WAG Inform college coach about scratching meets

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gigi

Proud Parent
A couple of college coaches asked my daughter to send her meet schedule which she did a while back, but now it looks like she may only compete one event or scratch the whole first meet due to an injury. Both coaches are out of town and neither indicated that they were attending the meet. They probably have meets of their own. Should she inform the coaches about it or let them find out on their own when they check the score on public score sites? I almost don't want to bring up an injury topic if not necessary but not sure about the protocol. Any thoughts? Thanks!

A couple of college coaches asked my daughter to send her meet schedule which she did a while back, but now it looks like she may only compete one event or scratch the whole first meet due to an injury. Both coaches are out of town and neither indicated that they were attending the meet. They probably have meets of their own. Should she inform the coaches about it or let them find out on their own when they check the score on public score sites? I almost don't want to bring up an injury topic if not necessary but not sure about the protocol. Any thoughts? Thanks!
They are probably looking to follow her season. Keep them updated and infirbed, even about scratching meets or events

I will echo what others have said...
If they asked for her schedule, they are following her season's progress and will appreciate any updates you have to share, good or not so good. It is always best to be up front and let them know in advance why she isn't competing or is scratching events.

Thanks all!

One more detail I forgot to include. The communication has been sort of a one-way since sending the schedule several months ago. There isn't really any ongoing dialog, just my daughter sending videos whenever she has one, so she doesn't have an opportunity to just bring it up during an email exchange and say, hey FYI I will be missing next meet due to xyz. She feels awkward writing a special email just about that and worries they won't remember who she is (hopefully not the case). It isn't so much about hiding an injury, its minor anyway. In fact, she doesn't even think she needs to miss any gym time, it is mom and dad who don't want her to risk further injury and told her to rest a few days, but unfortunately it bumps up to a meet. We are conservative, I know.
I totally get it that it would be better to let them know beforehand in case they are following her. Sometimes it is hard to think through things when in the middle of the situation so I am very glad for your advice.

Yes, it's great to be upfront but should the gymnasts also email details regarding poor performances and post videos with poor performances/falls and send these to coaches?

ALWAYS be up front....give them the facts, and updates and you will be known as honest and not trying to hide things!

Thanks all!

One more detail I forgot to include. The communication has been sort of a one-way since sending the schedule several months ago. There isn't really any ongoing dialog, just my daughter sending videos whenever she has one, so she doesn't have an opportunity to just bring it up during an email exchange and say, hey FYI I will be missing next meet due to xyz. She feels awkward writing a special email just about that and worries they won't remember who she is (hopefully not the case). It isn't so much about hiding an injury, its minor anyway. In fact, she doesn't even think she needs to miss any gym time, it is mom and dad who don't want her to risk further injury and told her to rest a few days, but unfortunately it bumps up to a meet. We are conservative, I know.
I totally get it that it would be better to let them know beforehand in case they are following her. Sometimes it is hard to think through things when in the middle of the situation so I am very glad for your advice.
In the situation you described, I would label the email with something like "updated schedule" and attach or copy/paste the previous email to the bottom of the new email in case the coaches are uncertain of previous correspondence. As long as she includes her name and info, they will "remember" her.

Since you mentioned the disagreement with your dd about missing practice/meet, are the coaches in agreement with you or with your dd?

Yes, it's great to be upfront but should the gymnasts also email details regarding poor performances and post videos with poor performances/falls and send these to coaches?
Interested coaches would want to know what went wrong, so providing an update on what happened would be the way to go. I wouldn't send video of a disasterous event unless they asked for it, but if most of the routine went well and there was just an uncharacteristic fall, there's no harm in sending it with an explanation.

In the situation you described, I would label the email with something like "updated schedule" and attach or copy/paste the previous email to the bottom of the new email in case the coaches are uncertain of previous correspondence. As long as she includes her name and info, they will "remember" her.

Since you mentioned the disagreement with your dd about missing practice/meet, are the coaches in agreement with you or with your dd?

That's a good idea. It seems less awkward. Thank you.
The coach wanted her to continue at first but now agrees she should nip it in the bud.

Reactions: sce
From what I have been told by the men’s coaches, (women could be different) they like to see full meet videos. So all the events in order- the good and the bad. They want to see how the athlete handled the fall, performed after it etc. they also want skill highlight videos on new skills but the full meet videos give them a picture of who the athlete is.

From what I have been told by the men’s coaches, (women could be different) they like to see full meet videos. So all the events in order- the good and the bad. They want to see how the athlete handled the fall, performed after it etc. they also want skill highlight videos on new skills but the full meet videos give them a picture of who the athlete is.
Totally agree with this! I also sent video in meet order.

If it was a casual request, like "send us some video updates through your season", I'd send the highlights/good routines (Also, I'd put these on the YouTube or whatever recruiting channel you use). If they are more actively recruiting, they may request all the videos, in which case don't censor anything. There can still be a lot of good stuff in a routine that has a fall. Plus, they would see it in the score anyway. I wouldn't try to explain "what went wrong" - I assume they can see from the video what happened.

Off topic here, but she appeared to have an amazing meet this past weekend! Good for her! Your gym’s one level 4 competed with us and we tried to cheer extra hard for her at awards!
THANKS! yes from last week with two falls to this week was much better. Her back was bothering her and it's getting better so I think that made the difference!

Has anyone been in a situation where two coaches want to come to the same meet? How did you handle that? I mean, it is weird to let one coach wait to speak with you, right? How about at JO Nationals where all the coaches are there? It seems so awkward. We are not in the situation but just curious.

Has anyone been in a situation where two coaches want to come to the same meet? How did you handle that? I mean, it is weird to let one coach wait to speak with you, right? How about at JO Nationals where all the coaches are there? It seems so awkward. We are not in the situation but just curious.
Well, they can't really talk to you unless you are on campus and old enough so that's good! We have had more than one coach at one time. I think it shows them there is competition and peaks interest if that makes sense!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back