International Levels Questions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Aussiegymdad

Proud Parent
Hello All

I've done a far bit of reading on here so hopefully I won't ask anything that's already been discussed.
A bit of background. DD started gymnastics this year, did a term of kindergym and a term of development squad (pre team). I wasn't very impressed with the coaching at that particular gym as they didn't really pay any attention, make corrections etc. So we made a change for term 3 (had just turned 5) and found ourselves at a great gym.
They'll be splitting the development squad off into different streams shortly to trial them and it looks like DD will be going into IL. She lives and breathes gymnastics and can't understand why she can't go everyday so I'm pretty comfortable if she ends up in IL.

Anyway I'm curious about the registered numbers in IL WAG in Australia and if anyone knows more specifically for NSW? DD loves training and is hungry to learn more serious skills, however really likes competition (though only has done 2) so I assume in IL the amount of competitions in lower levels and number of competitors is much smaller?

Anyway I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions down the track and am happy I found a place with a great amount of information.

Thanks, Aussiegymdad

There are far less kids at the International Level. Far fewer clubs offer the program, there are a lot less competition opportunities.

International levels are not about going to lots of competitions as a youngster and winning lots of awards, it is a long term program focused on developing kids to be competitive at the international level when they are teenagers.

Numbers in the lower levels of IL are still reasonable at competitions, but like NL are participation based awards not placement.
For an idea of numbers go to the gym NSW website and see the results of some of this years comps.
There are less competitions in the il stream (though how many are offered in nl depends on the club)
Not sure what sort of competitions your dd has done so far? You have to be turning 6 in the calendar year to compete in any gymnastics Australia competition in any of the gym sports, so as a turning 5 year old not sure what your dd has done to compare.

Thanks Aussie_coach, this is what I thought and as I said she really enjoys new skills so I am looking forward to jumping on the roller coaster and seeing where we end up. She got her tick tock last night so came out of training absolutely beaming with a big smile. Now she wants to do Giants haha, told her there's a few other things to learn first.

OzZee - The first was an in house event, the second I'm not sure but at both they still had judges and gave them banded ribbons - I do know all the other girls in her squad are at school so quite possible it was an innocent oversight as they seem very strict at her gym. Appreciate the information and I've had a look at the page you suggested.

Thanks for the help.

Aussiegymdad

Hi Aussie_coach and ozZee, ive seen there's new changes to the IL program, just curious if there's been any indication of what skills will be tested in the circuit of IL3?

Yes, it has been released to coaches.

Beam - mount - squat on and 1/2 turn to clear straddle hold. Turn prep is just a step and hold in forward passe (no actual turn). Straight jump. 2 forward kicks and 2 backward kicks. L handstand. Stand on the end and straight jump off for dismount.

Floor - round off, a series of rebounding straight jumps, 2 forward kicks, 2 backward kicks. A back bend to bridge and lie down, all 3 splits, handstand, cartwheel, forward roll with straight legs to pike stand, backward roll to tuck, 2 step hops, a split jump and again for turns just a forward passe hold no actual turn.

Bars - done in loops - chin up pullover, cast, back hip circle, long hang swings. Then for bars there is also a floor sequence to indicate strength which is a press to handstand and straddle down to clear straddle, v snaps, dish and arch holds and a clear like hold.

Vault - on the floor a cartwheel step in and a straight jump vault to 60 cms of crash mats.

Skill wise this level is very basic, but a high standard of strength, flexibility and technique are expected.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back