Im new and have lots to say........ :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Now I see what JBS means about staying ON TOPIC:eek:... geez, the mom just wanted to introduce herself in the INTRODUCTION forum... I think its great that exp gym parents share their wisdom as well (although according to them we should be leary of what they say & pretty much avoid them at all costs, afterall they are GYM PARENTS)... I was determined to stay on topic here, but I am kinda appalled that people could not just say a simple hello, welcome type message & then post their opinions in another forum..., heck you could start 3 or 4 blogs from this intro alone.... No need to force the wisdom on an unsuspecting new gym mom, that just wants to learn things like TA DA & say hello & there was certainly no need for even more GYM PARENTS to encourage it. Just my 2 cents!

I agree...I just a simple Hi and Welcome would be fine! But if that is not possible...No reply would be fine also! I guess just like with any other sport..THEY are showing me the type people THEY are warning me "Watch out for"!!

:eek:

Thanks Lynn. I'm just trying to add a dose of reality about the issues and misconceptions that permeate this sport, especially at the pre-team and compulsory levels. Its not parents like myself who have been through the wars that need this advice (though we can always learn something new), but those just getting involved like our new friend Ktsmom. I guess some are "appalled" by this discussion (Wow!) and prefer we limit our comments to Hi, how are you, and there is nothing wrong with a warm welcome, but I don't believe that is why people come to this or any other board. I presume people come to this board to discuss substantive issues on this sport and learn what they can by sharing experiences. My comments were made in that spirit and reflect my own experiences and thoughts on issues that we encountered starting in our own mommy-daughter classes so many years ago up through where my dd is today (Maybe I did go a bit overboard on the Olympic issue, but my point was really about our experience of seeing many parents placing unrealistic expectations on their kids, even at 3 and 4 years old, and the Olympic example was the most prevelant when my daughter was young!). I really want anyone who reads my posts to understand what a great sport gymnastics is and that it can have a tremendous positive impact on your dds' lives, whether they do the sport for a year or through high school and into college, but also to make folks aware that there is some "noise" that surrounds the sport that needs to be filtered out. As for your dd Lynn, emphasize to her that this sport is like a marathon and not a sprint. It's not always the most talented kids that make it to the end and get the scholarships, but the most persistent and dedicated. Good luck.

First of all.....I am not Completely nieve to the "Sports World" I know there are going to be "issues" just like with anything in life!! But I also know (and I feel sure will learn) how to deal with them if/when I get there!!:)

AZGymParent
I appreciate everything you have posted...but im sure that I have many years to go before I reach the type of "reality" as you have been describing in your replies to my "Intro"! I didnt mention anything about the "Olympics" anywhere in my "Intro"! But like I said before, I didnt want people to think that I have "Olympic Dreams" in my head for my "Newbie" 2 year old! Eventhough, like all parents, hope their children go far in life, I hope mine does in what ever she choses! Like I wrote in my "intro" We BOTH are starting out in the Sport and will see where it takes us!! I joined this board and talk/chat with other Mom's in the same sport (among other POSITIVE things)!! If I have any issues and misconceptions about Gymnastics I will in post any questions in the proper Forum!!

I really didnt mean for this thread to get "Off Topic".....

Good Luck to you all!!
:)

Welcome to The Chalk Bucket. Happy to have you here, tell your friends.

Reality doesn't exist when you have a 2 year old (I have one). Just remember....dreams can't come true if you don't have any.

I also apologize for offending anyone. The conversation just, in my opinion, developed naturally into a more in depth analysis of what was ahead for all of us relatively "newbie" parents. I sincerely appreicate AZGymParent's insights into what's to come.

Back to KtsMom: Congrats on your daughter enjoying her classes so much!

Good luck and don't worry about where you are going with your DD. Just enjoy the moment. Gymnastics will be fun for both of you!

Last edited:
I also apologize for offending anyone. The conversation just, in my opinion, developed naturally into a more in depth analysis of what was ahead for all of us relatively "newbie" parents. I sincerely appreicate AZGymParent's insights into what's to come.

Back to KtsMom: Congrats on your daughter enjoying her classes so much!

Thanks a Bunch for the Congrats, she is enjoying it and so am I!!

:D

Good luck and don't worry about where you are going with your DD. Just enjoy the moment. Gymnastics will be fun for both of you!

Im not worrying about the future at all....We are having fun and enjoying every minute of it!!

Good Luck to You too!

:D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back