MAG Injured shoulder

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

Madden3

Proud Parent
So, 3 weeks ago, my son injured his right shoulder while warming up pbars at his first meet. Best guess is it momentarily partially dislocated. This week we saw the orthopedist who recommended surgery to repair torn labrum. Surgery is in 3 weeks. Dr. estimated 6 months after surgery before full gymnastics training.

My son is in good spirits, but this is a blow. He missed the 2018 season and about 5 months of full training due to a bone bruise in his left shoulder caused by impact of tumbling wipe out at the pre-season practice meet. That would have been his season as a Level 7. He diverted into JD for last season and did well, and the plan was to do another year of JD this season and then compete level 9 next year. Obviously those plans may well be blown up now. He is 13. Next season, he will be comp age 15. On the other hand, he is only in 7th grade this year, so he has 5 more possible competitive seasons after this one.

This will be the first of my kids to need surgery. I am a bit worried and of course sad for him.

On the bright side, Dr. was confident DS can (eventually) return to full training and competing.

Oh man. Poor kid. I know this is definitely scary! I can only imagine. Please keep us posted! I will be keeping him in my thoughts! Good luck. When is he having the surgery?

Thanks! Surgery is in 3 weeks. That was the soonest they could do. Ortho doc he saw (for previous injury as well) is the surgeon, and my son trusts him.

A positive anecdote: My friend had surgery to repair a torn labrum. (She tore it oly lifting.) It was 12 weeks before she returned to light activity and 9-12 months before she felt capable of training at 100% - so it was frustrating and did require patience, but she can use it fully now and is exceeding her previous abilities. So I’m sure he can get back to gym! And being young, he may even heal faster.

For what it’s worth! :)

That is a long road to recovery, but not something you want to rush, even though I am sure he will be pushing to get back out there! My DS had to watch his meet today and not compete for the first time due to a broken foot. Somehow I think they come out stronger after, but the waiting isn't fun. Keep us updated in 3 weeks and hope his healing is speedy and successful!

DS had surgery on his shoulder yesterday. Very long day in hospital and he was pretty miserable last night, but he slept ok and is in good spirits this am. Surgeon said surgery went well. It was touch and go but Mom survived the surgery;)

I am glad to hear that things went well. I hope recovery is complete and smooth! Keep us posted on his progress.

Glad he (and you!) are through the surgery. I hope he continues to improve and has an easy and uneventful recovery! Thanks for the update.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back