Coaches Injury and Workouts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

newbiecoach

I have a gymnast (prep op novice team) who broke her wrist a few weeks ago. She loves the gym and cannot be kept away. I welcomed her to contine working out obviously staying away from anything related to her arm.

It fairly easy to keep her busy on beam and floor with dance skills and dance throughs of routines. She is learning more difficults jumps and turns.

It gets tough when we get to vault and bars.

She does the vault warm up with the team but then spends some time on the tramp or tumble trak working on tucks. I have also had her doing squat ons onto the level 4 vault mat to work on hitting the board and arm circles.

Bars I am at a loss. All other events are busy when we are in the gym so giving her two rotations of beam or floor isnt always an option when it is I take it but when its not she ends up doing conditioning and gets bored really quickly.

She loves the sport and I dont want to see her bored, she will be in the cast until February.

We have a big gym with all kinds of equipment just not tons of room, we have a large team and rec program. Any ideas to keep her busy would be great!
Thanks!

Honestly it seems like you are doing everything to let this kid keep doing all the gymnastics she can do. I'm not sure how old she is but maybe she could be like a little helper to you when she gets done doing what she can. I know that when I watch people learning new things it can be hard, but she is doing that by being in the gym anyways. And plus she could learn a lot from watching and trying to help you.

I'm not sure if that is a possibility but that's all I could think of, sorry. I just know when I was injured it was nice to be able to help out a little to feel important still.

Same thoughts as TD, it is very hard to keep a gymmie busy when they have a hand injury. Letting her help with the younger gymmies is a great idea, I know when my DD was injured it was a very tough time for her, she could do beam and bars but no running.

FOrtunately your gymmie will be out of the cast soon and will be back to the gym.

Sounds like you are a great coach and you are doing a great job.

I like the idea of having her help out. I had a gymnast as young as nine years old helping me out by being an extra pair of eyes looking for bent legs and such. She was one of the best in the group, and the other girls respected her and appreciated her comments. She was also very proud of the fact that I was having her help "coach"

Could the gymnast help with simple corrections on events when she is supposed to be on bars? If a lower level group is in, they may look up to her and be excited about her help.

Identify what she cannot do on bars, and work from there. On bars you really have 2 options
support skills or swing skills. Is she can't do either (this includes drills), than you really nothing more you can do, and you continue doing what you have been doing. Giving her some specific conditioning that she can do, including for bars.

If she can swing well than you can work virtually any swing element, is she can support but not swing..well than work support skills. Depending on the wrist injury one will be ok and the other won't..

Alternatively you can use that bar time to have her work on other skills on other apparatus that she don't normally do. For example back layouts (go straight to the layout, because it will be better in the long run)....she does not have to learn it, and its something new, so she will have fun with it, and will not be getting bored

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back