I'm stepping back as well

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Geoffrey Taucer

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Gymnast
Just like bogwoppit, I've been feeling like it's time for me to step back from my role as a staff member here on CB. I haven't really been all that active lately, so this isn't actually much of a change. I might still pop in from time to time, but that will probably be pretty sporadic, and my intention is that when I participate, it will be as an ordinary forum member rather than staff.

It's been a pleasure being involved in this community and watching it grow over the years, and I hope it continues to be as great a resource for other community members as it has been for me!

If anybody wants to keep in touch with me, I should be fairly easy to find on facebook either by my real name or by my CB handle. (fair warning: I'm a cranky liberal who loves to argue)

Last edited:
I have learned so much from you as well, I don't think I would have been the coach I am today if it werent for your advice. Good luck with whatever life will bring to you!
Glad I could help!

To be honest, these days I'm eyeballing an exit from coaching, or at least from doing it full-time. The current state of the gymnastics world has left a bad taste in my mouth, but it is encouraging seeing the passion and positivity of the next generation of coaches preparing to take the reigns.

I wish you (both you specifically and the new guard in general) the best of luck!

Your passion for the sport will be missed. Some of the best coaches I know only do it “part time”, so hope you will continue to be involved in some way even if you decide to move on from coaching full time. The kids need as many positive voices to stay involved as we can get.

Your cranky liberal comment made me reminisce about the times we talked politics on CB during election times...seems like so long ago!

It's not just recent events with USAG that are motivating me to try to move on. I've been burning out for awhile. For the amount of blood, sweat, and tears I've poured in to coaching, I don't get paid much, and that isn't likely to change no matter what gym I'm working at. Barely scraping by while doing something I'm passionate about is all well and good when it's just me, but I have a disabled fiance and right now the only place we can afford to live is her parents' attic. My body isn't getting any younger, and the spotting injuries are taking longer and longer to heal. I have no idea what it would be like to have evenings and weekends open, but that seems to be the time when most of my non-gym friends get together and enjoy themselves; it would be nice to be able to join them.

I still believe in the sport itself. I believe in its potential to change lives for the better, and I delight in the beauty of a well-executed gymnastics skill. I wouldn't trade the last 15 years for anything, but I think 15 years is enough and I'm ready to be done. The gym I'm at is fine for now, and I'm not in any huge rush to leave, and in the meantime I'm learning computer programming in hopes that it will eventually provide me another source of income, so I'll have a viable exit route.

Last edited:
I am so sorry to see the changing of the guard. You have been so helpful over the years. I tend to be more of a lurker than a poster, but I have gained so much from you sharing your knowledge of the sport. Best of luck to you.

It's not just recent events with USAG that are motivating me to try to move on. I've been burning out for awhile. For the amount of blood, sweat, and tears I've poured in to coaching, I don't get paid much, and that isn't likely to change no matter what gym I'm working at. Barely scraping by while doing something I'm passionate about is all well and good when it's just me, but I have a disabled fiance and right now the only place we can afford to live is her parents' attic. My body isn't getting any younger, and the spotting injuries are taking longer and longer to heal. I have no idea what it would be like to have evenings and weekends open, but that seems to be the time when most of my non-gym friends get together and enjoy themselves; it would be nice to be able to join them.

I still believe in the sport itself. I believe in its potential to change lives for the better, and I delight in the beauty of a well-executed gymnastics skill. I wouldn't trade the last 15 years for anything, but I think 15 years is enough and I'm ready to be done. The gym I'm at is fine for now, and I'm not in any huge rush to leave, and in the meantime I'm learning computer programming in hopes that it will eventually provide me another source of income, so I'll have a viable exit route.
I encourage you to look into transitioning to judging if you do end up leaving coaching. It is a great way to stay connected to the sport and good way to bring in extra money on the weekends if you have 9 to 5. The judges I know that aren't coaches and gym owners(or retired coaches) are teachers, lawyers, engineers, accountants, nurses, computer programmers. You still get to delight in the beauty of gymnastics up close, but it's much easier on the body! Worst thing you get is a back ache from sitting too long!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back