Parents Improving scale on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

NGL780309

My DD's scale on beam looks quite bad. Her coach told me to have her practice it at home with no further direction as to what the problem is.

I don't think it's a flexibility issue. She's actually really flexible. When she does it you can push her leg up to almost a full split. She can grab her leg and hold it behind her, but without her hands she can't hold her leg up that high. So what's something simple she can do at home to work on it? Is it a strength issue in her leg? And which leg?

a) leg lifts, watch the turnout though, you will want her to try not to turn out her back leg too much. these can be made a fun game though. trying to kick a ball or similar.

b) leg holds (backwards for scales but all directions for general active flexibility for her legs) - kind of ballet like. for these make sure she's standing upright and keeping the supporting leg straight.

I ended up just having her practice in front of a mirror. Once she could see her leg was able to raise it much higher. I think she just thought she was raising it up high. It looks much better.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back