Parents improved grades in school with gym change?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SHELOVESGYM

Proud Parent
I'm curious if anyone else has seen this. DD (10) was always the last in her JO group to pick up skills -every season was stressful (to me and I think to her) as a result of this. She never had her skills in time, never had skills polished in time, and there was always talk of possibly moving her back a group (which she did not want b/c she loved here teammates). At the end of last school year she switched gyms for a variety of reasons, and is currently in an x cel program. Her hours in the gym did not change too substantially (small reduction). For the first time in her gymnastics "career" she is going into the season with a ton of confidence, and working at her own (albeit relatively slow!) pace in gym. She also has made friends and is enjoying practice at her new gym. We recently received her first report card of the year and while she was always a pretty good student she is currently a great student -improved from Bs to A+s for the most part. We are of course thrilled. I am thinking that this has to do with her feeling less overwhelmed with gym and feeling better/more confident in general, though for all I know it could be a coincidence and not gym related at all. I'm curious if anyone else has had a similar experience, and also wanted to post about this in case anyone else is in a similar situation and considering the pros ad cons of this sort of gym move (though of course no two kids/situations are the same).

I have a friend who saw a huge improvement in a school subject her DD had been struggling with. The turnaround happened less than a week after they switched gyms. In her case she moved from one intense gym to another, but the difference in coaching style was enough to lift the stress off her. It was incredible.

We are contemplating the exact same thing. Dd is currently JO at a gym a little further from our house. We are thinking of moving in spring to a closer gym and will decide then whether to do JO again or switch to USAIGC for the easier pacing. But there is no question that I think the stress of gymnastics is having a big impact on her school and her sense of self. It's great to hear the positives!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back