Coaches Incentives for Coaches

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey guys! At my gym, we have a problem with some coaches not being "peppy"/happy and fun enough. They know their gymnastics, but are on the boring side when it comes to teaching. We really don't want to lose any kids because their instructor was boring. So, I was wondering if any of you guys do something at your gym to encourage your coaches to teach gymnastics in a fun manner. Right now, the only thing I can think of is a "Coach of the Month" and that coach gets gift card or something like that. Any ideas would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance!

"Most fun game" contest between coaches for each event/conditioning/flexibility? Just a thought. My head can see both pros and cons to that idea.

While I think that's an area that coaches can absolutely work to improve, I also think to some extent it's a matter of personality. I know a number of coaches who are on the more quiet/reserved side who have a great relationship with the kids they coach and have lots of fun in their classes, just not necessarily in the same ways as the more outgoing coaches. So offering rewards sort of favors one type of coach over another which I don't think is in the best interests of a program.
I think more than energy/peppy-ness is how well coaches do at engaging their classes. For some coaches, this does look like games, fun, energy, and excitement. For others, it's much more subtle. Keeping an eye on all the kids and seeking out the kid who is struggling, noticing kids who don't work well together, celebrating with a kid when they accomplish something hard. I think there is a huge difference in a coach not being energetic and peppy and a coach not being engaged.
Offer ideas to coaches on how to engage their classes- and include a wide range of ideas to include different personality types. Let them know what you want to see, and be watching for it. When you see a coach doing something you appreciate- tell them! Especially when it's coming from the coaches who might not be the loud ones who are hard not to notice.

At my gym, we have an old instructor from years ago do reviews sitting out in the waiting area... she watches from afar, listens to parents, and watches coaches on things like attentiveness, supervising kids, spotting appropriately and being hands on, and looking like they are having fun and controlling class. They get (small) pay bumps for doing things well, they get extra training if they aren't doing as well ;) They can also get these pay bumps if their supervisor notices certain things out on the floor and gives them.

I also go over what I am doing out on the floor with some of the younger staff, or coaches who don't have very fun ideas. I either show them or tell them, and make suggestions about things that might be fun options. I always have a plan b and c! :)

I think a lot of the lack of enthusiasm comes from just not quite knowing what to do yet! We do not have a big problem with this at my gym, but we also have some really great coaches who have been coaching for years! Having role models and mentors for younger staff has been really essential for us!

My biggest tip is really making sure your staff is working together, and making sure that the coaches are having fun (this does not always mean being crazy energetic though!) I always like to remember "If I am not having fun, my kids probably aren't either!" I am so thankful to work with people who give me fun ideas, help me if I have any kind of accident happen during class, help me brainstorm and set up, and ask if I need help if they notice a tricky kid or situation!

Maybe doing a fun outing, BBQ or a clinic on a certain skill to give ideas and brainstorm?

We have an employee of the month, but it is not particularly motivating- although it is nice to feel appreciated! We also have a coach newsletter with kudos... I have tried to get kudos started on the fridge in our kitchen but it never takes off and they all end up being from me ;)

If they are good coaches then presumably they want to engage their gymnasts and they want to find ways to improve their coaching. They are only going to become more motivated to do those things by a gift card if they are basically not good coaches who don't really want to be there. Good coaches might be rather insulted by the implication they need a voucher scheme to motivate them. Plus it is setting up competition among coaches when cooperation would be more productive.

Instead of trying to provide an incentive I think it would probably be more helpful to provide guidance. Give examples of the kind of activities they could be doing with the kids. Maybe you could make a noticeboard where coaches can share their ideas for fun activities or gymnastics games.

Also consider the ages and type of group. Some of the coaches are perhaps in the position of knowing their gymnastics but not knowing their child development. Maybe you need to think about what you can do to improve their knowledge in that area.

Encouraging discussion and cooperation among coaches is one way to do that. You could use shadowing or mentoring systems. You could have meetings where coaches discuss what is and isn't working with particular groups and get input from colleagues. You could choose coaches who are strong in particular areas (like working with younger children, or running particularly engaging classes) to run coaching workshops to disseminate their approach to other coaching staff.

While I think that's an area that coaches can absolutely work to improve, I also think to some extent it's a matter of personality. I know a number of coaches who are on the more quiet/reserved side who have a great relationship with the kids they coach and have lots of fun in their classes, just not necessarily in the same ways as the more outgoing coaches. So offering rewards sort of favors one type of coach over another which I don't think is in the best interests of a program.
I think more than energy/peppy-ness is how well coaches do at engaging their classes. For some coaches, this does look like games, fun, energy, and excitement. For others, it's much more subtle. Keeping an eye on all the kids and seeking out the kid who is struggling, noticing kids who don't work well together, celebrating with a kid when they accomplish something hard. I think there is a huge difference in a coach not being energetic and peppy and a coach not being engaged.
Offer ideas to coaches on how to engage their classes- and include a wide range of ideas to include different personality types. Let them know what you want to see, and be watching for it. When you see a coach doing something you appreciate- tell them! Especially when it's coming from the coaches who might not be the loud ones who are hard not to notice.

You hit the nail on the head on everything. I was talking to my parents about this and we all said the same thing. That it was all personality. I am not a bubbly person at all, but I show excitement when a kid makes positive correction or gets a new skill, whereas some of these coaches do not do that. Also, I like that you are using the term engaged. Because ultimately, I think that's what my boss really meant. English is not her first language, so it can create some barriers at times. And I think that's really the problem. They are not engaging the kids enough. Like you said, paying more attention to kids that are having trouble and getting creative and coming up with different drills or a different way to word the corrections so it makes sense.

Thank you! Very helpful.

I agree, and some kids may prefer less loud teachers so I think it's fine, HOWEVER they should be showing enthusiasm and attentiveness to their class and showing they care. In my experience when you have this problem it is usually more the teacher being inattentive and unenthusiastic rather than just not being loud or peppy enough.

So to solve it, training and policies about being attentive in class (make sure you can see the whole circuit, no talking to other instructors, etc) and training to make sure they have enough ideas to fill up the lesson. It may help to involve the group in lesson planning as well at group meetings.

Thank you all for your input! I agree 100% with what all you guys said. English is not my boss's first language, so while she said "peppy" maybe she meant more engaging and attentive like you guys were saying, which, hopefully, will be easier to handle. Occasionally, we do do a meeting with the rec coaches and go over different drills and what to look for. But I like the idea of them going over what works and doesn't work for their classes and anything they struggle with. Make it a more open ended discussion. And possibly have them come up with a lesson plan together for all of them to use for the month and get them all working together.

We also have a very young staff, so I believe that plays a big role in this whole situation too. All of the rec coaches are in high school with one or two in college. So, most of them are here most likely because their parents told them to get a part time job.

I really appreciate everyone's input. You guys have given me a lot to consider and talk to my boss about.

I agree, and some kids may prefer less loud teachers so I think it's fine, HOWEVER they should be showing enthusiasm and attentiveness to their class and showing they care. In my experience when you have this problem it is usually more the teacher being inattentive and unenthusiastic rather than just not being loud or peppy enough.

Gymdog is correct, loud does not always equal good. Some of the best coaches are sotto voce and can encourage with just a smile. Most times when I coach rec I am happy and engaged. On the days I'm not happy and engaged - I fake it! Because that's what I'm paid to do. Sorry to be an old ranting old guy, but that's the job. If your kids are not leaving the gym happy (rec kids), then the coaches are not DOING THEIR JOB! As a manager you can teach them to be better coaches, or you can be a boss and insist they use the skills they have. Coaching is like acting: You may not be the person in the script, but you have to appear as that person. A long time ago a boss told me, "I don't pay you to like your job, I pay you to do your job" That always stuck with me. What I found was that when I do my job well, and can make a kid smile because of some small accomplishment - I actually do like my job. Win-win.

Gymdog is correct, loud does not always equal good. Some of the best coaches are sotto voce and can encourage with just a smile. Most times when I coach rec I am happy and engaged. On the days I'm not happy and engaged - I fake it! Because that's what I'm paid to do. Sorry to be an old ranting old guy, but that's the job. If your kids are not leaving the gym happy (rec kids), then the coaches are not DOING THEIR JOB! As a manager you can teach them to be better coaches, or you can be a boss and insist they use the skills they have. Coaching is like acting: You may not be the person in the script, but you have to appear as that person. A long time ago a boss told me, "I don't pay you to like your job, I pay you to do your job" That always stuck with me. What I found was that when I do my job well, and can make a kid smile because of some small accomplishment - I actually do like my job. Win-win.

No need to apologize for "ranting". I loved that you were very blunt, and up front. Now I need to be blunt and up-front with the coaches.

I believe the rec coaches need to try to actually get to know the kids. Talk to them about their day and find out the things they like and dislike. It's a lot easier to be engaged and attentive when you know the kid.

You're also dead on with enjoying your job because you did your job right and taught the kids something new. We have the kids ring the bell if they get a new skill, but I would say the bell is definitely under used. I'm guilty of this as well, so this is an area that can be improved for sure.

Thanks for your input! I appreciate it!

It sounds like maybe you need to have a staff meeting that lays out what exactly is expected of the staff- reminding them that this is a job and they need to take responsibility for their work. I had to have a chat with one of our staff members over the summer (an adult) that this is a job that he is being paid to do and that he needs to take ownership- that means more than just showing up at the time the class starts and waiting for someone to tell him what to do. That he should come in, ready to engage with the kids from the first minute of class, and if there is every any uncertainty about what his role is in a class it's his responsibility to come in a few minutes early and ask. These things are sort of ingrained in me because I take gymnastics so seriously and I sometimes take it for granted that everyone feels the same way, but for people who are just coaching as a fun side job or as high schoolers, sometimes these kinds of things need to be explicitly told to them.
Do you have lesson plans for classes? The gym I'm at is very lax in class planning, sort of leaving it up to the coaches. So for the coaches who are less organized it can mean lots of class time spent setting up or thinking through what to do next instead of being actively engaged with the kids. In the classes I teach, I've started setting up stations on whatever events the new coaches are on before class and walking them through it before the class begins. This enables them to think less about what to do and more about working with the kids as they do it. Eventually I'm hoping they will get enough ideas for stations that I will no longer need to actually set up the circuits for them and just say "today the focus is rolls and handstands, set up 4-5 stations." But at this point, they really just don't have the skills to do that.
Have a staff meeting- provide pizza or snacks and provide pay for their time- go over responsibilities and offer practical ways to help fulfill them. Maybe have some of your more experienced staff members come in and offer advice on what works for them. I don't think there really is a formula for getting to know the kids, it really depends on the kid and the coach, but it is SO important. Knowing which kids love praise and which just need a small and quiet high five. Which kids hate going upside down and which kids will attempt to throw any skill that comes out of your mouth before you even explain it. And you don't need to be an exceptional technical coach to do those things!
We have a bunch of new and inexperienced staff at the moment, so I can totally relate.

aside from games you may want to let everyone know that coaching children means you leave all emotions and problems at home. If a person cannot do this then they should not work with kids. :)

You mentioned your staff was young - chances are they are/were competitive gymnasts who are used to a very different kind of training. A 17 year old level 10 may have a lot of gymnastics skill knowledge, but chances are they don't remember being a rec kid and what those classes are like.

Also, even though these may be one hour rec classes, I have had some rec parents that really expect a lot out of a class, so you have young instructors, who are expected to make the class fun but at the same time teach gymnastics skills, and on top of that you may have a class of kids who are all 6, but many different skill levels.

So it could be that they don't appear "peppy" because they are still not 100% confident that they are coaching the "right" way. From personal experience I find it easier to be more fun/relaxed/engaging when I feel in control of the class/situation, and this has gotten easier the longer I have coached.

Also it is helpful to find some of your senior staff who are good at teaching younger coaches and maybe point them out as people your younger staff can go to for ideas, etc.

I think some of it is probably newer/younger coaches struggling to find confidence being in charge. People in this thread have had great suggestions about how to help people get acclimated to coaching. But if you are having trouble keeping or hiring experienced coaches, that may also be a problem with the way the gym treats its staff. Adequate pay, adequate breaks, trying to listen for staff preferences re: ages/levels/classes, accommodating staff schedule preferences to the extent possible, keeping class sizes manageable, making it possible for coaches to take an occasional day off (especially if sick). If we'd had just a couple of those things in place, I might still be coaching. I think all that is better for morale than an occasional fun staff bonding day (though those are also good). Not sure if OP is in a position to give input on any of those things.

Quiet/reserved, surly/grumpy, and unsure/nervous are three different things and should be dealt with in separate ways.

Quiet/reserved is fine IMO, as long as the coach is still correcting the gymnasts.

Surly/grumpy is a problem which coaches need to check. It's their job not only to teach gymnasts, but to promote a positive and encouraging environment. I don't think this should require an incentive, it should be an expectation. Those who struggle with positivity can be gently reminded (maybe they didn't realise how they were coming across, or that it is inappropriate), and if they persist, be reprimanded. As a child, I disliked being around teachers/coaches who didn't want to be there, and it's actually the reason I quit gym as a child. So yes, I'd be demanding on this front.

Note that resolving surliness does not have to be exuding excessive happiness. It just needs willingness, motivation, and an encouraging approach. If the coach has that mindset, regardless of how they present it, the children will know.

Uncertain/nervous means the coach needs more support. It's difficult to be happy without being confident. This requires a conversation with the coach to find out what they're struggling with, and to find a way to help them. I took my first 5-7yo solo class a few days ago and let me tell you, I was not a happy or peppy coach, I was a stressed one and I went to sleep that night knowing the gymnasts probably didn't enjoy themselves, either. In contrast, I took a kindy class this morning where I knew exactly what I was doing, and everyone (including me) had an infinitely better time!

Hope that gives you some food for thought.

5 questions.

1. Are the coaches enjoying their work?
2. Do they feel like they are good at what they do?
3. Do they have goals?
4. Do they feel like they are continuing to learn and grow in their profession?
5. Do they feel like their work is valued?

If any of these areas are missing, then there will be issues. Find out what's missing, and see what can be done.

give them stuff to give away. emoji key chains are all the rage at my gym right now

No need to apologize for "ranting". I loved that you were very blunt, and up front. Now I need to be blunt and up-front with the coaches.

I believe the rec coaches need to try to actually get to know the kids. Talk to them about their day and find out the things they like and dislike. It's a lot easier to be engaged and attentive when you know the kid.

You're also dead on with enjoying your job because you did your job right and taught the kids something new. We have the kids ring the bell if they get a new skill, but I would say the bell is definitely under used. I'm guilty of this as well, so this is an area that can be improved for sure.

Thanks for your input! I appreciate it!
The way our coaches get to know the kids is that during stretching, they ask them questions... Favorite cereal, fav candy, where they are flying (while doing butterflies, they can fly anywhere), dif stuff each time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back