WAG Inspiring Gymnasts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SXS524

Coach
Gymnast
So a little while ago I posted here about how I had started a new development squad and that this was the first squad I had coached. There's been a few little wobbles but overall I'm pleased with how the girls are progressing :)

The girls train 3 hours a week once a week (1.5 hours, followed by half an hour lunch break followed by another 1.5 hours) and are all 7 years old. The aim is for the girls to compete grade 14 next year.However I didn't know whether to try and inspire the girls a little more- we're a small rec club, and this will be the first time we've entered "artistic" competitions, the top girls in the club at the moment can round off flick and still only enter rec comps. I'd say form isn't heavily emphasised at the moment. I'm concentrating on good form in this development squad..but having come from fun rec classes I think the girls possibly think I'm being very picky haha!

So I kind of feel there's not so many gymnasts for the girls to look up to and they've never seen how neat artistic gymnasts are.. I didn't know if it might be an idea to show the girls a youtube video of a gymnast competing in grade 14 in attempt to inspire them-so they know what they're working towards and how neat they need to be? (e.g ) That said they won't be competing grade 14 for at least a year, although they will be competing at our club champs in a few months time. What do you guys think-good idea or unnecessary? I am planning on doing a skills chart as another way of keeping the girls motivated..

Could you take them along to a grade comp or other local regional comp to watch? Day out, get to see some higher level gymnasts, team bonding etc, and fairly inexpensive.

Or do you have a nearby club with higher level kids? Could you approach them and ask to observe a session or two, or even join in- school holidays tend to be good for that. We're at a club with very limited facilities, so our HC has cultivated good relationships with several local centres, so the WAG girls get roughly a day a week in school hold with the novelty of full. sprung floor areas, pits etc...

Thanks for the responses :)
Yes there are other local clubs with higher level gymnasts, think if I took them there I'd be worried I'd lose them to other clubs with better facilities :p
I am going to watch a county grades comp coming up but that's more for me to find out information from other coaches and get a greater feel of the standard. Plus it's coming up soon so don't think it would be enough warning for the parents. I suppose I could possibly look into taking them to watch a regional grades comp in just over a months time? Not sure how the parents would feel though as it would be about an hours drive and at the moment the girls only train once a week and won't be competing in grades till a years time o_O

Quick update-Recently I showed the girls the video above and wow, it really had an effect! They hadn't been having the best off sessions (bit too silly/lazy), I showed them the video mid session and they were amazed how neat you could be, and kept asking whether that girl had won the competition etc. The rest of the session they worked so hard bless them :)

I suppose I could possibly look into taking them to watch a regional grades comp in just over a months time? Not sure how the parents would feel though as it would be about an hours drive and at the moment the girls only train once a week and won't be competing in grades till a years time o_O

Could you hire a mini-bus rather than the parents all having to drive and come too. You would certainly want to get a few parents to come along to help keep an eye on the kids since it would be a rather less controlled environment than you usually have them in.

Sticker charts seem to work well too, the first one to so many stickers gets to chose a game or a treat

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back