Parents Inappropriate Music during Practice?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ok, I don't expect to be able to shield my little girl from everything, but this issue has me flustered. My adorable little 7 year old came home from the gym singing a line from a Lady Gaga song called Love Games.

The line? "I wanna take a ride on your disco stick"

And yes, that means exactly what you think it means. I was shocked!! And I don't know what to do!!!

Personally, I listen to a good bit of music with explicit lyrics and I've heard this song on one of the radio stations I sometimes listen to. However, I don't listen to this sort of thing when my daughter is with me! In fact, I have a playlist on my ipod named "G-rated" just for this reason!

I knew that they listened to "current" music in the gym, but this has me floored! How do I approach her coach about this?? Or should I approach her coach at all? Should I talk with someone on the board of the parents' booster club instead??? Am I overreacting??

Please, what should I do??
Thanks!

Must.... resist.... temptation.... to rant.... about.... How. Much. I. Hate. Pop. Music.

*deep breath*

Anyway, I'd talk to the head coach and/or the owner and voice your concerns. You have every right to be concerned here.

Our gym always has Z100 playing, so Bella comes home singing all these weird pop songs that are not meant to be sung by a 7 yr old!! I am kind of in the same boat here as she is with 12 and older girls due to her level. I would try talking to the coach to see how it can be managed.

Good luck!

Our coaches are VERY good about not letting inappropriate songs play during gym time. We mainly listen to CDs and they send someone to change the song right away if it is explicit,etc. I don't think you are out of line at all to expect the musice playing at your daughter's gym to be appropriate. Talk to the coaches/owner.

The coaches may not even realise what the lyrics are, to them it is just the music the older kids bring to listen to. Point it out and I am sure they will work hard to keep things clean. Nobody wants their 7 year old singing trash like that.

Guilty for listening to Lady Gaga here, LOL, and my DD listens too (radio in car) but does not know meaning of lyricks yet, thankfully. However, I understand you concerns about having to hear it in the gym. When my DD was about 6 she was singing the lyricks to Flo rida's "Apple bottom jeans..." after practice. Being 6 and having speech issues, older girls thought it was funny to teach my DD, I did not. You are just going to have to put the kabosh on it & tell coach/owner nice that some music (while enjoyed by older girls) is just not appropriate. I think because the ratio of older to younger girls in gymnastics, this is probably pretty common, just not moticable to us parents at drop off and pick ups. Our new gym is very "family" and I don't hear any music played during practice, while old gym seemed to have one of the top 40 hits playing over and over again.

Gymmommy, thanks for bringing this issue up. We have the same issue in our gym. My 7 yr old was in the car with her carpool girls and they were saying lets sing a song guys... mine decided on Love Game! Thankfully I was driving that day, & it made me realize I have to address our situation as well. Anyway, I was thinking of maybe cutting a fun CD to donate for workouts that I will give to the O. We have girls on team from 5 - 20, but there are also rec classes that go on with 2 yr olds etc.

Thanks guys! It's reassuring to know I'm not just crazy! I'm going to talk to one of the coaches and hope for the best!

An email to the coach would be appropriate here- I try to police the songs in the gym, but often I cant even understand the words/ meaning!

Donating a CD w/ lots of appropriate but fun music would be very welcome & helpful!!

You're not crazy at all!!! I know it's hard to separate out the music when you've got girls ranging from age 5 to 17 in the same gym working out... but this song just drives me NUTS!! I hate it when my 14 year old hears it on the radio. She knows I HATE it and I asked her if she knows what they're talking about... of course she did, and the more I resist it (changing stations, whatever) the more she wants to listen to it......

I like the idea of donating a home made music CD!!! There are plenty of catchy songs out there w/o Lady Gaga and that one Katy Perry song (Waking up in Vegas maybe?) blasting away at the girls!

Great idea about donating a CD with good, clean songs!! I think bringing it up is appropriate as well. I know they don't know what they are singing, but someday they will. I sometimes don't realize what a song says unless I really, really pay attention, that could be happening as well.

Approach the front office or coach about it. I either have burned cd's or created a playlist on my Ipod but we would always check the playlists on the girl's Ipods when they wanted to bring them in.

At times, I've had inappropriate songs and had to run and switch'm and edit them out on the playlist.

I like burned cd's and Ipods for one major reason. No commercials which means the music stops and quite often you'll end up hearing commercials about Trojans, or Extenze, etc.

We have this issue at our gym too! The team girls range in age from 5 to 17 or 18 and 100.5 is always on at the gym. My dd is 7yo and has heard "Love Game" and several other songs with inappropriate lyrics over and over again (of course, this station plays the same songs repeatedly). I think it is time to say something to the gym owner.

Lol

My daughter came home singing C&W because her coach is a big country western fan and the lyrics are pretty clean. She did not permit any "rock" music in the gym.

Hahah. I don't permit any country in the gym. At another gym, our HC/owner didn't allow for any country. No twang allowed.

Old school country is ok by me but probably a bit slow. I don't think the girls dig my Johnny Cash and the boys think it's country-ish.

We have similar issues too, my little one has been on team since she was 5 and most of the girls were 10+ Our coaches do not allow songs with "bad words" however, subtle things like "disco stick" are permitted. With the little one, the lyrics/meanings are over her head and I tell her that it's inappropriate for her to sing these songs.

We have also dealt with this issue in our gym in the past.
Last year the song chosen for the demo dance was very sexual and I was shocked when DD was on You Tube practising the dance and reading the lyrics. I sent a polite e-mail with a copy of the lyrics (because they were sunbg so fast you really might not know what they were) and said outright if this is the song choice my DD will not not be allowed to participate. My DD really pays attention to lyrics! And coaches conversations for that matter! The gym staff always need to remember the masses of younger eyes looking up to them!
Lots of great ideas here for solutions!

We have also dealt with this issue in our gym in the past.
Last year the song chosen for the demo dance was very sexual and I was shocked when DD was on You Tube practising the dance and reading the lyrics. I sent a polite e-mail with a copy of the lyrics (because they were sunbg so fast you really might not know what they were) and said outright if this is the song choice my DD will not not be allowed to participate. My DD really pays attention to lyrics! And coaches conversations for that matter! The gym staff always need to remember the masses of younger eyes looking up to them!
Lots of great ideas here for solutions!

Just curious--did you hear back from the coaches in response to your e-mail?

Absolutely! I heard back within the week. The coach removed the lyrics from the song but the team still used it. I would have preferred something that didn't require doctoring but was content with the compromise for that season.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back