I'm new...and want to say HI!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Granny Smith

Proud Parent
Hi everyone! I am somewhat new here. I have posted here and there, but never fully introduced myself. I have a daughter who is 10 and will be competing Level 7 this yr. We live in NJ. I am a very proud parent, as is my husband.

She just got her floor music and routine this past Monday. She loves it and she can't wait to compete it. At our gym, we (parents & gymnasts) do not get to pick the music or the choreography. I am fine with this because our coaches really know the gymnast and the routines fit well. It is a very dancy routine, which really works her strengths. I hope one day to get it online so everyone can see, but I am not sure how to do that and am trying to learn about you tube. She will be in her first competition in a little over 2 weeks.

She does have her giant for bars. She has her back handspring and back walkover - back handspring on beam. She also has a front handspring on beam which I believe will be in her routine. I think for her dismount she will be doing a round-off back tuck. I think for this first meet though that she is allowed to do a cartwheel back tuck. On floor her passes will be front handspring - front layout, back handspring - layout and I believe that they want them to do back handspring - half or full. She can do the half on floor and full on tumble track, so who knows what will be in the routine, I guess I will find out in 2 weeks.

For vault, as with everyone, she does the front handspring. Their level is working yurchenko timers though. In order to compete 8, you need to have the yurchenko at our gym. The coaches say it takes a yr to learn, so her group started working it this past spring.

I am very excited about the upcoming season which in NJ Level 7 runs in the Fall with States in January. I am glad that I found this site and have meet others who have the same love this sport.

Regards,
G Smith

Hi there Granny Smith. I am sure you will like this place. I think the most frequent posters are the parents of gym dd here and I think we can make a real nice chat place of it here.

My dd is about as old as yours. She turns 10 in October. But her gymnastics isn't as good as yours. The smaller clubs here don't do as hard things as you all do in the States. But she is quite happy with what she is doing and just loves it. She would do it every day if she could, but she can't. She is going on camp though, where she can some of basics up and maybe learn something new.

Youtube isn't too difficult. If you have a digital camera, that makes little films and you have them uploaded to your camera, all you have to do is go to youtube and become a member and load them up.

Well feel free to email me, if you want, you can through the website. OR just PM me.

Hi there Granny Smith. I am sure you will like this place. I think the most frequent posters are the parents of gym dd here and I think we can make a real nice chat place of it here.

My dd is about as old as yours. She turns 10 in October. But her gymnastics isn't as good as yours. The smaller clubs here don't do as hard things as you all do in the States. But she is quite happy with what she is doing and just loves it. She would do it every day if she could, but she can't. She is going on camp though, where she can some of basics up and maybe learn something new.

Youtube isn't too difficult. If you have a digital camera, that makes little films and you have them uploaded to your camera, all you have to do is go to youtube and become a member and load them up.

Well feel free to email me, if you want, you can through the website. OR just PM me.

Thanks for the welcome!

My dd will turn 11 on Sept, so she will compete as an 11 yr old. Camp is so much fun for the girls - I hope your dd has a great time!

As for our video camera, I know I use an mini-dv tape and I know that my dh has put stuff on dvd. I actually have her routine from the day she learned it on dvd, but have to log onto you tube and see if I can upload it that way. Her routine is just the dance with out the tumbling passes, but it is amazing how she learned it in about 3 hours. She really impressed me. I do plan to get the whole thing taped when she competes on 8/5.

If I am successful with uploading I will definitely put it up for everyone to see. I have been so busy, my ds is in soccer camp all week in the evenings that I have to be at, since he is only 6 and this weekend I am heading to the shore. I don't know where my time goes.

Busy, busy, busy......:eek:

G Smith

Hi,
Welcome! I am also in NJ. I have 2 dd's in gymnastics. neither on team right now. Where abouts are you? We are near AC. Our gym is fairly new and only has level 4 and training level 5's right now. My oldest is 9 and is working to make the level 4 team. ( if you read any of my posts you'll see she's had a rough time of it, and alot of switching gyms trying to find a good fit.) That's great about your dd being a level 7 the optionals seem like the girls really get to break out of their shells and define themselves. I would love to see her routine when you figure out how to upload. Good luck!:D

Welcome Granny! I have a daughter that just turned 11 and she will hopefully be competing L8. Our optional season doesn't start til Jan. Right now, she's sweating out the BHS series on beam(as are the others) and trying to get the feel of doing the yurchenko on the vault table instead of the porta table or mats. We don't have a L7 team, so its either L6 or L8 in our gym.

Right now, she's in love with bars! Really pushing to get her flyaway out of giants. Will your dd be starting middle school this fall? I think the whole middle school plus optional practice could be a stresser for a few weeks(kid is one of those perfectionist types!), but hopefully we can work through that.

Hi,
Welcome! I am also in NJ. I have 2 dd's in gymnastics. neither on team right now. Where abouts are you? We are near AC. Our gym is fairly new and only has level 4 and training level 5's right now. My oldest is 9 and is working to make the level 4 team. ( if you read any of my posts you'll see she's had a rough time of it, and alot of switching gyms trying to find a good fit.) That's great about your dd being a level 7 the optionals seem like the girls really get to break out of their shells and define themselves. I would love to see her routine when you figure out how to upload. Good luck!:D

Hello - we are in South Jersey too, but I am not by the shore we are inland near Philladelphia. Level 4s season starts soon so hopefully your dd will get what she needs to compete. I know with my dd she liked doing gymnastics, but once she competed, she fell in love with the sport and definitely turned it up a notch.

Good luck!

Welcome Granny! I have a daughter that just turned 11 and she will hopefully be competing L8. Our optional season doesn't start til Jan. Right now, she's sweating out the BHS series on beam(as are the others) and trying to get the feel of doing the yurchenko on the vault table instead of the porta table or mats. We don't have a L7 team, so its either L6 or L8 in our gym.

Right now, she's in love with bars! Really pushing to get her flyaway out of giants. Will your dd be starting middle school this fall? I think the whole middle school plus optional practice could be a stresser for a few weeks(kid is one of those perfectionist types!), but hopefully we can work through that.

Yes, she is going into 6th grade, but she goes to Catholic school so it is technically middle school but the school she goes to is K-8. I think that this is better since it is quite different than if she was in a true 6-8 middle school. The school she goes to doesn't have a lot of after school extra curricular activities so she isn't really missing out on anything. I know that the time will come when she might struggle with everything, but I am sensing that won't happen until 9th grade when she goes to HS. I do tell her all the time that she may miss out on things here and there, but she will get to do things that those other kids only dream about like travelling the country to compete.

I am concerned about the practice hours and school though. I will just have to wait to see how it goes this yr. She will be in the gym 20hrs a week and I am assuming that the school work will get harder. As I said before - we will take it day by day...

Hi Granny Smith,
Welcome! I am also a Jersey girl, LOL! We are in Central NJ and my 6 yr old daughter just started level 4 in February. She loves it too and can't wait to compete. Good luck to your daughter this year, it sounds like it will be an exciting year for all of you.

Sharon

Hi Granny Smith,
Welcome! I am also a Jersey girl, LOL! We are in Central NJ and my 6 yr old daughter just started level 4 in February. She loves it too and can't wait to compete. Good luck to your daughter this year, it sounds like it will be an exciting year for all of you.

Sharon

Thanks for the welcome - all of these NJ people, maybe we will cross paths during the meet season. I am pretty familiar with the Central Jersey area. My ILs live in Lawrenceville and both dh and I are graduates of Rider.

Good luck to your dd - she must be dying of excitement since meet season is almost here! Bes of luck to you too.

Granny,

I am very familiar with Rider...I went there too! I was an older student though, had worked full-time and did community college first and then went to Rider for the Early Childhood Ed program. I was in Gee hall in 1990-1992. Well, the semester before I was to student teach I had financial problems, moved home, ended up getting married and thought I would be able to finish up. Never did, was PG before my first Anniversary. My youngest (my gymnast) starts first grade in Sept (yeah!) and finally all my chickies are in school full-time and maybe I can finally think about going back for that degree!

We go to AGA and they do host alot of meets! I plan on taking my daughter to some this year so she can see for herself what she is getting into, LOL! She's been in the gym sice age 2 and never really saw a competition except for a few minutes of a JOGA meet last year. Let me know if you are ever in the area for one and we can come watch your daughter!

Wow, so many NJ mommies. Of course I am not from NJ, but I have been in NJ.:D I had a friend from my missionairy time living there, still does live in NJ now, and I came to visit her with my dd 7½ years ago. Of course I don't know if it was south, middle or whatever. It was in Bergenfield I think, but she now lives in Wyckoff.

We go to AGA and they do host alot of meets! I plan on taking my daughter to some this year so she can see for herself what she is getting into, LOL! She's been in the gym sice age 2 and never really saw a competition except for a few minutes of a JOGA meet last year. Let me know if you are ever in the area for one and we can come watch your daughter!

I will definitely let you know if we make it up to AGA or the general area. There is a good chance we will be at the Pumpkin Cup at Rutgers in October. My dd goes to Will-Moor by the way.

I've seen AGA and Will Moore compete. last year at ACCC. My dd's old gym was Dynamo and they competed also so we went to watch (she was a level 3 last year). Both gyms looked really professional. We only stayed for level 4 comp though. My dd was a little under the weather. We are now at a small gym called Bright Stars, but we aren't competing. Good luck to both.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back