WAG International Dev trial

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gym Bananas

Coach
Proud Parent
hi all, my daughter is 4.5 and will be doing a 3 hr trial for an International Dev team in a couple weeks.
What can we expect from this trial, what sort of things do they look for in that age group? We are in Vic, Australia. Thanks

I am assuming you are going to the NCE in Victoria for the trial?

At 4.5 they will not be looking for any particular level of gymnastics skill, they often encourage kids to try out who have never done gymnastics before. First and foremost they will look at her height and body type, if she is to tall or does not have the body type they are after they won’t consider her.

Then they will get her to run and jump and climb and swing, it should actually be quite fun but they will be watching for natural strength, flexibility, speed, coordination, balance and agility.

I’m sorry but it makes me sad they are first and foremost looking at body type in a child who is 4.5 years-old!
Maybe, but this is not a gymnastics club. The NCE is the National Centre of Excellence. The goal of the program is to develop gymnasts through the elite program and represent Australia at an international level. There are a limited number of factors you can use when you select your elite kids when they are 4-6 years old.

Australia is not at all like the US, we don't have elite coaches spread all over the country. There are only a very small number of coaches and facilities capable of taking a child to the international level, so different systems are put into place in order to get kids with elite potential into those gyms and in front of those coaches. This has to be done at an early age, as most coaches don't really know what has to be done at 4-6 to ensure kids are ready for international competition at 14-16. I am not saying it's an ideal system or that it even works, we don't exactly have a track record for amazing international success. But I am not in a position to change it.

When we say body type, this isn't just height etc. there are certain physical factors that can make a child more prone to injury if placed under an intense training regime.

I am also very deliberately pulling no punches for the OP. Entering an international development program is not something to be entered into lightly. Even if selected at any stage a child may be kicked out, and it could be for reasons that are entirely beyond a child's control (like getting too tall). If you aren't prepared for the reality of how these programs work, avoid that road and attend a normal gymnastics club.

Thanks
Aussie_Coach that sounds ok if they do it that way. I would prefer the trial in a fun environment. It’s actually not at NCE it’s in Geelong in a new program I believe.
She’s currently in a squad and I understand how full on ILP can be. I don’t expect her to get in and I’m happy for them to provide me with feedback and tell me where she’s at or even put her in a different program within the club.
Yes they do look at body type even at this age so I’m interested to see how it all works.
I’m 100% committed to what she wants to do in the future whether it gymnastics or another sport:)

I was going to say geelong - i saw them advertise their open trial for Devo squad. YMCA Geelong I believe actually has a bit of a more well rounded approach than the NCE used to have. NCE is definitely not taking any younger gymnasts at the moment, in fact, parents had to fight to keep the 2024 eligible kids at the gym. Most of them have left and headed back to clubs now anyway with the structure change. I know that 2 of the current geelong coaches have previously been at NCE in some capacity or other over the last few years.

The will be looking only at ability to listen, follow instructions, and I'm guessing doing basic physical testing. Generally they look at flexibilty in splits and bridge (doesn't have to be great, just potential) speed down the vault run, and upper body strength with a rope climb, or chin up test. They will likely look at some basic skills too, but will be aware than many may not have any gymnastics background at the younger ages. The premise is are they physically suited to gymnastics (they may ask for parents and grandparents heights) and do they like going upside down ( fear factor ).

I like geelong's program for a few reasons, they already are established and were a strong feeder for NCE upper levels for a number of years. They already have a well established ALP program, so there are lots of options within the club if the accelerated pathway (elite) doesn't work, and they have, from what I've heard, a good approach to family connectedness etc.

At 4.5 it is likely to be a pre-squad, non competitive start, although i am not sure. And the big hours don't generally start for a while, i would imagine you might be looking at one or two nights at that age to begin with with a strong developmental focus on basics.

I like the sound of that, am looking forward to hearing what they have to say about her.
Yes it’s just pre squad at this stage “international Development Squad” and they will be training 5.5 hrs a week over two days.
But like I said I’m more than happy to just get an opinion at this stage. It’s hard to tell what a 4year old wants to do as they don’t really understand yet other than would you like to do more gymnastics than what you are doing!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back