WAG Improving level 9 vault

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My sister is competing level 9 and has all level 10 skills but she is very weak on vault. She has had 2 meets this season already, got 9.05 (she felt she had done her best on that one) and 8.4 on the other (didnt land that vault). Its not just about the scores; her coach says her vault is the only thing holding her back - she could have competed level 10 this year on all other events. She does a Yurchenko piked but doesnt have enough explosive power and usually has trouble landing it (over-rotates it). She has starting training a Yurchenko layout and finds it easier but not competition ready with it yet. Anyone have any simple suggestions she can work on to improve her level 9 vault?

if she has trouble on the pike she might want to do a tuck because I know my level eight friend does a tuck and gets a +.5 (or something like that) added to the score, so I'm not sure if that would lower the score though. if it does, just practice normal tusks, and compete the same or a pike.

hope this helped!

Hard to tell what part of the skill she needs improving without seeing it. Also, what do her coaches want her to do to move up? Do they want her to be able to do a vault that has a 10SV or are they willing to let her compete Level 10 for less. Getting the 10SV may take time from where she is right now. So hopefully they’ll let her compete for less. A yurchenko tuck is 9.4sv, pike 9.5 and layout is 9.7

If she has a 10 SV on floor, she’ll get vault soon enough. If she has 10SV on all the other events, I am sure her coach knows what to do to improve her vault. Sorry can’t be more help.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back