... :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back