Interesting Article

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MaryA

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
This article isn't directly gymnastics related, but I think it's interesting from the standpoint of praising effort in our kids vs praising innate ability. There have been several posts recently about the value of continuing with gymnastics when your kid is not a "superstar" and I think this is a good article about not only the value in trying hard (even if you "fail"), but also the ENJOYMENT that comes from making that sort of effort.

The Power (and Peril) of Praising Your Kids -- New York Magazine

This is a great article!!! It's interesting that you post this now, because I just started reading Po Bronson's book called "Nurtureshock". Such an eye-opening book and will really change the way you look at your kids. Thank you so much for sharing this!!!

Just added "Nurtureshock" (pre-order of paperback edition) to my amazon "cart." Thanks for the recommendation!

Effort is always key to me.My oldest DD and I were discussing this yesterday when talking about grades at school. My kids have always known that the score on the report card that I value the most is the effort score. The other things pale in comparison. Pulling in B's with little effort is not pleasing, but pulling in a D, with wroking to the best of her ability is very pleasing.

I will check out the book, great link.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back