Parents In between levels- where to place?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Lilou

Proud Parent
Hey all- so my daughter appears to be in between level 2 and 3, according to the coaches who move kids for summer training (at least back in May when decisions were made). We were told she needs to get stronger and more flexible to do L3. She can do her round off back handpsring and the entire bar routine for L3 but she's being held in L2 again to repeat. The L2 is really a backward pace for her though with new girls who moved up to L2 that can't even do pullovers or hold handstands. My daughter seems to be caught in a weird place (between levels) and I'm not sure what to do. We love our gym overall so I don't want to move, but I don't feel like the coaches have faith in my daughter or something. And now, my DD dislikes going to class because it's "super boring". I thought maybe they'd perfect her form or whatnot to be better suited for L3, but they're not even doing that with her from what I have seen... just more of the same. What would you do in my shoes? If you have kids in between levels, where do you put them?

How old is your DD?

Are you at a super-competitive and selective gym with many girls trying to make L3 (and therefore some must be cut/held back)? Or a more typical/average gym?

Are there still L3 skills on floor or vault that she is not executing well? Is her ROBHS consistent and with very good form (not froggy or out of rhythm)? How are her leaps and jumps?

Generally, I wouldn't agree with keeping a girl back from L3 who has the skills, but sometimes 'having' the skills, if they are still quite sloppy, means she will not have a good season. So I can't say why exactly your coaches think she is not up to the standard in your gym.

All that said, I have been in this situation twice - once with each of my gymnasts. One stayed back, had a fantastic season score-wise, but ultimately it held her progress back and I regret the decision (it wasn't mine to make, but I still disagree with it years later). The other bumped up to the next level, had a so-so season score-wise, but ultimately was a huge help toward longer term progress, and so it was absolutely the right decision. But every child, gym, and set of skills/strengths is unique, so hard to say where your DD would benefit most. If she is not enjoying gym, though, that's not a good sign, so getting her evaluated elsewhere might be a great way to check your own instincts here and have some peace of mind about the decision. Tough spot!

Are there Level 3 skills that she doesn't have? When does your compulsory season start and how old is your dd? I would think if form is the issue they could work on that before the season since she has her skills. If your dd is 8 or older, I would definitely want her competing Level 3 and would look elsewhere if your gym won't let her.

She is turning 7 in two weeks. The gym is pretty average I think... they could move her up if they wanted I believe. Our season starts in September.

She has just gotten her ROBHS and I haven't watched enough to know if it's consistent with good form every time. There are no froggy legs though. Her best events are vault and beam (those are the events she's placed in at last year's meets with her highest scores) so while I haven't seen her do the L3 ones, I think she'd learn them pretty quickly. It seems the L3 beam routine is a large step up from L2 though but I have no idea how she's do with it since she hasn't had the opportunity to try. She can do the L3 beam dismount and can hold a handstand on the beam since I've seen her play around doing those. It really is a tough spot to be in. I do see where she isn't as flexible or have the same strength as the other girls (they are all about a year older than her), but I also would prefer she do two years at L3 than two years at L2 since she's super bored right now and doesn't even want to go to the gym. She wants to do gymnastics but not with this L2 group. And since the coach told her she needed to be stronger, she's been practicing at home a lot because she's determined to get to L3 this summer, but I fear that's not what's going to happen at all for her.

First and foremost you need to trust your coaches or your daughter won't. You need to believe in how they are handling or your daughter won't. Really kids are incredibly intuitive when it comes to what us parents think.

So if you don't trust the process or the coaches its time to move.

I would also have a conversation with the coaches, express your preference and listen to their whys................ Then you either trust them or you don't.

Yeah, I think that's part of it... I've only receive a general "she needs more strength and flexibility" but I don't have concrete feedback on the why besides that they're keeping her back so it's hard to trust them. We've had 4 coaches in a year at this level too so it's tough to know who to trust and the process. I think talking with them might help with whether I trust their decisions or not.

First and foremost you need to trust your coaches or your daughter won't. You need to believe in how they are handling or your daughter won't. Really kids are incredibly intuitive when it comes to what us parents think.

So if you don't trust the process or the coaches its time to move.

I would also have a conversation with the coaches, express your preference and listen to their whys................ Then you either trust them or you don't.

When is your season?
Ours is in the fall. At this point of the year, the compulsory girls have to have 100% of their skills, so your DD would be a L2.

And that could be fine to stay a L2 again but unfortunately maybe not at this gym then where half of the L2 can't even do pullovers and my daughter is sliding behind now. That's the point of my post... what do you do with a kid who's in between levels but clearly frustrated she is in with girls who are so far behind her. I guess it might mean finding a more advanced L2 team elsewhere unfortunately.

When is your season?
Ours is in the fall. At this point of the year, the compulsory girls have to have 100% of their skills, so your DD would be a L2.

But your DD is not ready for L3. All gymnasts have events that they're stronger on and events they're weaker on!
I've seen level 10 beam routines at a level 8 meet. It doesn't mean that kid should be a level 10. She just has uneven skills.
Honestly, it shouldn't matter what the other kids are doing or not. Many groups are mixed levels - with large skill variations. Coaches should be differentiating.

Honestly, it shouldn't matter what the other kids are doing or not. Many groups are mixed levels - with large skill variations. Coaches should be differentiating.

This most definitely! I was worried b/c DD is a bit ahead of most of the girls in her group and I had several talks with the coaches to make sure that she wouldn't be bored. I was nervous but I have been pleasantly surprised that they have done a good job of differentiating for her this summer. She is working on some basics (that need refining) and working on some new skills that she is excited about getting.

It may be worth setting a meeting to talk about what she will be working on since her skill set may be a bit ahead of others in her group. And you can ask them what their plans are for this group and your daughter. That was another helpful question I asked because it showed me that the end goal was the same for me and the gym which makes it easier to sit back and trust the process.

I would suggest to talk to the coaches, or better yet someone who makes the move-up decisions, like head coach or gym owner.

My DD was in a similar situation once. We switched from Xcel Bronze at the old gym to JO in the new gym with an intent to compete level 3 in the fall. At the end of the summer we were told that she was not ready for 3 and will compete 2. We were specifically told that as a level 2 she will not be allowed to practice level 3 skills until the end of the season, so I was frustrated and worried that she would get bored. I talked to the owner and we agreed that DD would go to an extra practice on Saturdays where she will be working on her L3 skills, and as soon as she is ready, they will move her up. It worked out well, she competed 3 meets as L2, and was moved up at the end of December, and competed as L3 for the rest of the season.

So, talk to them, there might be a compromise. Maybe she can practice with L3 group until the end of summer, and then drop down to L2 if still not ready. Or practice with L3 group once a week so she can keep progressing. Or something else. You never know until you ask.

Just turning 7 is still very young, and most girls this age are still struggling somewhat with overall body control, strength, and getting the little details and such. It's not so uncommon that gyms might hold back a younger girl for these kinds of reasons, even if her skill level is above the rest of the group. Another year of 'basics' can be great for a young gymnast if this is the issue (and I agree you should request an open dialog with your coach(es) to understand more on what they want to see develop in her this season and how they plan to get her there). Of course, not all girls will be motivated by basics (including conditioning and form work), and some of these girls will ultimately prefer Xcel for their focus on skill development over maximum precision. But also as others have noted, it will be up to you to plant the right seeds in your daughter's mind to understand the benefits of training in whatever group she is in and not see her placement as being 'held back'. I'm sure you're well aware that if she senses that you are displeased at all, this will obviously work against her.

If after talking to coaches, you still don't feel secure that they believe in her, or have a plan for her, then getting her evaluated elsewhere for a "2nd opinion" and exploring another gym's philosophy might be what you need.

The truth is half the gyms would probably move her up, and half would probably hold her back. The ones that move her up aren't necessarily going to be 'better' for her long term gymnastics success. Trust in the coaches is really #1. Figure out if you feel you can trust their plan for her. If so, then help your daughter work to her best ability in her group. If not, time to explore other options.

But your DD is not ready for L3. All gymnasts have events that they're stronger on and events they're weaker on!
I've seen level 10 beam routines at a level 8 meet. It doesn't mean that kid should be a level 10. She just has uneven skills.

Maybe this is why it's challenging then, they're not differentiating with her. It makes sense though that she could stay in this class if they actually cater to where she is. Unfortunately, my DD is back to doing basic pullovers and back hip circles again for example. They did vault and the coach just kept using her as the example. Again, she can repeat L2 again. That's not so much the issue here. It's that she's not learning anything in her current class and is herself frustrated in this current class. She's at this in between of perhaps not ready for L3 but not as basic as what they're teaching in our L2.

I would suggest to talk to the coaches, or better yet someone who makes the move-up decisions, like head coach or gym owner.

My DD was in a similar situation once. We switched from Xcel Bronze at the old gym to JO in the new gym with an intent to compete level 3 in the fall. At the end of the summer we were told that she was not ready for 3 and will compete 2. We were specifically told that as a level 2 she will not be allowed to practice level 3 skills until the end of the season, so I was frustrated and worried that she would get bored. I talked to the owner and we agreed that DD would go to an extra practice on Saturdays where she will be working on her L3 skills, and as soon as she is ready, they will move her up. It worked out well, she competed 3 meets as L2, and was moved up at the end of December, and competed as L3 for the rest of the season.

So, talk to them, there might be a compromise. Maybe she can practice with L3 group until the end of summer, and then drop down to L2 if still not ready. Or practice with L3 group once a week so she can keep progressing. Or something else. You never know until you ask.

That could be a good option... I'm open to many things. I would be fine even if she stayed with L2 but was allowed once a week to train with the 3s to keep her interest and keep progressing. I think what I've learned is the need to sit down and hear from the coaches making the decisions to I can feel better about what their plans are for her.

Yes, I think the missing piece to this puzzle is I need to hear from the coaches their reasons, goals, etc... for her so I understand.

Once we heard (through a letter she handed me) that she's staying L2, we also heard she has another new coach. I tried to be very positive at first but my own DD came home frustrated she wasn't learning anything. And again, I tried to tell her it may seem that way, but they'll work on your form, etc... but they're not unfortunately once I got a chance to watch one practice a week or so later.

Just turning 7 is still very young, and most girls this age are still struggling somewhat with overall body control, strength, and getting the little details and such. It's not so uncommon that gyms might hold back a younger girl for these kinds of reasons, even if her skill level is above the rest of the group. Another year of 'basics' can be great for a young gymnast if this is the issue (and I agree you should request an open dialog with your coach(es) to understand more on what they want to see develop in her this season and how they plan to get her there). Of course, not all girls will be motivated by basics (including conditioning and form work), and some of these girls will ultimately prefer Xcel for their focus on skill development over maximum precision. But also as others have noted, it will be up to you to plant the right seeds in your daughter's mind to understand the benefits of training in whatever group she is in and not see her placement as being 'held back'. I'm sure you're well aware that if she senses that you are displeased at all, this will obviously work against her.

If after talking to coaches, you still don't feel secure that they believe in her, or have a plan for her, then getting her evaluated elsewhere for a "2nd opinion" and exploring another gym's philosophy might be what you need.

The truth is half the gyms would probably move her up, and half would probably hold her back. The ones that move her up aren't necessarily going to be 'better' for her long term gymnastics success. Trust in the coaches is really #1. Figure out if you feel you can trust their plan for her. If so, then help your daughter work to her best ability in her group. If not, time to explore other options.

Apologies if my posts sound frustrating too. It's is frustrating to read all of the great progress your gymnasts are making (which I'm sincerely excited for your children too!) but see that our summer is wasted so far. There are no straighter legs, pointed toes, better form, nothing. No new skills she's working on... nothing. And the icing on the cake is my child, who LOVES gymnastics, doesn't want to go because she's not learning anything (and she's perceptive and sees girls from her previous class learning new things). I'm venting here so as not to vent elsewhere I guess so I appreciate your feedback and ear. If I haven't said it yet, Thanks!

I understand your frustration. With my DD, it was between L3 and L4. She practiced with the L4s half the time in the season leading up to the decision to keep her at L3 (common for groups to mix around - others were doing the same). In my mind, it was clear she belonged in L4, even though she still had some things to polish (but it was only May, and meets weren't until September). But she was a year younger (she was 8), the L3 group was smaller than L4, and in her case, honestly, I think they just didn't have room in L4 and also wanted her solid scores in L3 for the team.

After the decision, I spent the season watching coaches pay most attention to the new L3s who didn't have a mill circle or a BHS yet. My DD just kept doing routines (she had a kip already in L3). I had the talk with coaches about the plan for training toward L4 since she already had those skills (just not super clean yet). They promised that she (and "all the girls") would get to work on new skills individually as they progressed. It never happened. From May-December, nearly zero training of anything other than L3 routines. The girls she had held pace with in L4 got better, while she pretty much stayed the same other than some maturity. She won everything that season. That was 'fun', but gymnastically, she would have been better served working on L4.

So I have been there. This was our unique experience. It turned out my DD has since surpassed all but 1 of the girls in that L4 group. We are now at a different gym where uptraining is the norm (for everyone). Repeating is fine because they DO work individually with each gymnast as her progress permits. It is night and day.

So understand the plan for your DD, and see if you find confidence in this coaching team. Watching only 1 practice won't give you the whole story, so perhaps observe some more if possible. Be open-minded and aware of the possible 'mom goggles', but also follow your gut. It's tough. But if your daughter isn't happy, you're not feeling quite right about the coaching plan, and you have other options, then you may wish to explore them.

. That's the point of my post... what do you do with a kid who's in between levels but clearly frustrated she is in with girls who are so far behind her. I guess it might mean finding a more advanced L2 team elsewhere unfortunately.
In our gym if you are between levels you pretty much stay at the lower level.

They will have a more successful season at the lower level. Your daughter doesn't get this yet, because she is relatively new to the process.

This has been my daughter every year she has competed. Including the first year she stayed back at 2. And trust me she was not happy about an extra year at 2 until she saw how much stronger and better she got. And how she improved in placements at meets. She is now L6 possibly 7 but likely staying 6 for at least part of the season. She nearly always spends some time on the podium at all meets including states. And there are girls she started with a no are now at higher levels. Not necessarily better gymnasts by routine, but they got their skills quicker. It's the way it goes.

In the interest of full disclosure our gym uptrains.

Your gym maybe uptraining as well, what appears to be not much happening maybe very important drills.

Also as the skills get harder the steps and time to get them take longer.
Gymnastics becomes much more like "work" and like "fun". They have to love the work of gymnastics. And they need to realize things like patience. And it's not what everyone else is doing.

And they need to group kids where they are at. Fair is not everyone getting the same thing, it's everyone getting what they need. By all means have a sit down with the coaches. Decide you trust the process or find a new gym. But your and your daughters focus needs to be on her work and effort after that.

When we switched gyms last August, our new gym put DD back at 2 (they are much more competitive and focused on form than our old gym) but did allow her to practice with the level 3s once a week so she could keep working those skills. She ended up having a fantastic season, capping it off when winning states on 2 events and AA, and now has all her level 3 skills with pretty darn good form. Her confidence has improved tremendously, she is much stronger, and I think set up for a great level 3 season. Maybe you could talk to her coaches about something similar??

Thank you for your post!! Really, because this is exactly, exactly, exactly where we are, except L2 and L3. I really do not want to change gyms, and now will talk with a coach next week who decides who goes to L3 so she can tell me what my daughter really needs specifically and make sure her current coach is on board to uptrain her throughout the year. I'm concerned because they're not even uptraining her now within the L2 group. I guess I'll found out more next week. Thank you!!

I understand your frustration. With my DD, it was between L3 and L4. She practiced with the L4s half the time in the season leading up to the decision to keep her at L3 (common for groups to mix around - others were doing the same). In my mind, it was clear she belonged in L4, even though she still had some things to polish (but it was only May, and meets weren't until September). But she was a year younger (she was 8), the L3 group was smaller than L4, and in her case, honestly, I think they just didn't have room in L4 and also wanted her solid scores in L3 for the team.

After the decision, I spent the season watching coaches pay most attention to the new L3s who didn't have a mill circle or a BHS yet. My DD just kept doing routines (she had a kip already in L3). I had the talk with coaches about the plan for training toward L4 since she already had those skills (just not super clean yet). They promised that she (and "all the girls") would get to work on new skills individually as they progressed. It never happened. From May-December, nearly zero training of anything other than L3 routines. The girls she had held pace with in L4 got better, while she pretty much stayed the same other than some maturity. She won everything that season. That was 'fun', but gymnastically, she would have been better served working on L4.

So I have been there. This was our unique experience. It turned out my DD has since surpassed all but 1 of the girls in that L4 group. We are now at a different gym where uptraining is the norm (for everyone). Repeating is fine because they DO work individually with each gymnast as her progress permits. It is night and day.

So understand the plan for your DD, and see if you find confidence in this coaching team. Watching only 1 practice won't give you the whole story, so perhaps observe some more if possible. Be open-minded and aware of the possible 'mom goggles', but also follow your gut. It's tough. But if your daughter isn't happy, you're not feeling quite right about the coaching plan, and you have other options, then you may wish to explore them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back