Parents I'm new and complaining already...I know, I know!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall how long this situation has been going on. For me, many issues resolve themselves if I take a "wait and see" approach. I usually give those kind of coaching issues a month or so, so that I really understand what I am seeing and that the coach has time to get to know the girls and her role. And you are right, many 'someones' have probably already put the HC on notice that there is a potential problem. I feel like time and multiple examples of the issues makes a stronger case, and it makes you come across as a reasonable person. Since you are uncomfortable with confrontation, that might work for you, also.

Good luck!

So, now does my daughter have to go through a whole season of no instruction, on the bars, just hoping she figures these skills out on her own?? Should I get a discount on tuition since she isn't getting bars instruction? lol!

I'm kidding but I am frustrated.

I had to add one more thing....you might have been kidding when you said that, but the same thing happened to me. My dd was not being coached at all on one particular event. About half-way through the season, I went to the owner and told him that she needed to either be coached, or my tuition check would only amount to 3/4 of the normal fee. Well, she never did get coached the whole season, and we ended up leaving the day after the season ended, because of one coach on one event that would have been an easy fix if the owner would have worked with us. I never did cut the amount on the check, but looking back I SOOOO wish I would have!

Hi! Welcome!

Just wanted to throw something else out there. Our gym only has a pre-team and then L4. It wasn't until I came here and discovered there were actually level 2 and level 3 competitions which is nice. It sounds like there is a nice progression of skills though these earlier levels. Our pre-team feeds into our team but the only skills my dd had before going onto L4 was pull-over, some beam work, back walk over and the vault was very good. It wasn't until she got to L4 that she learned all those skills like hip & mill circles, beam dismount, handstand foreward roll and ROBHS. She was only 6 and after only about 5 months got thrown into competiton. Our team was big, alot of re-peaters, older girls, talents ones. Our coach did not spend as much time with the younger girls on form, skills, and the routines until this year. Last year was to get them used to the meets and the extra hours, conditioning, and just expectations on being a gymnast. Sometimes I thought the coaching could have been better, but at that young age it is hard (and I can see it now) for some of the girls to really concentrate on corrections and posture. I say *some* because I know from being on here and some of the competitions we went too, there are exceptions to the rule and some VERY talented young girls.

This year my DD is a 2nd year L4 and I can SEE the difference a year makes! I suppose had we been offered L2, L3 before going right to 4 we probably would have had these skills already, but this is just how our gym is. I don't mind my DD doing the extra year because I know she is working on those basics.

I guess what I am trying to say is that maybe skipping wasn't a problem, they know your DD can do it. And, sometimes when you don't see results right away you think it's the coaching or something isn't being done right. I agree, younger coaches don't always work well w/younger girls. My DD's coach is also very young and sometimes I think she's not as patient as she could be with them, but the girls love her and this year now that the team isn't so big she is really spending lots of time on those "little things" that will result in better scores and we can already see the difference.

I am not sure how big your team is, or what the coaching ratio is, but if it is big (like over 12 girls or more) maybe that is why you feel like your DD is being ignored...I felt the SAME way last year and out team had about 18. If the coach seems like she is not paying attention to any of the girls then yes, I would probably say something to the coach in a nice way. Maybe tell her what some of your DD's weaknesses were after being moved up so quickly especially bars and vault. There are alot of bar skills involved for L4, and sometimes it takes awhile to get them...maybe ask her what the game plan is for your DD. Do they want her to just learn quickly to start competing L4 and hope to fix things during the season? Do they plan on having her do a second L4 season? I know your frustrated, gymnastics is expensive and you want to make sure your child is getting the same instruction as everyone else and done in a safe gym but you have to say something. Sometimes with so many girls, stations, ect...going on they don't know there is a problem until someone says something and then is can be addressed and hopefully corrected.

Good Luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back