WAG Interesting turn: Bela and Martha Karolyi suing USA Gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Poor Marta and Bela...NOT!

Their interview on Dateline only proved why they should fry with everyone else at USAG....to listen to them tell it they were basically running a hotel on their grounds that USAG rented out but they had nothing to do with or any say in what was happening there...it was ALL USAG according to them....Marta knew who ate salad dressing with their lettuce so I'm sure they knew something was amiss....and IF they didn't, they created the climate of hostility, fear and intimidation that allowed a Nassar to flourish....and too bad Marta , it happened on your watch, the buck stops with you.

They probably want to settle with USAG and figured suing first would put them in a better position to do so. Expect a countersuit shortly.

I'd hate to be the special master who has to handle all the claims and cross claims likely to come out of this mess.

They probably want to settle with USAG and figured suing first would put them in a better position to do so. Expect a countersuit shortly.

I'd hate to be the special master who has to handle all the claims and cross claims likely to come out of this mess.

Do you mean a settlement releasing the Karolyis from any responsibility to indemnify USAG for abuse that happened at the ranch, or damages for breach of contract? I am guessing that the real goal here is the former.

The news today say they are suing because USAG backed out of buying their ranch and they wanted to recoup the loss from the sale....uh, real estate sales fall through all the time .....

The news today say they are suing because USAG backed out of buying their ranch and they wanted to recoup the loss from the sale....uh, real estate sales fall through all the time .....
Agreed. I would think that whatever is in the purchase contract would be what will hold up in the end.

Like if you are buying a house and you pull out of the purchase, oftentimes the seller gets to keep your earnest money. It should all be spelled out in the contract as to what would happen.

True to an extent. I work in Commercial RE so we deal with sales of this size regularly, and maybe the laws are different in Ontario than they are in Texas with regards to RE but here they would absolutely have grounds to sue (for the sale of the ranch) if the USAG backs out of the deal and:

1. There was a firm and binding deal in place (all the conditions of the transaction have been met and/or waived)

2. The value of the property has DECREASED since it has been bound under contract to the time of the buying party backing out of the deal. For example (with arbitrary values): USAG placed the building under contract for $1MM. 6 Months following the contract being made, USAG backs out of the contract (breach). Now, the value of the building would have to be determined at the time the contract was broken (by an appraiser). If the building is now worth $2MM ($1MM increase in value in the 6 months), the Karolyis do not have grounds to sue for damages. However if the building was valued at $500,000 - The market has decreased the value of the building during the time USAG had it under contract, and thus owe the selling party damages.

Even if the purchaser backs out, and the value of the building has increased... the court would order for the deposit monies to be returned to the purchaser without deduction.

The reasoning behind it: In the courts eyes, you can re-list and sell the building at a higher value than what it was originally tied up for. You are going to make more money. That is why returning deposits & paying damages only really happens if/when a building has decreased in value.

Hopefully that makes sense?... LOL

How much longer can we realistically expect the USAG to be an actual operating entity? When I think about it I have a hard time believing there will be a USAG when competition season starts in the fall.

Thoughts?

How much longer can we realistically expect the USAG to be an actual operating entity? When I think about it I have a hard time believing there will be a USAG when competition season starts in the fall.

Thoughts?

Hard to believe that anything that has to do with law and courts could happen that fast.

Good point. I personally would prefer to be free of the mess. Allowing the gymnasts in higher levels a chance to resume their dreams.

Good point. I personally would prefer to be free of the mess. Allowing the gymnasts in higher levels a chance to resume their dreams.

I don't mean to be obtuse, but how has the horrible, disgusting Nassar mess and all that comes with it caused higher level gymnasts to not be able to pursue their dreams? College recruiting is still happening, training for elite, Worlds, etc is still happening, Westerns/Easterns is this weekend, JO Nationals is next weekend. I don't see how their dreams have been interrupted by this disgusting mess.

USAG still exists today. I envision USAG bankrupt sooner than later, of course, I could be wrong. To me, no USAG means local gym competitions, no states, no regionals, no nationals, no US team. Of course, a new governing body will come along and institute something close to what is currently being utilized, but at what cost to the athletes? Not trying to project doom and gloom more looking for others thoughts on the future of gymnastics in the US.

This thought came into my head when my daughter asked me if I thought she would make it to regionals next year. I did not think about her having the talent or skill, I thought more about would there be a regional.

USAG still exists today. I envision USAG bankrupt sooner than later, of course, I could be wrong. To me, no USAG means local gym competitions, no states, no regionals, no nationals, no US team. Of course, a new governing body will come along and institute something close to what is currently being utilized, but at what cost to the athletes? Not trying to project doom and gloom more looking for others thoughts on the future of gymnastics in the US.

This thought came into my head when my daughter asked me if I thought she would make it to regionals next year. I did not think about her having the talent or skill, I thought more about would there be a regional.

There are people waiting in the wings with some great ideas that can work. The machine might change, but the concept would carry on.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back