WAG indentify wrist injuries in an early stage

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

mandy

Hello!

My DD has never had any wrist issues. Her besst friend had it, because she overworked them last summer training and it has not gotten better since. I really really don't want to deal with anything like that in future, so I will do everything that my child can be in gymnastics as long as she wants to, without any wrist issues!
I would appreciate if anyone could help me!

My daughter is now working on press handstands a lot, which requires a lot of leaning forward and overstretching the wrist. (She is very mobile, wrist can bend beyond 90°, maybe 110°)

She doesn't feel any painn at rest, but she says when she tries to bend and lean forward it's a mild discomfort, especially in her left hand. When not warmed up and doing a handstand (which does not happen often!) she feels this discomfort as well. It's actually not the wrist exactly, but a little more above.

I don't want to go to the doctor yet, he will do nothing but tell us to rest as well.

So what I thought about was resting the wrists for about 2 weeks now (just doing some straddle and L-Sits on paralletets, because she needs to work on those!), doing some stretching and strength work fo the wrists every day.

After 2 weeks she should check if sypmtoms are gone, if not, wait another week, but maybe doing handstands, cartwheels and light stuff already in training.

And as a prehab I thought about stretching and strengthening the wrist everyday, for L-Sits, Straddle L-Sits, Planche work and Push-Ups (she does home conditioning) she should use paralletes and for handstands she does at home wear tiger paws.

In gym she should be careful, not mess around too much and stop when feeling discomfort or pain and rest for 1-2 days.

What do you think about our "plan"?

What could happen if she doesn't stop training and keeps on stressing her wrists?

What are common wrist injuries in gymnastics, how do I identify them in an early stage and what are the treatments?

unfortunately, some pain is normal. and like everything else we deal with, we don't know there is a REAL problem until its to late. your plan sounds fine though, but from experience i can tell you that most of us have plans just like that and *&^% still happens. :)

My dd (l6) had wrist pain for a while. This year she was doing well and training hard. This past December she fractured a growth plate, went back after dr released her for her sport. Two meets later and she is casted again and going for MRI. Wrist injuries are common. Each time my dd has injured herself she wasn't using her tiger paws. You sound like you have a good plan. Extra rest is good and more wrist strengthening exercises will help a lot. Good luck.

No guarantees because this stuff happens to some extent to many kids. For many kids the pain disappears after a few hours, and for some it doesn't. The best preventative I can think of that you haven't noted is a specific strengthening exercise that works well.

Get a ten inch length of closet rod. Sand it smooth if there's any raised woodgrain that may scuff skin. Drill a hole at the middle and thread a 1/4 inch diameter rope through the hole and tie a knot at that end. Tie a light amount of weight (1-4 pounds) to the other end of the line (long enough to hang from shoulder height without hitting the floor). Once that's set up......

Have her hold the closet rod (now the stick) at shoulder height with the weight hanging at the complete length of the rope. Rotate the stick, using on hand followed by the other, to wind the rope around the stick until the weight is reeled in and hits the stick. Reverse the hand motion to lower the stick and keep rotating that direction while the weight lowers to it lowest point and is wound upward to the stick.

Start light and slowly work up over the course of two weeks from half height repetitions to full height repetitions. Have her do this every other day, and tell her to eat her spinach, as she'll begin to look a little like popeye the sailor with totally buff forearms.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back