WAG I'm freaking out and I need someone's help.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Okay so I need to train more, but my dad only let's me go 3 days a week. The only time I can go everyday when I'm supposed to is if i stay at a friends house for at least 3 days. The gym is 50 minutes away, and I know that's hard. But I carpool with 2 other people so he doesn't even have to drive all the way! My dad yells at me all the time for doing gymnastics and it's not fair because i can't quit..it would kill me inside. I cry just thinking about it. What do I do?...he makes me feel so guilty..

I'm sorry to hear your plight but your situation just seems so unworkable to me on so many levels....you live 50 minutes away from the gym and are in a "carpool" that your parent doesn't participate in, and you have no parental support in this venture from your father ( you don't mention if your mother helps at all) ....does your father pay your gym tuition, does he contribute gas money for your commute, will he pay meets fees and coaches fees and even take you to meets? I'm kind of puzzled as to how you ended up doing this sport if your parent is so dead set against it...is there a closer alternative (like a local YMCA or a high school program) that wouldn't send your father off the rails? I really don't see how you can move forward with zero support at home, unfortunately...

I go to a YMCA that's really competitive that is 35 miles away. Its worth it though. And I go one day for tumbling for an hour and one and a half hours the next day for Pre-Team which in a month will go to team and get a lot more time in the gym. I wouldn't be able to do it without my parents wanting me to do it too. Talk to your parents and your coach.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using ChalkBucket mobile app

That must be awful having a dad who yells at you for doing your passion :(... hopefully he'll change that :eek:

The only time I can go everyday when I'm supposed to is if i stay at a friends house for at least 3 days.

I don't think most parents would allow this. Yes, they do it at the elite level but I've never heard of it happening at anything but that level.

A stop-gap solution may be to do some skills and conditioning practice on your off days. Working out releases endorphins which make you feel good and may help you deal with the "cutting" or what not.

My dad isn't supportive of me doing gymnastics either:( he thinks im too old and he wont let me do team:( currently I only get to go to gym once a week for an hour and a half

Ok this sounds like an unbearable situation however we only have one side of this. I know my daughter says I "yell" at her too and I really don't. sometimes there are a lot of other things going on in a parents life and the tone used may sound like yelling. Maybe the lack of support isn't as bad as you perceive it. After all someone is paying for everything and making sure you get there at a least 3 days a week even if its allowing you to do carpooling after all he doesn't have to allow that either. It may not be what you want but maybe its all he can do right now. Is there a mom in the picture? You said this is the only thing keeping you from doing harm to yourself - that honestly concerns me as a parent. It sounds like some family counseling might be helpful as I get the feeling when you "talk" to your dad there is more not listening than listening going on. if your calm and open to really listen to what dad says and he is calm and open to listen to you then you might have some hope here but again I get the feeling there is a lot of yelling, getting defensive, and some digging in of the heels here. You can work out at home with conditioning as much as you like so it will strengthen you. 3 days a week at the gym is a good amount of time to work on things. How many hours does that cover? In the end its just gymnastics and seriously the world wont' end if you have to quit There are so many opportunities out there today for young girls - don't get stubborn if you have to quit try other activities you may just surprise yourself and find something you like even more.

GymBee, I know that you have good intentions, and I know this will make me sound extremely teenagerly, but you don't understand. If she does quit, that may stop her healing process from the self-harming, so in theory, that could be the end of the world for her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back